Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beolab 28

rated by 0 users
This post has 507 Replies | 8 Followers

Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member
Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

I posted other pictures, but they are awaiting an approval from a moderator. The speakers are very interesting. They have an illusion of floating over the base. The bases also fold over when mounted to the wall. There’s a dial on top for volume, etc. controls. 

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 9:48 AM
Invictus005:

Absolute winner
Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

There actually is a wall bracket from B&O for it - so they must have thought of how that will work.

25.3 w x 137 h x 25.3 d floor stand
21.2 w x 140 h x 25.3 d wall bracket

N.B. Why it is wider on a floor stand us hard to imagine :-o

MM 

Hallo MM;

You can see it in the app, The base turns so you can have it on the wall.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

lawrencejmcook
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 742
Founder
Invictus005:

Ah - ok, design inspired by Beomic 1000.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Emil Jensen:

Hallo MM;

No, it is not in my AR app!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 11:42 AM

@Millemissen : Everything is in the AR app, you just have to scan the invitation picture on this thread once and the BL28 is added to your app forever.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 11:44 AM

Do we know what they will cost?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mbee:

@Millemissen : Everything is in the AR app, you just have to scan the invitation picture on this thread once and the BL28 is added to your app forever.

Thanks - did not know/realize that ;-(

MM

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 12:16 PM

Millemissen:

Downside of selective reading, "grumpy cat", it was mentioned twice in this thread [;)

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 12:48 PM

Hi everyone,

the BL28 is not for me but I was intrigued by all the comments so I have downloaded the AR app and now a) I actually quite like them and b) would like to see them at some point. I also find the curtain / lamella movement pretty neat. No real functionality but it still stands out and something I can enjoy and appreciate; would I be in the market for such speakers.

I wish everyone a very good time at their pre-viewings. Is anyone picking up a limited edition model?

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

matador43:

Millemissen:

Downside of selective reading, "grumpy cat", it was mentioned twice in this thread [;)

Please bare with me....I am not that fast today/was yesterday ;-(

That sure looks good on the wall.

So - can I use just one (if that is what I want)? - allthough they seem to only come in pairs!

And if I have two (set up as R/L) for the internal sources, is there a Master and a Slave?

Must be (some way), in order to know which one to play to!

And I I had 4 (or more), can I play to all of them (which indicates that there would be some kind of new Beolink function going on).

And what if I have a pair (or more pairs) set up with a BV as a multi channel setup, can I then still adress one or more as a sound system using the built-in sources?

Lot of questions!!!

MM

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Emil Jensen:

When is it realeased?

The 3D render is so bad in the app, that you dont really get a feeling on how it looks.

A very bad first impression.

A release will happen the 29 April

Can be seen at your dealer friday/saturday

I am going to see them tomorrow, my dealer said that they are much better in person, lets see...

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:01 PM

Using just one of them would be a good solution for small places where some B&O needs to feed some music. :)

Similar to a Yamaha LSX-700

https://www.yamaha.com/en/about/design/synapses/id_064/

The renderings look somehow strange... but as already mentioned here: B&O products often look much better in real live than on pictures.

I hope the volume dial mechanism has a higher quality than the Essence remotes. Leaked Oil would look awful on the Beolab wood. :)

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:05 PM

TWG:
Using just one of them would be a good solution for small places where some B&O needs to feed some music. :)

Yes, it would be a super Beosound Balance. But what we dont know is how music is handled when only one speaker is used. Does it play one channel only or is there an option to combine both stereo channels ans render them in wide like a balance should do?

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:14 PM

Another thing, and echoing the post saying B&O early specs are sometimes wrong:

In one of the picture above you can see the drivers: two of them looks like woofer or middle range maybe, but the other definitely looks like a tweeter.
But if I've understood well, that's tweeter that benefit from ALT, and there is clearly no acoustic lense in the tweeter.

Also, but I'm maybe fantasizing, when you read all the precise calculations needed to compute an acoustic lense, I can't see the point of putting it behind clothes, meaning hide it. 

Also, having an acoustic lense in the middle of the column would reduce the volume of the column, right?.

And finally, when you turn on the speaker in the AR app, beside the useless curtain opening, I  dont see any acoustic lense showing up.

So?

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:56 PM

When they officially launch, maybe Geoff Martin can explain in lovingly detail how it works.

Maybe they use DSP processing but that's just guessing... we'll have to wait.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:27 PM

So when these are playing music, the lovely wood (more or less) disappears?

I.e. the 18's look nice, and at their best, when they are off or playing music.

But the 28's look their best when they are not playing music, and look less good when you are actually using them?!?!

This seems an odd product of the design to me.

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:38 PM

Maybe the wood lamella move to widen the sound scene?

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:43 PM
We saw on the BL50 what an adjustable acoustic lens can be.

May be the lamellas act like this too?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Emil Jensen:

Millemissen:

There actually is a wall bracket from B&O for it - so they must have thought of how that will work.

25.3 w x 137 h x 25.3 d floor stand
21.2 w x 140 h x 25.3 d wall bracket

N.B. Why it is wider on a floor stand us hard to imagine :-o

MM 

Hallo MM;

Yes, I have seen it there.

But the placement does not change the width....the base is just turned.

MM

Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

There’s most likely a mistake in the measurements. The depth should change when mounted on the wall, not the width. From the pictures I posted, it would seem that when the bases are folded over, the speakers would become less deep. Which makes sense, as you wouldn’t want them to protrude from the wall to much. With DSP and room correction, from spec, these are very advanced speakers.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Have just seen them at the dealer,

Some answers.

Both speakers can be master/Slave you just choose in the app.

They have the Mozart platform chip as the Level and Emerge, so upgradable in the future.

The opening is used to narrow and wide mode, so not just for show.

They do Wide mode like the Beolab 90, not like the 50.

They are a bit more expensive then Beolab 20.

They do look better in person, but it is very different from what we are used to from B&O.

I did pick up the Emerge on my way out, nice little speaker, my Beoplay Portal Grey Mist is first in stock the 6 of may, had hoped to get a pair today :(

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 4:37 PM
How was the sound?

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Razlaw:
How was the sound?

As they can only show them today/tomorrow and they just got them today, they were not setup properly.

But I can say one thing, they do not need a subwoofer.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 4:59 PM
Emil Jensen:

As they can only show them today/tomorrow and they just got them today, they were not setup properly.

But I can say one thing, they do not need a subwoofer.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay H6, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence

Thanks!

I have a 7-55 with 50s. I would like to get a 65 inch Eclipse or Harmony but do not have enough room with the 50s. I have been toying with downgrading the 50s to 28s to allow for the upgrade to 65 inch Eclipse or Harmony and very much like how the 28s look.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 6:40 PM

Emil, this is great. Did you take any photos you can share with us? And how do you think the bass performance compares to BL19 or BL20?

Raz, I sent you a direct message about your 50s.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 323
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 6:45 PM
Razlaw:

Thanks!

I have a 7-55 with 50s. I would like to get a 65 inch Eclipse or Harmony but do not have enough room with the 50s. I have been toying with downgrading the 50s to 28s to allow for the upgrade to 65 inch Eclipse or Harmony and very much like how the 28s look. Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

That would be a downgrade both sound and picture.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member
Tifoso48 replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 6:48 PM

You took my words right out of my mouth, was almost afraid to say.

But yes indeed, it does look like a toilet plunger - that would be a good nickname for it.

Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

7-55 is an LCD TV. Any of the new Beovision OLED based TVs would be an extraordinary step up. As in night and day difference. BeoLab 50’s are in my top 3 speakers I have ever heard. I can’t imagine the 28’s competing on the same level. But I still have yet to hear them. The 28’s do look very interesting and are very much B&O, more so than the 50’s, IMO. I think the 28’s is the coolest B&O product since A9 and BeoLab 90.

Invictus005
Not Ranked
Posts 16
Bronze Member

7-55 is an LCD TV. Any of the new Beovision OLED based TVs would be an extraordinary step up. As in night and day difference. BeoLab 50’s are in my top 3 speakers I have ever heard. I can’t imagine the 28’s competing on the same level. But I still have yet to hear them. The 28’s do look very interesting and are very much B&O, more so than the 50’s, IMO. I think the 28’s is the coolest B&O product since A9 and BeoLab 90.

Tifoso48
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 162
Bronze Member
Tifoso48 replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 7:09 PM

My dealer says $ 16 - 17 k range.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Razlaw:

I have a 7-55 with 50s. I would like to get a 65 inch Eclipse or Harmony but do not have enough room with the 50s. I have been toying with downgrading the 50s to 28s to allow for the upgrade to 65 inch Eclipse or Harmony and very much like how the 28s look.

If you replace the 7-55 with the Harmony 65” you will have enough space for the 50’s - I am pretty sure.

I haven’t heard the 28’s yet, but I can hardly believe that they can replace the 28 soundwise.

However, if you are looking for a somewhat slimmer setup, the 28’s surely/probably will do the job.

It must be hard to have to replace the 50’s once you have had them.....unless you are getting the 90’s ;-))

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Emil Jensen:

Some answers.

They have the Mozart platform chip as the Level and Emerge, so upgradable in the future.

They do look better in person, but it is very different from what we are used to from B&O.

I did pick up the Emerge on my way out, nice little speaker, my Beoplay Portal Grey Mist is first in stock the 6 of may, had hoped to get a pair today :(

Tak Emil.

Both speakers can be master/Slave you just choose in the app’ - that sounds very interesting.

When this is due to the Mozart platform, it could mean that we also might be able to adress the other speakers on that platform individually.......in order to make pairs.

How are the two 28 speakers connected to each other....or rather how were they connected, when you were there?
And did they play as a music system, were they connected to a BV?

Congrats on the Emerge - will we hear more about that here?

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Apr 16 2021 8:47 PM
Millemissen:

If you replace the 7-55 with the Harmony 65” you will have enough space for the 50’s - I am pretty sure.

I haven’t heard the 28’s yet, but I can hardly believe that they can replace the 28 soundwise.

However, if you are looking for a somewhat slimmer setup, the 28’s surely/probably will do the job.

It must be hard to have to replace the 50’s once you have had them.....unless you are getting the 90’s ;-))

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

I don’t want to get rid of the 50s. But with a Harmony the gap between it and the 50s would only be a couple of inches. I don’t think that would look good at all. I have thought of a wall mounted Eclipse, but given the size of the 50s, I don’t think that would look good, the speakers being so far in front of the the Eclipse.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@Raz

The Harmony 65” is on 4 cm wider than the 7-55.

MM

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

Emil Jensen:

Some answers.

Tak Emil.

Both speakers can be master/Slave you just choose in the app’ - that sounds very interesting.

When this is due to the Mozart platform, it could mean that we also might be able to adress the other speakers on that platform individually.......in order to make pairs.

How are the two 28 speakers connected to each other....or rather how were they connected, when you were there?
And did they play as a music system, were they connected to a BV?

Congrats on the Emerge - will we hear more about that here?

MM

So first off, they are sold in pairs and packed in pairs.

Then you start the setup with google/b&o App,

then you choose slave/master and which is right and left.

And calibrate the sound with using the phone as microphone.

Very easy it seemed.

The ones I heard just had power, and then setup with Wifi.

I do not know what technology they pair up with? Google? WiSa? don't know.

Will install the Emerge monday in the office, but I can already say that the quality seems much higher than M3/5 (Cannot comment on audio quality yet)

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Curly:

Emil, this is great. Did you take any photos you can share with us? And how do you think the bass performance compares to BL19 or BL20?

Raz, I sent you a direct message about your 50s.

Sorry no pictures, 

Again did not listen in a proper environment,

But I do personally prefer Subs bulit in speakers compared to have one Beolab 19

But in generel I do think that Beolab 20 still is a great speaker. Beolab 20 and 28 is not the same, just the same price range.

steve1977
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 911
Bronze Member
steve1977 replied on Sat, Apr 17 2021 1:32 AM
Razlaw:

I don’t want to get rid of the 50s. But with a Harmony the gap between it and the 50s would only be a couple of inches. I don’t think that would look good at all. I have thought of a wall mounted Eclipse, but given the size of the 50s, I don’t think that would look good, the speakers being so far in front of the the Eclipse. Beolab 50s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Have you thought a wall-mounted harmony?
Page 3 of 13 (508 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS