Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Coffee

rated by 0 users
This post has 189 Replies | 3 Followers

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 1:37 AM

tournedos:

Just remembered this old thread. I appreciate good coffee but I'm not interested in any high fidelity coffee making or cluttering my kitchen with various grinders and other apparati, so I bought myself a Nespresso Lattissima+ last Christmas. I was so happy with it that I bought another one to use at the office - and now this new Inissia for the GF, who doesn't care for milk in her coffee.

I still brew a pot of "regular" wakeup coffee each morning and use my old Bialetti Moka pots occasionally, but these are just unbeatable for that quick coffee.

He he -you brought it back on track... Starting with coffee, it ended up being about cats...
Funny how threads here on Beoworld often ends up with something completely different. But I like that ;-)

Well - talking about coffee:

I mostly drink coffee from a plain filter coffee machine.
If I drink Latte or Cappuchino at home -it's Nescafé...(he he - some of the Connoisseurs will choke in their cappuchino from their 'x1000' $ machines now...) -Did he really say that ..? Yes he did..! And it tastes good too..! Big Smile

This Melitta Stage is my 'main device': (some might say the design is inspired by the Beovision 8)... :-D

-and at the moment, mostly this coffee:

Not very exotic, I know - but I like it... ;-)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

It looks very BV8

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jun 5 2014 4:11 PM

Interesting, I approach coffee the same way, I have a cheap drip coffee maker for morning java, sometimes I use a burr grinder to grind beans, usually I just buy ground coffee, albeit not bottom shelf ground coffee, but not ultra high end either. I tend to prefer a stronger, more bitter roast.

For espresso, I have a bottom end Nespresso machine. I am actually pretty impressed with it, it will deliver a decent cup with real crema! Easy peasy too. We don't drink enough espresso or cappuccino to make all the measuring, tamping, and such worth it with a more traditional machine, I just needed something to make a decent cup quickly and easily when needed, and the Nespresso machine works just fine for that.

Then there's the definition of Navy coffee...make 12 cups of coffee using 24 cups worth of the cheapest coffee you can find, and let it sit on the warmer for at least 10 hours. The kind of coffee that if you spill it on yourself they treat you for bruises and abrasions not burns! Big Smile I never knew the truth of this until I had a job where we worked with the US Marines. I quickly learned to forgo the coffee over there, I could have a cup in the morning, and still have an acid stomach and rattling eyeballs at midnight.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

This is how I/we do coffee.

On the left my 'several times during the day-coffee' - an instant (my best choice). 

As you may notice, the glass looks very 'used' - it gets refilled often.

On the right our favourite coffee - if both drink and/or friends/family come by.

Fresh grounded with fresh boiled water in the pot - Yummy!

Oh - nearly forgot it .... and a little fresh milk or cream ----- and a tiny bit of (very) dark chocolate.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Jun 6 2014 1:02 PM

instant... I'm rather visit our SimonLévelt shop for some fresh beans... 

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Jun 6 2014 3:38 PM

I have a little grinder like that but I use it to grind spices*, and have a burr grinder with a reservoir for beans on top and a pull out drawer for the ground coffee. I still tend to use pre-ground coffee most times, I will tell you that if the rest of the family aren't awake when you hit the burr grinder switch they will be after it finishes grinding. Wink

* Helpful Hint - if you use a grinder like MM's to grind spices, and want to get the flavor out, you clean it by grinding a couple of tablespoons of plain, dry white rice in it. Really gets rid of the last round of spices or coffee flavor so you don't contaminate the next thing you grind.

Jeff

Ky
Not Ranked
LA
Posts 31
Bronze Member
Ky replied on Sat, Jun 7 2014 7:06 AM

A french press and what ever organic beans sound good at the local co-op, and yes, I'm that hipster with a vinyl collection. So we're a social networking site now? We should set up beoworld dating so we can meet people with similar interests... 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jun 7 2014 7:47 AM

grinding is the only way, I have a Dieter Rams Braun grinder and team this up with an Eva Solo Cafe Solo which is great.

the only issue I have is how to store beans, I normally just buy small quantities and keep them in the fridge but this means frequent runs to the store.

how do you guys store your beans

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 12:21 PM

brewing Guatemala Elephant.... I have a soft spot for Central American coffee. It's described as a full bodied, medium-strong roast and compliments the sounds from my BeoGram. 

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 1:07 PM
In this age of Starbucks everywhere, fancy coffee makers etc I feel a bit left out as to me coffee is disgusting! I've had 2 cups of coffee in my life and that's 2 too many! It does smell fantastic though.
Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

My mother always had "Madam Blue" on the stove, it had a fabric sock inside where the ground coffee was placed, boiling water was poured onto the coffee and after a couple of minutes the coffee was ready. Madam Blue was always on the stove, ready for action.

Today I use a combined grinder brewer, and when I hear the grinder working in the morning, its my wake up call

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Jun 15 2014 10:07 PM

We have  two sizes of the Alessi Sapper Stovetop coffee makers bought from the factory shop in Omegna near lago Magggiore . Plus an Alessi Coban machine by Richard Sapper. We use Lavazza or Illy.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

The Alessi Coban is a coffee machine as David Lewis would have designed it

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Jun 19 2014 9:54 PM

On the machine front I rather like the Y1 by illy, but as I already have the Porsche Siemens Coffee machine which collects dust I will just have to let this pass. But my coffee habit meant I could not forget my wife so I bought her a Menu tea set designed by Pernille Vea.

If anyone is ever in South West London I'll put the kettle on.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Mark:

If anyone is ever in South West London I'll put the kettle on.

We'll let you know Big Smile

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Wed, Nov 12 2014 12:30 PM

I use a francis francis x1 for my coffee. Usually with illy beans. Still need a good grinder since this will make the caffè much better.

Wouter

beojeff
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 2,012
Bronze Member
beojeff replied on Wed, Nov 12 2014 1:09 PM

Simonbeo:

Indeed! I had an Alessi Coban for years until it eventually died from over-use. Something great to know is that the color and texture matches that of the Beolab 2000 PERFECTLY. Also, if one is building the kitchen style based on the Beolab 2000, Kitchen Aid has a mixer with a color called "granite" that also matches the Beolab 2000 and the Alessi Coban.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

The Francis Francis is beautiful and it makes nice coffee / koffie even though it's not that hot.

I had a beautiful Italian Nemox, but it sits in storage in leiu of a Nespresso machine. 

When that packs in , i will get the bench top Miele. 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:48 AM

when I'm not drinking coffee I like a cheeky beer .... 

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Nov 13 2014 10:54 AM

and when I'm drinking coffee I like a cheeky biscuit ....

Evo Solo cafetiere is my favourite coffee utensil ...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Nov 13 2014 9:14 PM
My morning coffee with biscuit from my cheeky brew team ... They give me morning shot of coffee, sugar via the biscuit, beats music, and humour ...

Yes - thumbs up

BeoNut since '75

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Sun, Nov 16 2014 9:57 PM

Aussie Michael:

The Francis Francis is beautiful and it makes nice coffee / koffie even though it's not that hot.

I never have this problem, but when you make coffee, you'll need hot cups otherwise the coffee will cool down too fast. And you have to keep the portafilter attached to the group head. Combined with good beans and a LOT of practice you'll get absolutely great (and hot) coffee!Yes - thumbs up

Nespresso is much easier though and tastes quite good :-)

Wouter

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Thanks Wouter... yeah i agree re hot cups.

My friend who had the Francis Francis used the Illy ESE pods, they tasted beautiful too

Thepuma
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Thepuma replied on Sat, Nov 22 2014 10:14 AM

Has anyone tried the Scanomat Top Brewer?  Thinking of getting one but would like to know what the coffee is like and how reliable the machine is.

Thepuma
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Thepuma replied on Sat, Nov 22 2014 10:14 AM

Has anyone tried the Scanomat Top Brewer?  Thinking of getting one but would like to know what the coffee is like and how reliable the machine is.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Sat, Nov 22 2014 12:57 PM

I love Lavazza Espresso coffee with the plunger type cafetierre.

For anyone who has a Nespresso machine, I can 100% recommend CRU KAFE. For nicer tasting than all of the pretty good Nespresso capsules. It's a new company based in the UK with Organic and Fair-trade coffee from all over the world. The Intense number 12 is my favourite!

CRUKAFE.COM

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Mark:

and when I'm drinking coffee I like a cheeky biscuit ....

I like a packet :-) 

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 10:11 AM

As an Australian , can you explain a Flat White as opposed to a Latte?

incidentally , we have a Torinese additive for our coffee on special occasions . It's called Bicerin and it's a chocolate liqueur and pretty rare outside of Turin  . Very pleasant in a B&O cup.....

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 10:11 AM

I'll just fire up the stove top Alessi for a cup or two of Lavazza now.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 10:43 AM
@Simonbeo ...

A flat white is uh ... Flat !

A latte is ... anything but ... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle

BeoNut since '75

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 11:35 AM

elephant:
@Simonbeo ...

A flat white is uh ... Flat !

A latte is ... anything but ... http://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bernoulli%27s_principle

A latte is frothed , then ?

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 11:38 AM

beojeff:

Simonbeo:

Indeed! I had an Alessi Coban for years until it eventually died from over-use. Something great to know is that the color and texture matches that of the Beolab 2000 PERFECTLY. Also, if one is building the kitchen style based on the Beolab 2000, Kitchen Aid has a mixer with a color called "granite" that also matches the Beolab 2000 and the Alessi Coban.

i just bought a Beolab 2000 . Not likely to be in the same room but I see the similarity!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Nov 23 2014 3:32 PM
Simonbeo:

A latte is frothed , then ?

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Beolit 12, Beotime , A8 , MX 5500 .

Not as much as a cappuccino - the milk is heated / scalded and poured into the strong coffee -- usually (here anyway) in such away as to create patterns on the surface between the coffee and the milk.

The milk has a texture but not as much aeration as a cappuccino. And sometimes the surface can be dusted IR embellished.

Latte art as is called yields a range of images in Google - I think I posted some of my own here ...

From New Zealand

From Melbourne

BeoNut since '75

Jonathan
Top 75 Contributor
Melbourne, Australia
Posts 1,811
Bronze Member
Jonathan replied on Tue, Nov 25 2014 10:40 PM

Simonbeo:

As an Australian , can you explain a Flat White as opposed to a Latte?

I can! Here are the three main milk coffees and their descriptions:

• Cappuccino - half coffee, half frothed milk served in a cup with chocolate on top of foam. Milk is poured with the help of a spoon to maximise the amount of froth into the cup.

• Latte - half coffee, half frothed milk served in a glass. Milk is poured from the jug, also jug is moved back and forth while pouring to allow froth to pour into glass

• Flat White - half coffee, half milk with a very thin layer of foam on top (about three or four millimetres). Milk is poured mostly with a spoon used to stop the froth coming out of the jug, then the spoon is removed right at the very end to allow the small amount of froth on the top

x:________________________

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Nov 26 2014 2:45 AM
Three ⭐️⭐️⭐️ for Jonathan

Oops I mean

☕️☕️☕️

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Nov 26 2014 8:35 AM

last time I was in California I was asked if I wanted my coffee open... this question blew me sideways and I said no it's a take out and I wanted a lid please... it seems it meant do I have milk or not Sad

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Nov 26 2014 10:10 AM

So, is "open" with or without? Unsure

I've never heard of such a thing...but then that's Kalifornia for you.

Jeff

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Wed, Nov 26 2014 9:48 PM

elephant:
Three ⭐️⭐️⭐️ for Jonathan

Oops I mean

☕️☕️☕️

Yes . Thanks Jonathan !

all becomes clearer

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sun, Nov 30 2014 11:10 AM

coffee machines are not just for Christmas ...... this beast reminds me of Cape Canaveral but gets used rarely....

I seem to collect coffee machines as well ....

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Dec 4 2014 9:38 AM

just sayin...Big Smile

Page 3 of 5 (190 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS