Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 28

rated by 0 users
This post has 507 Replies | 8 Followers

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 1:38 AM
Millemissen:

Tak Emil.

‘ Both speakers can be master/Slave you just choose in the app’ - that sounds very interesting.

When this is due to the Mozart platform, it could mean that we also might be able to adress the other speakers on that platform individually.......in order to make pairs.

How are the two 28 speakers connected to each other....or rather how were they connected, when you were there? And did they play as a music system, were they connected to a BV?

Congrats on the Emerge - will we hear more about that here?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

These are the questions i’m most curious about...

We can already stereo pair most b&o speakers either via CC (beosound pre-mozart and mozart) or when connected to a wisa capable television / moment (beolabs).

The key question is whether mozart will support some b&o proprietary pairing or even surround. This would allow to bring mozart speakers into a surround, which would be a game changer.
Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 2:30 AM
steve1977:

Have you thought a wall-mounted harmony?

I have thought about it. I think it would look awkward to have the speakers extending behind the 50s as they open and close.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I wonder when they will be launched and available on the B&O website. Who designed them?  

I quite like them, plunger aside. I think they would suit my house.  I was wanting BeoLab 20s in white, but i think these will also be appropriate.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 8:03 AM
Razlaw:

I have thought about it. I think it would look awkward to have the speakers extending behind the 50s as they open and close. Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

What about using the BL50 as rears for movies? And then using them as stereo pair for audio?

that’s a setup i’m considering, so curious to hear your thought.
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 12:19 PM

Aussie Michael:
Who designed them?

Noto: same designer as BL90 and 50, Moment, essence remote according to their website.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 1:20 PM
steve1977:

What about using the BL50 as rears for movies? And then using them as stereo pair for audio?

that’s a setup i’m considering, so curious to hear your thought.

That would not work in my room. Do not have space in the rear and have 12-3s wall mounted already for rears.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 2:13 PM
Exclusive: Inside the BL28 !

Big Smile Thanks to the B&O Experience app...

And more seriously, close-up of the foot

Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

That levitating design is super awesome. 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sun, Apr 18 2021 8:26 AM
CB:

Wow!

Love that.

And more seriously, close-up of the foot

Aresus
Not Ranked
Posts 4
Bronze Member
Aresus replied on Sun, Apr 18 2021 1:46 PM
just saw the beolab 28 behind the window (that is not a window to showroom) in B&O in Vienna
Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Sun, Apr 18 2021 4:24 PM

Definitely looks more promising than in the AR...

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

wanc1
Not Ranked
Posts 29
Bronze Member
wanc1 replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 7:10 AM

So what is the release date exactly?

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

wanc1:

So what is the release date exactly?

The 29 April

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

js
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 382
Bronze Member
js replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 1:57 PM

Will BL20 be discontinued and replaced by BL28?

Or will BL28 be an addition to the range above BL20?

VANTAGE
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
VANTAGE replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 2:26 PM

My understanding is that BL20 will be discontinued. Pricewise, the two models are going to be too close to each other anyway...

Current: Beovision Eclipse 65" v1 - Beolab 50 - Beolab 28 - 2 x BS2 (GVA) - 1 x BS1 (GVA) - Beoremote Halo - H9i

Past:

Beovision MX4000 - Beovision 3-32 - Beovision 7-55

Beosound 9000 - Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5

Beolab 6000 - Beolab 8000 - Beolab 5 - Beolab 3 - Beolab 17

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 3:04 PM
VANTAGE:

Pricewise, the two models are going to be too close to each other anyway...

Do we have UK or even Euro pricing yet?
VANTAGE
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
VANTAGE replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 3:16 PM

I read earlier a price of around DKK 90k for the BL28 (to be confirmed of course). A pair of BL20 currently retails at DKK 74k.

Current: Beovision Eclipse 65" v1 - Beolab 50 - Beolab 28 - 2 x BS2 (GVA) - 1 x BS1 (GVA) - Beoremote Halo - H9i

Past:

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

VANTAGE:

I read earlier a price of around DKK 90k for the BL28 (to be confirmed of course). A pair of BL20 currently retails at DKK 74k.

With Wood, cheaper without.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 3:51 PM
VANTAGE:

That’s less than I expected. How interesting!

As my old boss would have said “you can’t even buy a decent bottle of wine for that price” Wink
Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 6:41 PM

My dealer said ~$15,000USD, so probably a bit more, then.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

VANTAGE
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
VANTAGE replied on Mon, Apr 19 2021 8:55 PM

Remember that in Europe, the prices are given with taxes... 25% in the case of Denmark.

Past:

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Duels:
VANTAGE:

That’s less than I expected. How interesting!

As my old boss would have said “you can’t even buy a decent bottle of wine for that price” Wink

I want to have a drink with your boss... and you of course :-) 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 1:11 PM
Aussie Michael:

I want to have a drink with your boss... and you of course :-)

Ha.

He’s no longer with us unfortunately. But the rumours that he got poisoned by a cheep bottle of wine are unfounded.

BeoAnna
Not Ranked
Posts 78
Bronze Member
BeoAnna replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 1:41 PM

Curly:

Ouch.

Admittedly however as far as aesthetics go I'm starting to warm up to these speakers; but I still struggle with some design decisions and the price certainly isn't helping especially when comparing them against the Beolab 20's.

It doesn't matter how anyone wants to spin this but physics are physics and you'll only be able to push so much air with 6.5" woofers. You just absolutely cannot overcome and compensate for this and anyone who as ever heard the oomph from 14" or larger subwoofers will know exactly what I'm on about. There's a huge difference between 20Hz level with the rest of the frequency response versus say 50 or 60Hz that's been exaggerated in attempt to overcome the laws of physics; and yes some of my music does go that low.

Much like many of you though I prefer a 2.0 system without a subwoofer and I was sitting on the thought of buying a pair of Beolab 20's as a compromise for a very long time; I simply couldn't ever for the life of me decide whether or not I could live with the way they look, and if I'm going to sacrifice aesthetics there's a long list of active studio monitors with gargantuan woofers for me to choose from.

I was originally hoping that we'd see a more direct replacement to the Beolab 20's with the 28's but my gut kept telling me that the 28's in all likelihood would be more of an upgraded 18 than an upgraded 20 (the name was kinda a giveaway in my opinion, haha).

Ultimately my love for B&O primarily comes from my appreciation of the brand's design language and just how much it compliments my tastes and style, but I am first and foremost a music lover and acoustics will always come first. There will no doubt be many of you who will buy this speaker and enjoy it, and I can fully respect that.

As a final note I do very much like the direction B&O is going forward with their new audio platform though, especially with respect to how the 28's will presumably no longer require a Core or more annoyingly the Transmitter-1; this is definitely a huge step forward for those of us who do not own a BeoVision and would still very much like to conveniently enjoy B&O's audio products. Way back when I was procrastinating getting a pair of 18's along with a 19 I always found it rather ridiculous how the Core both didn't have WiSA and more importantly the subwoofer bass management functionality of a BeoVision or the Transmitter-1 and equipment clutter -- even when out of view -- isn't my cup of tea.

My dream has always been the 50's though, but that's way out of my budget. Maybe in 5 to 10 years from now!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 2:22 PM

the combination of 18s and 19 for music was always unsatisfactory for me (as a stereo purist admittedly).

B&O have a long way to go in upping the streaming capability / flexibility of their speakers.  I do like that you can stream directly to the 28s - thats a highly welcome step forward.  But remember that there are increasing numbers of active streaming (stereo) speakers now - and a good number of them include AP2 / CC / Roon readiness etc.

This platform agnostic out of the box capability has become much more the norm in recent years - there is nothing to celebrate in B&O doing the same. They just need to get on with the platform migration, make it clear what streaming protocols are supported, and how their own remote controls will interact with Mozart (and older) stuff, and also what BLI automation / integration will be possible going forward.

f

BeoAnna:

Curly:

Ouch.

Admittedly however as far as aesthetics go I'm starting to warm up to these speakers; but I still struggle with some design decisions and the price certainly isn't helping especially when comparing them against the Beolab 20's.

It doesn't matter how anyone wants to spin this but physics are physics and you'll only be able to push so much air with 6.5" woofers. You just absolutely cannot overcome and compensate for this and anyone who as ever heard the oomph from 14" or larger subwoofers will know exactly what I'm on about. There's a huge difference between 20Hz level with the rest of the frequency response versus say 50 or 60Hz that's been exaggerated in attempt to overcome the laws of physics; and yes some of my music does go that low.

Much like many of you though I prefer a 2.0 system without a subwoofer and I was sitting on the thought of buying a pair of Beolab 20's as a compromise for a very long time; I simply couldn't ever for the life of me decide whether or not I could live with the way they look, and if I'm going to sacrifice aesthetics there's a long list of active studio monitors with gargantuan woofers for me to choose from.

I was originally hoping that we'd see a more direct replacement to the Beolab 20's with the 28's but my gut kept telling me that the 28's in all likelihood would be more of an upgraded 18 than an upgraded 20 (the name was kinda a giveaway in my opinion, haha).

Ultimately my love for B&O primarily comes from my appreciation of the brand's design language and just how much it compliments my tastes and style, but I am first and foremost a music lover and acoustics will always come first. There will no doubt be many of you who will buy this speaker and enjoy it, and I can fully respect that.

As a final note I do very much like the direction B&O is going forward with their new audio platform though, especially with respect to how the 28's will presumably no longer require a Core or more annoyingly the Transmitter-1; this is definitely a huge step forward for those of us who do not own a BeoVision and would still very much like to conveniently enjoy B&O's audio products. Way back when I was procrastinating getting a pair of 18's along with a 19 I always found it rather ridiculous how the Core both didn't have WiSA and more importantly the subwoofer bass management functionality of a BeoVision or the Transmitter-1 and equipment clutter -- even when out of view -- isn't my cup of tea.

My dream has always been the 50's though, but that's way out of my budget. Maybe in 5 to 10 years from now!

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 3:36 PM

I love what Anna said. 
+1 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Amazing....all these opinions on a speaker that hardly anyone has heard or seen (in real life) and that is not launched yet.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 4:52 PM
Millemissen:

Amazing....all these opinions on a speaker that hardly anyone has heard or seen (in real life) and that is not launched yet.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

One didn’t need to see the Edge in real life to see it’s shortcomings, as an example.

Seeing the Balance in the flesh won’t suddenly (and didn’t) make people reassess its design merits

I’d give people a bit more leeway and credit for making some impressions. After all , these days you get a pretty good all round view of a product these days even before visiting a store.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I did not expect you to agree.

Forgive me for being a bit more rational.

However, once I have experienced it a couple of times I’ll post my ‘impressions’ as well., you bet.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 5:15 PM
I didn’t realise I (and others) were being irrational when we saw the Edge and realised it’s extremely limited applications

Must have been pure luck that that turned out to be entirely correct, whether you saw it in real life or not

Or perhaps that initial judgment was entirely rational, even before seeing it. Now that would be amazing...
Beosince98
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 274
Bronze Member
I don’t know that it is about the Beolab 28, but to me they look a bit cheap on all the spy shots I have seen. I don’t know if it is the mix of material or simply the pictures that I have seen, but they just don’t look that great. I think I would have preferred them without the lamellas and the touch Interface ay the top (although I think they look ok with black lamellas and fabric).
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:01 PM

Sandyb:
I didn’t realise I (and others) were being irrational when we saw the Edge and realised it’s extremely limited applications

I've made mostly correct decisions from seeing the style, design and presentation of a B&O product before I've seen it in person. I've never changed my mind seeing something online then in person.

The BL28 looks awful. like something from 1997. Shiny chrome? Really? But that's what old-skool B&O users like. Old fashion design. So it works. And I respect that.

Ironically I liked the design of the Edge (still do), own an Edge, but wouldn't recommend an Edge. Sounds....weird. I own the Balance, not sure I'd recommend that either. I own a BeoSound 1, I probably would recommend this. I own a Level, would recommend that purely for portability. I own two (don't ask!) BeoSound 2's, 100% recommend these. Awesome. Look great, sound amazing.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:02 PM
But you haven’t seen them in the flesh how can you judge?
Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:09 PM
moxxey:

I've made mostly correct decisions from seeing the style, design and presentation of a B&O product before I've seen it in person. I've never changed my mind seeing something online then in person.

The BL28 looks awful. like something from 1997. Shiny chrome? Really? But that's what old-skool B&O users like. Old fashion design. So it works. And I respect that.

Ironically I liked the design of the Edge (still do), own an Edge, but wouldn't recommend an Edge. Sounds....weird. I own the Balance, not sure I'd recommend that either. I own a BeoSound 1, I probably would recommend this. I own a Level, would recommend that purely for portability. I own two (don't ask!) BeoSound 2's, 100% recommend these. Awesome. Look great, sound amazing.

So just the BS2 then?
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:29 PM
moxxey:

Indeed - while MM is right that rushing to judgment can be ill advised, that’s not always the case at all

I’d separate as follows- some products, like the Edge (weird limited use cases) and the Balance (weak design) don’t need viewing in real life . The Halo also falls into this category.

Others have less obvious or concerning issues, be they design or functional specifications. For those, experiencing the products can sway you one way or another.

The 28’s look fine, if a tad “not special “. No one seems to rate them highly design wise as they do the 18’s from what I can see

If they play only with the lamellas open, that to me is a major flaw. In that they look good when not used, but worse when being used. Odd to me.

I’ve no need for them anyway, but I do like that they can be streamed to directly. Active streaming speakers (as opposed to just active speakers) are a necessity in the range (other brands have already done this)

henrik
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 458
Bronze Member
henrik replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:38 PM

Duels:

While the AR app does not do the surfaces etc justice, what it shows is of course enough to decide whether you think it is a balanced design or not. The window photo alone shows me that the design is much to busy for my taste – there is so much going on in that design, in a way it's the total opposite to the very clean design of the BL8000 even though some basic shapes are similar.

Of course the finish might be much better IRL, but my issues with this design is not about finish but rather the whole design idea.While it on the surface has some B&O dna (the lamellas, hints to the bl8000/18, the top wheel, etc etc), it does not share the elegant simplicity that graces b&o's classic designs. In fact, I can't think of any other B&O product design from the last 20-25 years that is so over-complicated as this one. 

This is only my personal opinion and I fully respect the opinions of other members, of course, but please don't assume that everyone need to see the product IRL to have a qualified opinion :)

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:55 PM

Exactly - this is not 10-20 years ago.

What with in depth YouTube videos, even B&O's website, and in this case a damned AR app to let you experience the product (in all but sound), these days you can get a pretty good idea of where you stand on a products presentation and design.

Of course one doesn't need to fall in love with a design to buy a product - I dont love the 50's design, think they look a bit bland in their standard dressing, but they are sensational sounding, and dressed up with the right grills / side panels, they loo good enough, sound more than that, and hence I bought some recently.

But if the product has significant issues, design or functionality wise, one doesn't need to see them.

Some of course may have a different, more wait and see approach, which is perfectly fine and understandable. 

But that does not need to apply to everyone - some things will stand out as troublesome more obviously to some at the outset.

henrik:

Duels:

While the AR app does not do the surfaces etc justice, what it shows is of course enough to decide whether you think it is a balanced design or not. The window photo alone shows me that the design is much to busy for my taste – there is so much going on in that design, in a way it's the total opposite to the very clean design of the BL8000 even though some basic shapes are similar.

Of course the finish might be much better IRL, but my issues with this design is not about finish but rather the whole design idea.While it on the surface has some B&O dna (the lamellas, hints to the bl8000/18, the top wheel, etc etc), it does not share the elegant simplicity that graces b&o's classic designs. In fact, I can't think of any other B&O product design from the last 20-25 years that is so over-complicated as this one. 

This is only my personal opinion and I fully respect the opinions of other members, of course, but please don't assume that everyone need to see the product IRL to have a qualified opinion :)

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 7:59 PM

When something rings your bell you just know - you can feel the yearning. You can always appreciate the construction materials, finish and attention to detail but it's all about that first wow and that you can stare at them and never cease to admire. Of course different things will do this for different people. Taking a design classic like the 8000 and nailing on bits to make the 18 I thought was sacrilege (Iike painting a necklace and tiara on the mona lisa) - this is so much worse, any last semblance of grace, elegance and purity has been wrestled away leaving something a focus group would have asked for. I prepared to wager MM's house that I won't be changing my mind when I see them up close!

Ban boring signatures!

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 8:33 PM

Indeed - but according to MM you're being irrational.

So as a self professed rational one, he should accept your bet!

Joking aside, its beginning to feel like a while since they designed a really iconic product. The A9 and the 90s would qualify to most people, even they dont have uses for either.

Of the recent bunch, only the Level looks up to scratch - and indeed that seems to be the one thats had the best reception (without even seeing it, heaven forbid). Seeing the Balance and the Emerge won't alter their humdrum design.

The 28's at least dont look humdrum - they look decent enough, but they are sure as hell iterating away the elegance of the 8000, and 18s bit by bit. I'm sure they sound excellent though, which I guess cannot be overlooked.

Puncher:

When something rings your bell you just know - you can feel the yearning. You can always appreciate the construction materials, finish and attention to detail but it's all about that first wow and that you can stare at them and never cease to admire. Of course different things will do this for different people. Taking a design classic like the 8000 and nailing on bits to make the 18 I thought was sacrilege (Iike painting a necklace and tiara on the mona lisa) - this is so much worse, any last semblance of grace, elegance and purity has been wrestled away leaving something a focus group would have asked for. I prepared to wager MM's house that I won't be changing my mind when I see them up close!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Apr 20 2021 8:55 PM
henrik:

Of course you need to see it in real life. Otherwise you are just guessing.
Page 4 of 13 (508 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS