Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 28

rated by 0 users
This post has 507 Replies | 8 Followers

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 8:56 PM
leosgonewild:

That is one ugly speaker.

One thing I find for BO is that they generally look stunning in real life and nothing like what it is in a picture
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

matador43:

Millemissen:
If they should wait with launching these new product untill ‘all is done’, we’d probably would have to wait years

I'm sorry Millemissen but if you find SandyB toot harsh, I find you too forgiving.

Compagnies are now too much used to have us pay to beta test their product. 

Id they were making cars we would all be dead…

Sure, you can see it so or so.

The comparison to car manufactoring is however not fair!

That is about safety......modern audio devices are about enjoying/using sound. some prefer this and others that - this or that way of functioning.

I am forgiving because I know the company, and I know that there are a lot devoted people working there.

And as I said, I am frustrated about the missing support for Beolink as well.

But if what they do helps to keep the boat floating, I choose to be forgiving.....after all I have a pretty good working setup at home and can wait :-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 9:26 PM

Indeed - and what I find odd is that one the one hand people explain that a small company can only do so much software wise (agreed), yet many of the same place a lot of faith in the "updates coming soon" statements!!   The views are completely at odds with each other!

Of course many audio hardware makers have customers complain about software, but I'd separate out reliability from functionality. 

With B&O the scope of the provided functionality is narrowing.  Integrated streaming looks like its disappearing. The magic of touch to join has been left off recent products (on the new platform). What on earth does this mean for Gateway stye home setups, both past, present and future? And the Halo (touted as / hoped for as a wholesome music experience controller), ended up so staggeringly limited its barely believable.  All in all, extremely limited ambition and scope.

So I only see so much merit in celebrating that what has been delivered recently works with some good stability.

matador43:

Millemissen:
If they should wait with launching these new product untill ‘all is done’, we’d probably would have to wait years

I'm sorry Millemissen but if you find SandyB toot harsh, I find you too forgiving.

Compagnies are now too much used to have us pay to beta test their product. 

Id they were making cars we would all be dead…

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 9:47 PM

What I find strange about the design of the 28s is that it’s a kind of négation of the design of the 18s :

on the 18 the wooden lamellas were not a problem acoustically, and on the 28 they’re moving on the sides of the speaker to let it play even if they have the same spacing between lamellas than the 18s.

Even stranger is when you choose a fabric cover over a fabric cover!! Unsure

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
vlohjr1:

One thing I find for BO is that they generally look stunning in real life and nothing like what it is in a picture

I hope so Smile

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

BeoJosh
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 89
Bronze Member
BeoJosh replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 10:15 PM

I will be auditioning the 28s in a few days, and assuming my dealer lets me take photos, will post actual pictures--as well as my thoughts on the sound, fwiw, afterwards. My initial take: I don't think the design is as classic as my 18s, but I expect that I will be more impressed when I see them in person and I appreciate the tech upgrades (deeper bass, ARC, beam width control) over the 18s. From a purely positioning standpoint, they seem to fill the gap between the 18s and 50s. Since the B&O equipment in my setups is primarily brass tone, I wish it was available in that colorway at launch, but I'm told it'll likely come later.

Insofar as not having Deezer/Touch to Join/etc, but being able to use those features if connected to a BV, I know this because I'm considering buying them and specifically asked when I saw the specs. I'm told a software update is in the works (though I know it's been a long time coming for the Balance, and the Level), and though I'd prefer that functionality be available from the start--for me it is what it is. At this point it's more a question of how I'd plan to use the speakers. If I use them as a standalone solution, it's more of an issue for me to integrate them without those features, but as part of a multi speaker system connected to one of my Harmonys, it's less of a concern if that update comes sooner rather than later.

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Level x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3, Beosound 9000, Beogram TX2, Beogram 6500 White Edition, 4000c (on order), Beoremote One x8, Beoremote Halo x3, BLC NL/ML
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay EQ x2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi BeoJosh

Looking forward to a - hopefully coming - review from you.

Since you seem to know the specs, would you be able to share more here....it is a bit nebulous for now.

I am thinking, which use cases are possible?

MM

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 11:07 PM

Millemissen:

Maybe the lenses pop up when playing ;-))

P.S. All these comments.......don’t we hear such at every launch.

Nope. Eclipse looked good, BeoSound 1 & 2 looked good, as did the Level and so on. Even the Edge looks good (but sounds meh), whereas the A9 looks meh, but sounds amazing.

I don't think every discussion universally people don't like the product and then change their minds. I can't think of any time recently where seeing it in person has made me swing round from 'not liking' to 'I'm going to buy that!'.

BeoJosh
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 89
Bronze Member
BeoJosh replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 11:40 PM

Sure.

1 x 1" tweeter - 100 watt Class D
3 x 3" full range - 100 watt Class D each
1 x 6.5" woofer - 225 watt Class D
27-23,000 Hz
110.3 db Max Loudness
94 db Bass Capability
Acoustic Lens Technology
Active Room Compensation
Beam Width Control
Thermal Protection
Adaptive Bass Linearization 
Bluetooth 5.0
Dual band WLAN 2.4 & 5Ghz
802.11 b/g/a/n/ac
Airplay 2
Chromecast built in
Spotify Connect - built in
B&O Radio - built in
Wireless Power Link 24 bit / 48 kHz
WISA 24 bit ? 96 kHz
1 analog / optical line in (sensing)
2 RJ45 Ethernet
1 USB C
1 USB A (not for playback)
1 Powerlink RJ45 2 channels
18.6 Kg
25.3 w x 137 h x 25.3 d floor stand
21.2 w x 140 h x 25.3 d wall bracket
Remotes: Beoremote One, Halo, B&O App 

--
Beovision Harmony 77, Beovision Harmony 65 x2, Beovision Contour 48, LG GX 65/Beosound Stage/STB Stand
Beolab 50s, Beolab 28s, Beolab 18s x3, Beolab 19, Beoplay A9, Beosound Edge, Beosound 2 x2, Beosound 1 x2, Beosound Level x2, Beosound Core x2, Beoplay M3, Beosound 9000, Beogram TX2, Beogram 6500 White Edition, 4000c (on order), Beoremote One x8, Beoremote Halo x3, BLC NL/ML
Beoplay H95 x3, Beoplay EQ x2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay E8 Sport, Beosound A1 x2

Styrizo
Not Ranked
Madrid
Posts 45
Bronze Member
Styrizo replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 11:44 PM

Plus there is some movement in BL50 style but sidewards instead of upwards.

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Apr 13 2021 11:54 PM

I actually felt the moving lamellas might be a cheesy gimmick. Could they have designed it such that there was no interior cover and the exterior frets could stay stationary a la BL18? Maybe the motion will look awesome in person but I wonder why they built in this movement. On other products, the movement serves a purpose (BL50, Harmony). Here it seems movement for movement’s sake.

But I’m open minded and reserve judgment until I see them in person!

And ultimately, I’m just glad the firm keeps putting resources into higher end, aspirational products instead of $300 ear buds. I may not be a buyer but if others are and it keeps the firm going, then diff’rent strokes for diff’rent folks and that’s what makes the world go ‘round.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

BeoJosh:

Sure.

1 x 1" tweeter - 100 watt Class D
3 x 3" full range - 100 watt Class D each
1 x 6.5" woofer - 225 watt Class D
27-23,000 Hz
110.3 db Max Loudness
94 db Bass Capability
Acoustic Lens Technology
Active Room Compensation
Beam Width Control
Thermal Protection
Adaptive Bass Linearization 
Bluetooth 5.0
Dual band WLAN 2.4 & 5Ghz
802.11 b/g/a/n/ac
Airplay 2
Chromecast built in
Spotify Connect - built in
B&O Radio - built in
Wireless Power Link 24 bit / 48 kHz
WISA 24 bit ? 96 kHz
1 analog / optical line in (sensing)
2 RJ45 Ethernet
1 USB C
1 USB A (not for playback)
1 Powerlink RJ45 2 channels
18.6 Kg
Remotes: Beoremote One, Halo, B&O App 

Thanks!

That is pretty amazing - isn’t that what we/some of us have been wanting for for some time.

All that the Bl50/90 have (in their own way) plus built-in sources like the (new) sound systems.

I am still eager to learn about the use cases - the BL28 seems to be rather versatile!

As always....I’ll wait untill after seeing it in real life with any judgement designwise - although I must admit, that it from first look may take some time to get used to.

MM

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:18 AM
Is this the merging of Beolabs and Beosounds?

Even if it’s just some crossover, that’s certainly not a bad thing at all, I would agree.

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 126
Bronze Member
MaxH replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:19 AM

Footage from the launch in Wimbledon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/hi-fi-fo-fum/zjt6kmn

Smile

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Can someone explain what "Wireless Powerlink" is? And what is it connecting to?

Karel.

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 126
Bronze Member
MaxH replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 9:30 AM

I love the beam width method at 6:20 Smile

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
Posts 223
Bronze Member
andy_js replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 11:15 AM

Hopefully this is just a late April fools prank.  That thing looks like it has a cyborg hoof on the end.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

kuyttendaele:

Can someone explain what "Wireless Powerlink" is? And what is it connecting to?

Karel.

Wireless powerlink is the B&O terminology for WiSA.

Means the speaker/s can connect to all the newer BV’s wireless and the BS Moment or the Transmitter 1.

MM

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 12:03 PM

And according to the specs, Wireless Powerlink is 24/48 and Wisa is 24/96 both listed under "Wireless Powerlink" subcategory in "Connectivity" section.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 12:23 PM
matador43:

And according to the specs, Wireless Powerlink is 24/48 and Wisa is 24/96 both listed under "Wireless Powerlink" subcategory in "Connectivity" section.

Same for BL18

I wonder if Transmitter 1 is the right choice, assuming it is WPL, versus a more recent WISA third party transmitter that should be able to deliver higher frequency / bit rate? For those who could ear the difference ...

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

B&O uses 24/48 to avoid transmission problems - WiSA is max 24/96.

But it would be nice with a genuine explanation from B&O about these terms.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

MaxH:

Footage from the launch in Wimbledon

https://www.bbc.co.uk/archive/hi-fi-fo-fum/zjt6kmn

Smile

The video is fun, but I fail to see the link to ‘Wimbledon’ and ‘launch’....but maybe that is due to the fact that I might not understand british humor ;-)

MM

MaxH
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 126
Bronze Member
MaxH replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 12:33 PM

In the first minute the narrator talks about 'a man from Wimbledon'.

Good that you thought it was fun, but I guess if I need to explain it obviously doesn't travel well :-(

Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 1:47 PM
Millemissen:

B&O uses 24/48 to avoid transmission problems - WiSA is max 24/96.

But it would be nice with a genuine explanation from B&O about these terms.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Which still occurs though.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

AlexDavis
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member
AlexDavis replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 1:58 PM

It looks interesting, but its resemblance to a plunger does not leave my brain.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 4:26 PM
Millemissen:

As I wrote.......when/if you want them to be part of a multichannel setup - as front speakers or surround speakers.....

MM

I’d be very curious whether this can only be done via wisa or part of mozart? in other words, will the elevate and other speakers eventually be possible to be included in a surround setup.
Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 4:52 PM

Got the invite as well, and have booked presentation this Saturday.

Looking forward to hear and see the new speakers.

xegoon
Not Ranked
Posts 24
Bronze Member
xegoon replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 5:34 PM

I miss David Lewis...

_BeoSound Essence / _BeoLab 3 + BeoLab 2 / _BeoVision 6-26" MKII (HDMI version) / _Form 2

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member
Millemissen:

Wireless powerlink is the B&O terminology for WiSA.

Means the speaker/s can connect to all the newer BV’s wireless and the BS Moment or the Transmitter 1.

MM

Is’t it strange then that Wisa & Wireless Powerlink are mentioned underneath each other? Seems like 2 different connection technologies
Michael
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,578
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Wed, Apr 14 2021 8:54 PM
kuyttendaele:

Is’t it strange then that Wisa & Wireless Powerlink are mentioned underneath each other? Seems like 2 different connection technologies

Probably just a mistake. Just a it says on beolab 50 that there is a tile that Beosound core fits into, which isn’t true either.

And when I got my new eclipse mk2 it was stated that it didn’t have Spotify connect but it does (twofolds even).

B&O is notorious for writing the wrong specs in early brochures and tech specs for new products.

Anyway, I hope it will be a success no matter what. B&O has always created curious designs and that has changed with the times and looking into the future I’m sure they try to adapt to what is coming.

Beolab 50, Beolab 8000 x 2, Beolab 4000 x 2, 
BeoSound Core, BeoSound 9000, BeoSound Century, 
BeoLit 15, BeoPlay A1, BeoPlay P2, BeoPlay H9 3rd Gen, BeoPlay H6, EarSet 3i, 
BeoVision Eclipse Gen 2 55", BeoPlay V1-40, 
BeoCom 6000 and so much else :)  

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:43 AM

moxxey:

Nope. Eclipse looked good, BeoSound 1 & 2 looked good, as did the Level and so on. Even the Edge looks good (but sounds meh), whereas the A9 looks meh, but sounds amazing.

I don't think every discussion universally people don't like the product and then change their minds. I can't think of any time recently where seeing it in person has made me swing round from 'not liking' to 'I'm going to buy that!'.

The fact is that the BL28 is in the "golden meh looking product category" : BL9s were "meh", BL20s were "meh", so they tried a different way (big BL18s which are in the "wow" category) and the result is this different "meh" product. I think it's just difficult to add more volume than BL18 and still lokk elegant. You see that with the BL50 : that's the size and look of a classic speaker, nothing really B&O appart from the finish. To try to get the hearts of classic B&O lovers they just put some useless movement in a last "design" effort...

The only "big" B&O speaker that was well seen by design enthusiats was the Penta. Maybe they should bring a Recreated Penta to please everyone ?

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

When is it realeased?

The 3D render is so bad in the app, that you dont really get a feeling on how it looks.

A very bad first impression.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:07 AM

Emil Jensen:
The 3D render is so bad in the app,

You find? Even if you can clearly see it's 3D, i find it well done, you can actually get aroud the speaker, down to the bottom to see the floating column and the backbone, the events on the foot and the top plate with bacligted commands. You can also see the two crowns moving when opening the curtains.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I wonder how it will look wall-mounted.

MM

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

matador43:

Emil Jensen:
The 3D render is so bad in the app,

You find? Even if you can clearly see it's 3D, i find it well done, you can actually get aroud the speaker, down to the bottom to see the floating column and the backbone, the events on the foot and the top plate with bacligted commands. You can also see the two crowns moving when opening the curtains.

Yes, but you do not get the sense of the materiel, the texture in the wood and alu.

It makes a big difference IMO.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 9:07 AM

Millemissen:

I wonder how it will look wall-mounted.

MM

What I wonder about wall-mounting it is that I guess the feet may house a subwoofer and I suppose it's firing downward like the feet shape implies and it is in Beosounds 1, 2, Beolab 5, etc…

If you wall mount the speaker, the bass driver would play against the wall which in case of dry walls would make it resonate or at least vibrate a lot?

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

matador43:
...i find it well done, you can actually get aroud the speaker...

I agree. As a matter of fact, I changed my opinion about the look now that I could see it in 3D through that AR app. Now I am actually intrigued to see it "live". And listen, obviously. Big Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

There actually is a wall bracket from B&O for it - so they must have thought of how that will work.

N.B. Why it is wider on a floor stand us hard to imagine :-o

MM 

Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16