Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What are you WATCHING "right now' ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 745 Replies | 5 Followers

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 10:03 PM

elephant:

Started watching "House of Cards" with the family on ATV and ..l.

With Kevin Spacey you can't go wrong. Almost finished season 1. Thanks for the tip! Wink

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 10:12 PM
DoubleU:

With Kevin Spacey you can't go wrong. Almost finished season 1. Thanks for the tip!

Glad you like it - we are pacing ourselves. Need to find the next good show to fill the gap before the next season of "the game of Thrones"

Watched last night the new series from the UK called "Foyle's War" although since it is set post 1945 it should "Foyle's (cold) War".

A bit slow paced but I am sure it will grow on us.

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jan 5 2014 11:13 PM

Lately I've been serially watching some older scifi on Netflix, Farscape, The Lexx, X Files. All good stuff. Or as they call it binge watching. I'd forgotten how creative Farscape was. 

Last nite I couldn't sleep and got in on about the last two thirds of a strange movie called Blood Creek, made in 2009. I think it went direct to DVD, no theatrical release. Not a great film but good in that it set the vampire zombie kind of horror thriller in a different way. It revolves around an undead zombie vampire type of creature that was the result of Nazi occult experiments. On an isolated farm these people are keeping it alive, but feeding it just enough to keep it from dying but not enough for it to fully grow into the unstoppable monstrosity it was supposed to be. The upside for them is they stay alive, they've been ageless since the 40's when they started this. This all gets upset when one of the victims they used to get blood from comes back with his brother for revenge, letting the creature loose to complete the ritual and mature fully. Some creative things in it.

I've ordered the DVD from Netflix to see the beginning. I suspect I missed a lot. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Jan 6 2014 1:45 AM

I know we were discussing Beowulf on the book thread...I just watched The 13th Warrior, which is based on a Michael Crichton book which is based on Beowulf. It was a commercial failure but I've always liked it. Yet another movie retelling of Beowulf. 

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 11:42 AM

Last night watched episodes 3&4 of The Bridge 2 on BBC4.

Great scandinavian drama with a detective with Aspergers who cannot tell a lie and feels no emotion. The BV11 is perfect for the dark and subtle tones of Malmö and Copenhagen.

Graham

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Sun, Jan 12 2014 12:27 PM

Love this TV show. Saga is such a great character. Glad to see that the BBC is broadcasting the original version and not the US remake. 

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Blade Runner BluRay Directors edition. The last time I watched this was on a 7-40 Mk3 with a Beolab 7-2, 8000's at the front, 6000's at the rear and a Beolab 2.

I'm now watching it on an 11-46 which is all over the place with dynamic contrast, speakers are 14-4, the sub gives up and the satellites just can't cope with the aerial cars flying by. Beosystem 4 seems very agricultural in the way it turns things on and off as well. Nothing is blended in.

The opening scene was the acid test, and it didn't come off well at all.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Jan 14 2014 6:02 PM

One of my favorite movies. Actually I think the transfer on the old director's cut was superior, they exaggerated the contrast too much on the BluRay of the final cut, and some of the added scenes really don't add but detract from the flow, like the two dancers outside Taffy Lewis's. I've wondered about the 14, 2 inch drivers, although done better than Bose, have severe limitations.

The subject of added content in "directors" versions is interesting. In the original director's cut of BR, the dream sequence with the unicorn is essential and should always have been in, the other stuff on the BluRay, not so much. On Aliens, they have about 22 minutes of extra content, and it all fits and flows, it's obvious the reason it was chopped was only total film length. In the original Alien, the additional stuff mucks up the flow and doesn't add anything, especially her finding Dallas when she's running to reach the shuttle and abandon ship. It turns a frantic, balls out get the hell out hair puller into a start, stop, start thing that kills the feeling of panic.

Don't even get me started on the atrocity that George Lucas visited on THX 1138. He added a lot of stuff that totally blows up the stark bleakness of the underground existence and adds nothing to the movie at all, it almost destroys it. And worst of all the original is no longer available.

And Han shot first dammit! Stick out tongue

I just watched a very strange film, Pawn Shop Stories. A series of very odd vignettes that center around a Southern US pawn shop called General Lee's Pawn Shop. Really a few bubbles off center, quirky dark humor, very creative.

I also watched the first installment of a new HBO series, True Detective. Amazing dialog and the main two characters are well fleshed out and totally opposite, the two detectives who are partnered. Woody Harrelson plays a more normal detective, Matthew McConaughey plays a very odd, darkly philosophical and very smart detective. The story is spread between a murder investigation in the 90s and another investigation today, dealing with a ritualistic pagan type murder. I have to say this got a real hook in me due to the intelligent dialog and character development.

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:47 PM

vikinger:

Last night watched episodes 3&4 of The Bridge 2 on BBC4.

Great scandinavian drama with a detective with Aspergers who cannot tell a lie and feels no emotion. The BV11 is perfect for the dark and subtle tones of Malmö and Copenhagen.

Graham

@ DoubleU Yes - thumbs up

Really enjoyed Series 1 - can't wait for Series 2; finished "Borgen" Series 2 last night.

Some TV shows have become quite exceptional - and access to international gems is a great improvement.

Speaking of US remakes I see they are bringing the Australian series "Rake" to the American screen -- if you get access to the original Australian Series 1 it is worth checking it out

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:48 PM

Chris Townsend:
Blade Runner BluRay Directors edition. The last time I watched this was on a 7-40 Mk3 with a Beolab 7-2, 8000's at the front, 6000's at the rear and a Beolab 2.

I'm now watching it on an 11-46 which is all over the place with dynamic contrast, speakers are 14-4, the sub gives up and the satellites just can't cope with the aerial cars flying by. Beosystem 4 seems very agricultural in the way it turns things on and off as well. Nothing is blended in.

The opening scene was the acid test, and it didn't come off well at all.

That is seriously not good

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 10:58 PM

Jeff:
The subject of added content in "directors" versions is interesting. In the original director's cut of BR, the dream sequence with the unicorn is essential and should always have been in, the other stuff on the BluRay, not so much. On Aliens, they have about 22 minutes of extra content, and it all fits and flows, it's obvious the reason it was chopped was only total film length. In the original Alien, the additional stuff mucks up the flow and doesn't add anything, especially her finding Dallas when she's running to reach the shuttle and abandon ship. It turns a frantic, balls out get the hell out hair puller into a start, stop, start thing that kills the feeling of panic.

I was watching the start of Avatar with the extended cut and found the start was really enriched (or my memory had faded!)

Jeff:
Don't even get me started on the atrocity that George Lucas visited on (everything)

Han shot first dammit! Stick out tongue

Yes - thumbs up

Jeff:
I also watched the first installment of a new HBO series, True Detective. Amazing dialog and the main two characters are well fleshed out and totally opposite, the two detectives who are partnered. Woody Harrelson plays a more normal detective, Matthew McConaughey plays a very odd, darkly philosophical and very smart detective. The story is spread between a murder investigation in the 90s and another investigation today, dealing with a ritualistic pagan type murder. I have to say this got a real hook in me due to the intelligent dialog and character development.

Saw the first episode this week and fully agree with you.  I wonder (dread?) whether the narrative device will spawn a whole generation of bad look-a-likes. 

And although we have access to lots of things via Apple TV and catch up Apps I am totally frustrated by the lack of access to "The Newsroom" - I really like the show and had looked forward to Series 2, but missed an episode ... and can't catch up .... nor go forward since I will have gaps in the story line !

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jan 15 2014 11:47 PM

elephant:

I was watching the start of Avatar with the extended cut and found the start was really enriched (or my memory had faded!)

Well, both Aliens and Avatar are James Cameron flicks, maybe he's better than most at putting in extras that make sense. I remember the directors cut of The Abyss as being worth it too.

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Prometheus on the other hand :-/

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 6:49 PM

Chris Townsend:
Prometheus on the other hand :-/

No kidding, there's two hours of my life I'll never get back. I had such high hopes, as it was done by the original director and I generally am very impressed by Scott. But man, what a bummer of a let down.

Speaking of remakes, two of Verhoven's best are or have been remade. Total Recall was remade, and it was another triumph of special effects and action over any semblance of plot or story. The original was hands down better.

Now Robocop has been remade and starts this weekend. I will probably wait until it hits HBO or something as I fully expect it to be god awful compared to the original with Peter Weller's outstanding performance and dark cyberpunk story line.

Jeff

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Thu, Jan 23 2014 7:58 PM

Just saw the trailer of the new Robocop and I think you are so right, Jeff. I will probably not wait, at all, until it hits HBO. 

Saw Gravity last week, not in 3D though. Mixed feelings about this one. The story is rather thin, but the special effects and the shots of the outer space and the Earth are so cool. I'm not a fan of 3D, but for this one I can make an exception.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 4:03 AM
Started watching a Spanish police/detective series- except it is filmed in English.

Interesting ... I am up to S1E3.

However FS has stopped after E2 ... Way to gruesome for her !

It's called "Falcon" ... And I not read / seen the books.

BeoNut since '75

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 9:22 AM

Falcon is only 4 episodes. I have it on my NAS. I can wetransfer you E3 and E4, after Handbraking the dvd.

No trouble, let me know! 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 8:51 PM
DoubleU:

Falcon is only 4 episodes. I have it on my NAS. I can wetransfer you E3 and E4, after Handbraking the dvd.

No trouble, let me know!

Thank you !

I watched E3 on the weekend using catchup and E4 will broadcast this week; so no need - but a serious thank you :-)

Started watching a WW 1 documentary called "Doomsday" ... seeing the end of what could have been a golden age

BeoNut since '75

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Mon, Jan 27 2014 10:31 PM

The only thing which was weird for me about Falcon, is the English language in the small streets in Seville. So unnatural..

But keep them coming, E. Love those tips!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 11:31 AM

DoubleU:

The only thing which was weird for me about Falcon, is the English language in the small streets in Seville. So unnatural..

But keep them coming, E. Love those tips!

Well I think I need a tip from you !

( is this a spoiler alert ?)

I just watched episode 4 ... when Falcon goes to her house with a dog ... and she asks him to open a bottle of wine 

what the *expletive* happened ?

( feel free to PM me so that others remain in ignorant bliss )

I think I shall have to watch it over the weekend in "catch up" .... perhaps beer is incompatible with complex story lines !

PS also tonight I finished this season of BORGEN .... luckily the network is warming up for "house of cards" season 2 by doing a marathon back to back of all the episodes of all the series of the UK original Left Hug Beer Movie Drinks Right Hug ... or should those be all night Coffee Sleep Coffee Sleep Coffee

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Jan 30 2014 12:59 PM

rather enjoyed BBC's recent "Treasures of Ancient Egypt" re-looking at Egyptian art through the eyes of an art lover and "Italy Unpacked In the Footsteps of Poets", showing the BBC at its finest and proving that majority of UK Freeview channels are utter rubbish.  

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Feb 1 2014 10:02 PM

Finale of The Bridge just starting now on BBC4.

Graham

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Feb 1 2014 11:16 PM

vikinger:

Finale of The Bridge just starting now on BBC4.

Graham

Apart from a couple of continuity/ editing issues i would say that The Bridge 2 is just about the best thing we have had on UK TV for a long time. And with the usual twist in the final minutes.

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:01 AM

Last night I was up late, couldn't sleep, so I watched "After Earth" with Will Smith and his son acting in it. Dreadful, illogical, poorly acted, etc. Made me long for Prometheus.

Jeff

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member

Just watched Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks, WOW! Stating the obvious Hanks has got to be one of the greatest actors of his generation. I remember watching him in early movies like Volunteers from 1985 and thinking he was a pretty good at comedy but had no idea what a great dramatic actor he would turn out to be. But the same goes for Robin Williams and Steve Martin who were comedians who turned to serious roles and really excelled. It doesn't seem to happen too often in reverse that people who start out as serious dramatic actors can do comedy really well. I am sure there are exceptions but I can't think of any at the moment.

John

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 2 2014 3:42 PM

jfrancis:

Just watched Captain Phillips with Tom Hanks, WOW! Stating the obvious Hanks has got to be one of the greatest actors of his generation. I remember watching him in early movies like Volunteers from 1985 and thinking he was a pretty good at comedy but had no idea what a great dramatic actor he would turn out to be. But the same goes for Robin Williams and Steve Martin who were comedians who turned to serious roles and really excelled. It doesn't seem to happen too often in reverse that people who start out as serious dramatic actors can do comedy really well. I am sure there are exceptions but I can't think of any at the moment.

John

I agree with you, these actors transitioned from comedy to drama very well. Robin Williams in some films, can play a truly frightening character. One Hour Photo where he plays an obsessed and psychotic photo booth tech was amazing.

One who went the other way were Leslie Nielsen, big difference between his dramatic roles, such as Forbidden Planet and such, and Airplane and Police Squad.

Most recently Kelsey Grammar, who was known for his comedy in Cheers and Frasier, was just stunningly good at the dramatic role of the mayor of Chicago in Boss. Cruel, ruthless, iron fisted, an amazing performance.

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

Jeff:

Most recently Kelsey Grammar, who was known for his comedy in Cheers and Frasier, was just stunningly good at the dramatic role of the mayor of Chicago in Boss. Cruel, ruthless, iron fisted, an amazing performance.

Showing here in the UK on Channel 4 starting 10th Feb at 2.20am!

Don't know whether I missed any earlier showings, but this looks like one for the hard disk!

Graham

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Feb 2 2014 4:50 PM

I think you'll enjoy it Graham! It was such a change, the smiling, bumbling Frasier, suddenly showing up as this unethical, vicious, ruthless person. But that also pretty much accurately defines Chicago politics, it's continually rated as the most corrupt city in the US. Deservedly so. Boss has no shortage of great performances either, they cast it well.

It's interesting, IMO standard broadcast network television shows here get consistently worse, shallower, silly, etc. while the pay movie channels, HBO, Showtime, etc. have shows that get better and better. With some exceptions of course, not all network ones are terrible, not all pay ones are great.

I just started watching Black Sails, a pirate show on Showtime I think. Still not sure about it, it didn't come out of the gate as strong as some but it seems to have potential, certainly the production values are impressive. True Detective on HBO however came out of the gate and just bowled me over, I was hooked 15 min into it.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 7:03 AM

Moon. Excellent scifi about a man living and working on the dark side of the moon managing a helium 3 mining operation. Things are not what they seem, and since much more info would give it away I'll stop there. Neat thing though is the robot that assists him. It moves around by means of overhead tracks it hangs from, it has one arm, but the neat thing is that it has a front mounted screen that shows a variety of smiley faces that halp the man interact with it buy showing its moods. Concern, happy, etc. 

Not your usual scifi fare, no aliens, no laser guns, slower and more thought provoking. 

Jeff

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 12:36 PM

Jeff:

I had never seen a 3D movie so thought I should start out with the current state of the art. Good movie, wasn't that impressed by the 3D, it was cool, but ultimately was a distraction that gave me a slight headache by the end. I was kind of surprised at all the additional content that stretches it out to three more than full length movies, but I guess the director wanted a sextet of films with the three Lord of the Rings ones.

I see at "CES" this year that most TV manufactures seemed to be extra quiet about 3D

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

Mark:
I see at "CES" this year that most TV manufactures seemed to be extra quiet about 3D

A week or two ago, I watched on the telly a "making of" feature of the BBC's new nature documentary series on Galapagos Islands that they are shooting in 3D. David Attenborough (age 87) was raving about it and saying he had wanted to do that for a long time. Apparently sceneries don't look like much in regular 3D, so they shot time lapse scenes with the two cameras as far as 100 meters apart.

I never thought 3D would fly for regular movies and shows, but this one I would like to see.

--mika

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Feb 4 2014 3:21 PM

I could actually see the point of 3D in a nature show if done well, to give you a sense of the proportions and feel of the location. Most 3D is over exaggerated in the same way stereo records were when they first came out.

Jeff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BDbSpQI-6VE&feature=youtube_gdata_player

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

John Francis
Top 500 Contributor
USA
Posts 155
Silver Member
Jeff I agree Moon was a really entertaining movie. The voice of the robot I believe was Kevin Spacey and of course the director is Duncan Jones, Formerly Zowie Bowie, David Bowie's son. I respect that he uses the family last name and has made a reputation for himself independent of his father. John
DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Tue, Feb 11 2014 10:51 PM

Saw The Wolf of Wall Street this week. DiCaprio deserves an oscar for his role. Brilliant!

This week starting with Banshee S2. House of cards S2 releases this weekend. Can't wait!!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Feb 15 2014 8:06 PM

DoubleU:
House of cards S2 releases this weekend. Can't wait!!

Same here - but we are having to wait a day or three to have a viewing quorum

The transition from "True Detective" s1e3 to s1e4 has thrown me - I thought I might have lost track of the plot .... now I think the makers might have

We have discovered a piece of nostalgia - a detective series called "Vera" set in Northumbria - "eeh pet - not a great story but we love the accents and the street scenes and countryside 

And we have started watch a French mystery series - "The Returned" - Yes - thumbs up Yes - thumbs up Yes - thumbs up

BeoNut since '75

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sat, Feb 15 2014 8:24 PM

elephant:

We have discovered a piece of nostalgia - a detective series called "Vera" set in Northumbria - "eeh pet - not a great story but we love the accents and the street scenes and countryside 

And we have started watch a French mystery series - "The Returned" - Yes - thumbs up Yes - thumbs up Yes - thumbs up

Couldn't take to Vera. Also, here in UK 'New Tricks' is being endlessly repeated by the BBC, and repetition does not improve it!

Having withdrawal symptoms now that The Bridge 2 has finished. I need another fix of scandinavian detective drama, but I am warming to the saturday evening replacement series: Salamander, which I think is Belgian with Dutch as the main language.

Graham

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Sat, Feb 15 2014 9:46 PM

vikinger:

I need another fix of scandinavian detective drama

I can recommend Wallander. Yes - thumbs up

The Killing is my favourite though, but you probably saw it already??

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 10:26 AM

DoubleU:

vikinger:

Yes, seen The Killing and most versions of Wallander. The Swedish Wallander programmes are better than the British.  Kenneth Branagh is very good in the role, but the scripts seem more sanitized.

Graham

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 11:25 AM

vikinger:

DoubleU:

vikinger:

Yes, seen The Killing and most versions of Wallander. The Swedish Wallander programmes are better than the British.  Kenneth Branagh is very good in the role, but the scripts seem more sanitized.

Graham

Have you seen the movie called "Headhunter" from the novel by Jo Nesbo ?

BeoNut since '75

Page 5 of 19 (746 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS