Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What are you WATCHING "right now' ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 745 Replies | 5 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Aug 20 2012 9:23 PM

Magnus:

elephant:

Saw "The Dark Knight Rises" at IMAX ... no B&O equipment this time ... probably a good thing: I would have cried if another Beosound 9000 had been trashed.

The baddies watched news on a Beovision 10 and a 7, if I remember correctly. Good movie!

damn I missed that - I better go back for a second helping Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Battleship.

Utter crap but the kids and Beolab 11 like it!

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 7:57 AM

Chris Townsend:
Battleship.

Last night used the PS3 BR into the BV8-40 to watch the first 45 minutes of the special extended cut of Avatar ... the one that starts with 5+ minutes of life on earth 

Drove home to me how much nicer a BV10 is Sad but the BL11 did a sterling job

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 2:33 PM

Chris Townsend:
Battleship.

Unfortunately these kinds of movies dominate. I tend to call them movies or popcorn flicks, and quality pieces films. LOL! 

Millions of dollars for amazing special effects and pennies spent on a script. I like a good popcorn flick for fun but am really glad indie films are around. 

Speaking of which, I just rewatched "Pi" the other night, great film about a migraine ridden mathematician who stumbles on a universal secret. Being a migraine sufferer myself, parts of this were tough to watch, I could relate too well although thankfully I've never been nearly as bad off as the protagonist. Made for very little money in grainy, high contrast black and white, it's a gem. 

Speaking of B&W, a film with almost Ansel Adams level of photography and a quirky, philosophical plot is Dead Man starring Johnny Depp and directed by Jim Jarmusch. Great, darkly humorous, and thought provoking. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Headhunters - been on 20min and no Bang and Olufsen. Suprised as its a Scandinavian film.

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Thu, Aug 23 2012 9:34 PM

Chris Harrison:

Headhunters - been on 20min and no Bang and Olufsen. Suprised as its a Scandinavian film.

Oh, just wait - you'll spot some real soon if you look closely Wink

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

elephant:

Chris Townsend:
Battleship.

Last night used the PS3 BR into the BV8-40 to watch the first 45 minutes of the special extended cut of Avatar ... the one that starts with 5+ minutes of life on earth 

It is a pity that Mr Cameron had such a tight budget for his nice movie that he couldn't cough up 500 $ for a story ...

Peter the biker

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 24 2012 8:29 AM

iPoditiv:

elephant:

Chris Townsend:
Battleship.

It is a pity that Mr Cameron had such a tight budget for his nice movie that he couldn't cough up 500 $ for a story ...

My sons had a similar criticism - said it was too simple and obvious.

On the other hand I love the scenery .... so called it "National Geographic goes to Pandora" and mute the sound (I can't stand Nat Geo narrations anyway !)

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Avengers assemble.

The film aside, it shows what dark images can be actually be displayed on an LCD led tv(10-46). Full screen with some punchy sound and great effects, it would be a good movie to demo in shops.

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 12:22 AM

iPoditiv:

elephant:

Chris Townsend:
Battleship.

You're right...When I saw 'Avatar' I wondered where I've seen a similar story before...
And then I realized: 'Star Trek Insurrection'.
The basic story is the same. We have been joking that it is ST Insurrection with 10 X (or more) bigger budget Laughing

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Steffen, I think avatar is the same story as Pocahontas ;)
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 8:58 AM

With a generous helping of Dances With Wolves. 

But if you go back and look, it's typical of Cameron flicks...govt/military/corporations bad and/or incompetent being the main message, same in Aliens and The Abyss. 

He can make an enjoyable spectacle and action ride, but surprisingly trivial and shallow plots. Then again, maybe he knows his audience, he's certainly made lots of money doing it. 

Jeff

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Sep 23 2012 11:15 PM

Michael:
Steffen, I think avatar is the same story as Pocahontas ;)

Hmm Pocahontas in space... Laughing

Chris Harrison
Top 200 Contributor
Peak District
Posts 381
Bronze Member

Watched The Dictator on Apple TV last week - absolutely fantastic! Hilarious!

Beosound 8, Beotime, Beocom 4, Beo 5, Lutron Rania, MacBook 15" (Mid 2015), iPad Pro, iPhone 6S, B&O Play H3, Beolit 12, Form 2, A8 Headphones, B&O Play A1, B&O Essence

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Prometheus from ITunes. Watched this at the cinema with my "Alien" head on and was quite disappointed.

Having now watched it 2 1/2 times it is better than I first took it for. The script and cast could do with a lot of improvement but even so it's not that bad, and looks and sounds fantastic on a Beovision 10.

Hopefully there will be a directors cut(more money) and a fitting sequel, to this prequel!

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Mon, Oct 29 2012 4:20 AM

Right now I'm watching the Aussie V8 Supercars 'Gold Coast 600' race.

This is racing at its best.

Beo4 'til I die!

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Mon, Nov 5 2012 10:07 PM

I saw Watchmen on Saturday. It was very long (saw the extended version, 3 hours), and probably only suitable for specially interessted people, but I _loved_ it! I would highly recommend it! Liked the soundtrack as well, only wish I'd seen it at my place — with my speakers!

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 12:46 AM

Magnus:

I saw Watchmen on Saturday. It was very long (saw the extended version, 3 hours), and probably only suitable for specially interessted people, but I _loved_ it! I would highly recommend it! Liked the soundtrack as well, only wish I'd seen it at my place — with my speakers!

IMDb link: http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0409459/

I've seen the original version, and the director's cut, but not the special version that includes the animated Tales of the Black Ship or whatever the comic within the comic was. Is that the version you saw? I am looking forward to seeing it, the whole movie is amazing, especially the choices of music. The opening credits are amazing, the whole alternate timeline scenes. Truly one of the best films I've seen in a while, and very true to the graphic novel.

Jeff

Magnus
Top 200 Contributor
Norway
Posts 331
Gold Member
Magnus replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 11:29 AM

Jeff:
but not the special version that includes the animated Tales of the Black Ship or whatever the comic within the comic was. Is that the version you saw?

Hmm... There was nothing animated in the version I saw. And I now see that there's an even longer (3,5 hours) version, so that must be it. I must see it!

Jeff:
I am looking forward to seeing it, the whole movie is amazing, especially the choices of music. The opening credits are amazing, the whole alternate timeline scenes. Truly one of the best films I've seen in a while, and very true to the graphic novel.

I haven't read the graphic novel – should I? Otherwise I agree, I'm looking forward to seeing the longest version!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 6 2012 1:09 PM

I can highly recommend the graphic novel, though be prepared, it's even darker than the film. Interspersed thru it are exerpts from a comic one kid is reading at the newsstand, Tales do the Black Ship or Freighter or such, I've forgotten. Also, each segment of graphic content is separated by a written chapter from the book the first Night Owl wrote. Great, albeit very dark, writing. 

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Magnus:

Jeff:
but not the special version that includes the animated Tales of the Black Ship or whatever the comic within the comic was. Is that the version you saw?

Hmm... There was nothing animated in the version I saw. And I now see that there's an even longer (3,5 hours) version, so that must be it. I must see it!

The old BluRay version I have had the "Tales of the Black Ship" on a separate disc

BeoNut since '75

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Just watching Forrest Gump, but with a sub woofer connected, soundtrack got even better.

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Per
Not Ranked
Norway
Posts 47
Gold Member
Per replied on Fri, Nov 23 2012 11:57 PM

Recently saw Skyfall in the cinema. Decent Bond flick, but the cinematography is just outright beautiful. 

Recommend Danish Broen, one of the best crime series I have seen for ages. Saw it on Netflix and I just read that a second season might be in the pipeline. Awesome!Smile

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 8:04 AM

Bought the free iTunes season start of HUNTED -- looks promising

BeoNut since '75

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 4:51 PM
Right now I'm getting ready to watch the No. 1 college football rivalry game - Buckeyes vs. Wolverines!

Last night I saw the movie Lincoln and the night before, Skyfall. Both on the big screen.

Beo4 'til I die!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Nov 24 2012 5:23 PM

Evan:
Right now I'm getting ready to watch the No. 1 college football rivalry game - Buckeyes vs. Wolverines!

Last night I saw the movie Lincoln and the night before, Skyfall. Both on the big screen.

good luck for your team in the game

and try not to jump into freezing water this time

win or god forbid ....

BeoNut since '75

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Sun, Nov 25 2012 8:12 PM

elephant:

Evan:

win or god forbid ....

Thanks Ed, they won!

Looks like I didn't jump in the lake for nothing! Won't have to worry about it for another year thankfully.

Beo4 'til I die!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Nov 26 2012 8:51 AM

Evan:

elephant:

Evan:

win or god forbid ....

Thanks Ed, they won!

Looks like I didn't jump in the lake for nothing! Won't have to worry about it for another year thankfully.

I expect you and your mates proceeded to drink a lake of beer Beer Beer Beer Beer Beer in celebration ! good luck with your collective headaches Ick! Ick! Ick!

BeoNut since '75

Per
Not Ranked
Norway
Posts 47
Gold Member
Per replied on Sat, Dec 1 2012 1:12 PM

Planning to watch Alfred Hitchcock's 'Dial M for Murder' tonight.

Per
Not Ranked
Norway
Posts 47
Gold Member
Per replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:15 PM

Planning to rewatch  The Lord Of The Rings triology prior to watching The Hobbit in the cinema when I get back from my work trip. Going to be alot of hours viewing movies this weekend, but its been a long time since I have seen this triology so I am quite excited.

rob08
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 209
Bronze Member
rob08 replied on Thu, Dec 13 2012 8:25 PM

Saw Premium Rush (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1547234/) - a movie about bike messengers in NYC that get involved in more than they're asking for last weekend. Joseph Gordon-Levitt is the main star, it was pretty good, exciting and intense the whole way through.

Yesterday I saw The Words (http://www.imdb.com/title/tt1840417/) - about a struggling author who finds a manuscript without an author and "takes" it as his own..... It was alright I guess, kind of convoluted and felt at times too complicated for its own good. But Bradley Cooper and Jeremy Irons are in it and they're almost always good

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Not sure if this should be here or under the B&O in films, but I can't remember if the new forum format has had that thread recreated so here goes ...

I could find nothing on the various free to air or foxtel channels last night so I decided to browse the various iViews I have (BBC, SBS, and ABC - and the ATV iTunes store) when I stumbled across a Swedish movie in the Wallender series (obvious that it should exist !) and an story that was not covered in the English made Wallanders.

So using SBS's iView I airplayed the movie to the BV8-40 and really enjoyed it.  I think I preferred the angst of the English Wallander - seems closer to the books.  But this time I felt that the scenery seemed more authentic (every time I watched the English made versions I keep having my doubts as to whether they were filmed in Sweden (especially the first series)).

Anyway, in this particular episode the lawyer has a Beosound 9000 and a pair of Beolab 8000s in his home.

Here is the particular episode I was watching ... now I have to go and find the others Smile

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

elephant:
Here is the particular episode I was watching ... now I have to go and find the others

Having watched the Jokern, we tried the next one on SBS's iView ... this turned out to be a much darker Ick! Wallander without the benefit of any B&O in the background Sad

BeoNut since '75

beocool
Top 25 Contributor
Alankomaat
Posts 6,194
Bronze Member
beocool replied on Wed, Jan 2 2013 6:30 AM

I watched "Up" yesterday. Very nice. Smile

Vähintään yhdeksänkymmentä prosenttia suomalainen! 

Lars
Top 500 Contributor
Munich
Posts 146
Bronze Member
Lars replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 11:49 AM
Bavarian countryside between Nuremberg and Munich.

No BEO in the ICE but I love the travel without hazzel. ;-)

BS9000, BC6, BC2, BL3, BL11, BL3500, BL2000, BeoTime, Beo EarSet2 3i, Beo, BEO DropStop, BEO Bottle Opener, BeoCom5 including Table Stand, ATV

Christmas Prize Draw 1st Winner 2010 - THANKS A LOT!!!

Struer Trip 2012 - THANKS A LOT!!!

ngnear
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 245
Bronze Member
ngnear replied on Tue, Jan 8 2013 12:08 PM

Watched "Idiocracy" again over Christmas.

Didn't know whether to laugh or cry... it seems to be getting nearer the truth every time I watch it.

Tim

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 11:26 AM

elephant:

elephant:
Here is the particular episode I was watching ... now I have to go and find the others

Having watched the Jokern, we tried the next one on SBS's iView ... this turned out to be a much darker Ick! Wallander without the benefit of any B&O in the background Sad

Finally we came across an episode of WALLANDER that has a piece of B&O in it ... "The Cellist" has a scene where Wallander is listening to some music on non-B&O equipment !! 

But nestled between the two non-B&O speakers (in what looks like an Ikea IVAR bookcase) is a powered-off BeoVision 8-32 or -40 (its black, so not sure of the size) Yes - thumbs up

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Feb 4 2013 2:50 PM

Just watched Prometheus, man, that's almost two hours of my life I'll never get back. Visually pretty, but what an inane and incoherrent movie. Insultingly bad. Since Scott directed the first Alien, I had high hopes that sequel/prequel disease wouldn't be an issue, boy was I wrong! Ugh.

I just got a new TV and BluRay player, not B&O but a Panasonic P65VT50 65 inch plasma and an Oppo BDP-103. Absolutely stunning picture quality on the pairing. I had to dig out and watch my new BluRay copy of Blade Runner The Final Cut, just awe inspiring how good it looked.

I watched John Carter the other night as well. Fun movie, I loved the books years ago when I read them. I was sort of disappointed that they didn't follow the books that closely but felt the need to gin up a new plot, but the visuals and such were great, the actors and actresses were attractive, etc. Lots of fun. I did notice that the pairing of the Jedak for Helium, and his general were the same actors who played Caesar and Anthony in HBO's Rome, playing pretty much the same roles with the same personalities. BTW, Rome is a great show, very interesting portrayal of Cleopatra, unusual and thoughtful.

Speaking of series, Starz here in the US has been showing a series called Spartacus. It's not that great compared to Rome, it's primarily an excuse for brutal, graphic violence and explicit sex, but they have some good things going on. The slaves are pretty uninteresting, but the Romans (who I root for every episode!) are much more interesting, lots of backstabbing politics. This is the last season, and Marcus Licinius Crassus has made his appearance. Like Rome's portrayal of Cleopatra, Spartacus' portrayal of Crassis (and Caesar) - very very interesting. Crassus is coldly ambitious, driven, meticulous, disciplined while Caesar is raw ambition and appetite.

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
I've watched Prometheus quite a few times now trying to get it. Ridley Scott is one if those directors you just expect a first class movie from, but bar the visuals I thought the script, acting and overall confusion of the film almost insulting.

Going to watch Zero Dark Thirty tonight so hopefully that will be better than the other and previous "Osama get the bad news" film. Can't remember its name but trust me, it's no Blackhawk Down in quality!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Feb 5 2013 5:05 PM

I forgot one I watched recently, can't recall if I've mentioned it. A Dog's Breakfast. Absolutely hysterically funny, A tale about this neurotic guy (seriously, he separates out his breakfast Fruit Loops cereal by color into 6 different bowls and eats a spoon out of each in sequence) who hates his sister's fiance and decides to murder him. He accidentally kills him after being unsuccessful in murdering him, and the body keeps turning up. Really funny.

I also watched The Hobbit in the theater recently. I had never seen a 3D movie so thought I should start out with the current state of the art. Good movie, wasn't that impressed by the 3D, it was cool, but ultimately was a distraction that gave me a slight headache by the end. I was kind of surprised at all the additional content that stretches it out to three more than full length movies, but I guess the director wanted a sextet of films with the three Lord of the Rings ones.

Jeff

Page 2 of 19 (746 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS