Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Coffee

rated by 0 users
This post has 189 Replies | 3 Followers

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Haha mark !
leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Does anyone own a Chemex?

I am soooooo close to buying one, but would like to hear what people think of it.

"You think we can slap some oak on this thing?"

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Fri, Jan 16 2015 1:31 PM

leosgonewild:

Does anyone own a Chemex?

I am soooooo close to buying one, but would like to hear what people think of it.

I haven't come across this one before so just had a quick look on Amazon where it gets rave reviews.  Tempted myself now!

Dave.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

It is the "james Bond"-way, he uses one in on of the movies :P

I have read some different opinions on it.

The Chemex Ottomatic looks nice also (automatic process, basically a moccamaster). But pretty heafty priced..

Reason I am asking is that the coffee my Nescafe Dolce Gusto I got for christmas taste like horse´s ass.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jan 16 2015 1:58 PM

Hi Leo,

You could try a Nespresso. Very good espresso for less than £100 for the machine. I'm a HUGE coffee fan and the Roma & Ristretto taste pretty decent!

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I have my stove-top maker for espresso :)

Want something for regular coffee.

Paul W
Top 75 Contributor
London
Posts 1,810
Bronze Member
Paul W replied on Fri, Jan 16 2015 2:04 PM

OK - Nespresso is better suited for espresso, although I have friends that use 2 capsules to make longer drinks but thats a very expensive way to do it - 60p a cup.

When I make regular coffee, usually after mountain biking to warm up, I use a plunger type cafetierre with Doug Egberts Espresso. I like it :)

Best of luck with your findings :)

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Jan 16 2015 7:03 PM
found this on Chemex and other brewing methods...... https://bluebottlecoffee.com/preparation-guides

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Fri, Jan 16 2015 8:10 PM

This is my all-day machine, hand built in Holland. 

http://www.moccamaster.eu

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Great link, Mark!

I usually make cold brew for ice-coffee in the summer, but I hav used a different method. Tha link went straight to my book-marks :)

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Jan 19 2015 7:53 PM
Chris:

This is my all-day machine, hand built in Holland.

http://www.moccamaster.eu

" Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth. "

Chris thanks for sharing this, just watched all the YouTube videos and have read the reviews ....

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, Jan 19 2015 8:15 PM

Mark, 

Its a great machine, especially if you're using this filter from Swissgold: http://www.swissgold.com/e/coffee.php

Superb with the Mocamaster, gives you the best filter-coffee ever.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I am no the proud owner of a Chemex Smile And I have no idea what I am doing Stick out tongue

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 9:48 AM

please give us a "roadtest" leosgonewild....

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 11:53 AM

leosgonewild:

I am no the proud owner of a Chemex Smile And I have no idea what I am doing Stick out tongue

Which one have you bought?  On reading your earlier post about the Chemex, I ordered one as a gift for my wife - as she loves coffee more than I do. No sexism intended!  I ordered the 8 cup version (I think - maybe the 6 cup.  I'll see when it arrives).

Feedback on the use would be great.

Dave.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I have written my review twice, but it doesn't post? Is it being reviewed by moderators??

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 6:16 PM

leosgonewild:
I have written my review twice, but it doesn't post? Is it being reviewed by moderators??

Nope - I have no idea what the problem might be. As far as I remember, the forum software tells you explicitly if a post ends up in the moderation queue.

--mika

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
I'll write it again a bit later tonight then. And save it in a document before posting Stick out tongue

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

I bought the 6-cup Chemex simply  because I think that the 3-cup has a odd shape, plus it looks to small to do the proper pour-over.

My first try was kind of a disaster. Coffee was way to thin, and I did´t get the pour-over right.

This morning I managed to make a decent cup of coffee. One thing is for sure, and that is that this has a learning-curve. And it requires the right equipment. I am pouring from a glass bottle, I need to get something that has a proper during-tip. I might buy the chemed water kettle, but it is fairly expensive.

I have seen many videos with instructions on ho to brew with a Chemex, and this one is the one i think explains it the best. (except I think he pours too much at the beginning when he wants it to bloom, it is running coffee into the bottom)

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JrcH-4wHK9w

I am used to quite heavy/thick coffee. Drinking Chemed-brew is a very different experience. The coffee is very thin, very water-like. It is not bitter at all. I have to experiment with different dosage of coffee (today I used two scoops with 2,5dl water, because my weight was out of battery).

What I do love with this method is the build-up of expectation... Grinding the beans, heating the water, rinsing the filter, waiting for the coffee to bloom, swirling the coffee around in the Chemed before during it into the cup, all the smells before-under-and-during the process. It is like going through your record-collection, the way you prepare yourself for music.

I´ll write some more impressions when I have used it more Big Smile

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Tue, Jan 20 2015 8:11 PM

leosgonewild:
(except I think he pours too much at the beginning when he wants it to bloom, it is running coffee into the bottom)

Chemex & taste: Its all about the grinding!

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Jan 27 2015 12:12 PM

leosgonewild:
What I do love with this method is the build-up of expectation... Grinding the beans, heating the water, rinsing the filter, waiting for the coffee to bloom, swirling the coffee around in the Chemed before during it into the cup, all the smells before-under-and-during the process. It is like going through your record-collection, the way you prepare yourself for music.

Thanks to Leo's post suggesting the Chemex, I too yesterday received the 6 cup version, 100 filter papers and a Japanese 'Hario' ceramic burr mill (MSCS-2), all bought via Amazon.UK.

My wife is the real coffee drinker but Leo is right about the process.  Smell the roast beans, measure into the grinder, slowly grind them and then the whole process with the Chemex.  It's not a fast cup of coffee and although admittedly we did use quite old beans, the coffee was excellent.  New beans from Nepal are arriving soon from a family member so we'll try with those too.

The grinder is superb and very solid and well thought out for storing the ground coffee that you don't use, producing fine or medium grind depending on the adjustment and they are very even in size.  The older beans are harder to grind and for my big hands, holding the grinder was awkward but it's very good quality.

I think we did quite well and got the process right (we forgot to rinse the paper first) but didn't notice any 'paper flavour'.  The bloom was good and we only had a few drops of coffee appear during it.  The pour worked well and as I say, the coffee was great.  Well worth the investment.

Dave.

leosgonewild
Top 50 Contributor
Helsinki, Finland
Posts 2,373
Bronze Member
Care to share your measurements? Smile

How much water do you poor into the coffee for the bloom?

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Tue, Jan 27 2015 4:17 PM

leosgonewild:
Care to share your measurements? Smile

How much water do you poor into the coffee for the bloom?

I don't measure it.  I just pour it all over the grounds very slowly until it is completely wet and liquid just starts to come through the paper.  I don't think you can measure this bit as it will depend on the bean, the grind etc.  It seems to be the motion of the pouring so that you get even and complete wetting.  I've just made some actually and used a pyrex measuring jug with a fine spout to pour the water.

Dave.

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Fri, Apr 17 2015 2:53 PM

when not drinking coffee I do like to sit back with a cold beer and listen to music... 

this is not a too scary little number ...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Apr 17 2015 9:58 PM
I have had a bad spell cold / man flu.

Now into week 5.

So I have taken to drinking tea daily.

And to replace my three strong lattes a day I have a single piccolo every two or three days.

[:\'(]

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Apr 18 2015 8:20 AM
get well soon elephant ....

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Apr 18 2015 5:54 PM

elephant:
I have had a bad spell cold / man flu.

Now into week 5.

So I have taken to drinking tea daily.

And to replace my three strong lattes a day I have a single piccolo every two or three days.

[:\'(]

Sorry to hear that! If it's anything like the flu that came thru hear I can sympathize, at lest 3 weeks actively sick and then a couple of weeks of hacking and wheezing until the symptoms finally go away. Unfortunately my doc has told me to eliminate caffeine, which is actually helping control headaches (migraines) but finding a decent tasting decaff coffee is tough. I've been using Peet's Major Dickason's Blend which is OK, but sitting drinking no caff coffee in the morning is, well, in a way kind of like watching sex as opposed to being a participant...not exactly the same is it?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

When I have the flu, I don't feel like wanting coffee and having Embarrassed 'you know what' - it's that simple!

When the 'need for these things' come back, I know that I am on my way to recover Stick out tongue

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Apr 19 2015 1:24 AM
Millemissen:

When I have the flu, I don't feel like wanting coffee and having 'you know what' - it's that simple!

When the 'need for these things' come back, I know that I am on my way to recover

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Yes - thumbs up

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Apr 19 2015 6:00 AM
Mark:

get well soon elephant ....

Thanks Mark ... Today's piccolo next to the wife's latte

BeoNut since '75

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sun, Apr 19 2015 6:31 AM

Jeff:
Unfortunately my doc has told me to eliminate caffeine,

A morning without a nice coffee  Crying

Get a new doctor !

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

valve1:

Jeff:

Get a new doctor !

Get well soon!

I've just bought a pair of smaller cups to go with my mountain bike with a view to reducing our Lavazza triple shots to a macchiato now and again!

(The smaller one )

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Apr 19 2015 4:34 PM

Simonbeo:

valve1:

Jeff:

Get a new doctor !

Get well soon!

I've just bought a pair of smaller cups to go with my mountain bike with a view to reducing our Lavazza triple shots to a macchiato now and again!

(The smaller one )

Thanks for the good wishes! As for changing docs, well, unfortunately what he has suggested, dropping caffeine, has definitely improved the migraines. I used to get rebound headaches from the morning caffeine every late afternoon or early evening which put me down for the count. Now that doesn't happen, so it's eliminated a lot of headaches, so as much as I hate to admit it the doc apparently knows what he's doing!Stick out tongue I also seem to sleep better at night. So if you're bothered by late afternoon/evening headaches I'd say give this a try. I was chicken, knowing how bad the headaches are when in withdrawal, so I went off caffeine slowly, first full strength, then 80/20, then 60/40, etc. Did each for about 3 or 4 days, no withdrawal issues.

Getting old is not for sissies.

I do miss the caffeine jolt in the morning though. Since I'm retired there's usually nothing I need to be up and awake for at any particular hour, if I was still working this would really be tough. And decaf just does not satisfy as much with respect to taste. I watched Alton Brown's Good Eats show on coffee and he pointed out that to meet the same price points while paying for the cost of decaffeinating the beans they wind up using cheaper coffee beans, so in addition to any damage the process causes to the flavor, starting out with cheaper beans makes it even worse. So far I've found that true.

Today we were out of my Peet's coffee, so we had a container of Folger's decaf my mother-in-law had given us. Dreadful, I mean totally awful. Bitter without it being a good bitter, if you understand. A dark roast coffee will be a tad bitter, but complex and earthy tasting, this was just bitter and flat tasting. I guess paying the additional price for Peet's makes up for some of the things Alton Brown talked about, it's better beans than the mass market stuff even if not as grand as you can get.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Thepuma
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Thepuma replied on Sun, Apr 19 2015 9:16 PM

Has anyone got a scanomat topbrewer?  See http://www.scanomat.com/int/topbrewer/introduction

Dave Farr
Top 50 Contributor
France
Posts 2,283
Gold Member
Dave Farr replied on Sun, Apr 19 2015 9:41 PM

Thepuma:

Has anyone got a scanomat topbrewer?  See http://www.scanomat.com/int/topbrewer/introduction

Starting price of £5,000!  It looks really nice but the video only shows you endless cups being poured (and a nice pair of legs at about 2 mins 20 secs - a bit of a Sharon Stone moment).  It shows nothing about how it is installed, refilled, cleaned, maintained etc.  The stand alone unit is large so I guess an enormous amount of cupboard space is needed for this.  Great in Hotels etc but I'm not sure for home use unless you're loaded.  Very nice looking system though.

Dave.

Thepuma
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
Thepuma replied on Sun, Apr 19 2015 10:01 PM

The system works out about £8k and takes up a normal 600ml unit I believe.  Nice looking system which I would go for if I was convinced that it was reliable but I have heard rumours that it is not.  An extended warranty is circa £1,200 pa which further suggests that it is going to be unreliable.  Which is a real shame because it is the best looking system I have come across.  Just wondered if anyone else had tried it and could reassure me.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 4:59 AM
We used to have a "B&O in the wild" thread but I could not find it (old site's Fora maybe?) so I chose this thread as I spotted this B&O embedded in the wallpaper of the local coffee shop.

BeoNut since '75

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member

It's Saturday . Using the Starck Alessi cups for the morning coffee.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Apr 25 2015 1:23 PM
Interesting Simon .... does it improve the taste ?

(( serious question btw ! ))

BeoNut since '75

Page 4 of 5 (190 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS