Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beocord 2000 Reel to Reel, Mexico

rated by 0 users
This post has 126 Replies | 7 Followers

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Victoria, British Columbia Canada
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sat, May 9 2015 3:16 AM

Søren Mexico:
One of the best records recorded digital, and then transferred masterly to analog media, IMO better than the CD which I also have.

Hi Søren,

Had you not told me, I would never, but NEVER have thought it was a digitally mastered recording, it is that good.

I am glad you liked it…. you know I did.

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sat, May 9 2015 3:25 AM

Søren Mexico:
I dont understand women

Hi Søren,

I have it on very good advice (my father) that women are not meant to be understood. Loved, to be sure, admired naturally, but understood?

Not gonna happen.

I once asked one of my best friends, a truly gorgeous woman, why women say “yes” when they definitely mean “no, and the reverse.

My friend Lynn told me, “I don’t know why, we just do….. get used to it.”

And so it is. Embarrassed

Jeff

Beogram 4000, Beogram 4002, Beogram 4004, Beogram 8000, Beogram 8002, Beogram 1602. Beogram 4500 CD player, B&O CDX player, Beocord 4500, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 5000 T4716, Beocord 8004, Beocord 9000, Beomaster 1000, Beomaster 1600, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 2400.2, Beomaster 4400, Beomaster 4500, Beolab 5000, Beomaster 5000, BeoCenter 9000. BeoSound Century,  S-45.2, S-45.2, S-75, S-75, M-75, M-100, MC 120.2 speakers; B&O Illuminated Sign (with crown & red logo). B&O grey & black Illuminated Sign, B&O black Plexiglas dealer sign, B&O ash tray, B&O (Orrefors) dealer award vase,  B&O Beotime Clock. Navy blue B&O baseball cap, B&O T-shirt X2, B&O black ball point pen, B&O Retail Management Binder

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member

Søren Mexico:

I dont understand women,

Neither do I, and I've given up on that ambition. Now I am concentrating on understanding MY woman.

But what is the conflict between women and large speakers (MS150, 5000 MkII, S60)? Is it some ancient history or genetic?

Søren, do you need that riia board?

/***

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

tamtapir:
Søren, do you need that riia board?

I would like to have it, it will make my BG 1000 complete, if you can send it to my son in Copenhagen, and price with shipping, I will PM the address

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, May 11 2015 3:40 AM

tamtapir:
I dont understand women

Guys,

With women all you need to look at is shopping, with men, it is a necessity, with women, it is a blood sport.

Women can shop for hours and be beyond excited, as in sex. Even worse, it is not necessary to buy anything, just to look at it.

It goes on: Touch the item, feel it, try it on…. then buy it, and three days later return it for a refund: Perfection, paradise, nirvana.

It is a different breed of cat. Drinks

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, May 11 2015 4:35 PM

Piaf:

But don't you love to pet them? 

Jacques

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Mon, May 11 2015 6:20 PM

chartz:

Piaf:

PizzaMoon  That's funny.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Mon, May 11 2015 11:08 PM

chartz:

Good mood or bad mood?

If it is a bad mood I require a whip and a chair.

Good mood, well we ALL love to pet ‘em.

Jeff

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Tue, May 12 2015 7:59 AM

Piaf:

chartz:

Good mood or bad mood?

If it is a bad mood I require a whip and a chair.

Good mood, well we ALL love to pet ‘em.

Jeff

We ALL love to pet them ALL. But maybe they are from Venus and we men are from Mars (in Swedish: Män är från Marstrand och kvinnor från Ven) and that is what is so fascinating with them.

Btw and (more) on topic, Is a vintage Beocord 2000 femal or male?

/***

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Tue, May 12 2015 6:04 PM

All equipment is female.  The records, tapes, and discs are male.

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Tue, May 12 2015 7:19 PM

Rich:
All equipment is female.  The records, tapes, and discs are male.

Rich,

Is this observation based on the French/Spanish concept as in the “table” is female, while the “chairs” are male?

If this is how you see it, it works for me.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Back to drive, Got my parts from Mouser on Friday and today I could go to work on the BC2000 again, I started changing caps and the first 2 PCBs went well they are exactly as the ones shown in the diagram that came with the BC, but on the 3rd PCB i found differences, went to 4th and the same there. Nearly nothing was like the diagram, I then started to get serious, on one PCB I found 4 transistors the diagram showed 6, printed on the PCB is AC 107 and the transistor there is a 2N2613 (Germanium) also a different layout and different cap values on the PCB. I then pulled out the BC 2000 de Luxe diagrams, and there the diagrams fitted with 2 of the PCB in mine. But the thing is that the PCBs in the BC2000 has Germanium transistors where as the de Luxe has silicone transistors, the resistors may have different values I didnt check that far, but the diagram is spot on, so once again we see the production changes with no changes in the manuals and/or diagrams. I ordered my caps after checking 2 PCBs to the diagrams, and then went on ordering after the diagram as the PCBs was according to the diagrams, I will now have to make one more order, and will sit on 20 to 30 caps wrong ordered. I will post some pics later on. Tomorrow costumers and the FS are calling for me.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Mon, Jun 1 2015 8:48 AM

According to the information found here and there, the first machines that used silicon transistors were supposed to be the Beocord 1800 and 2400 series !

Now it makes sense why B&O continued to use PNPs in later models: to be able to retro-fit newer silicon pre-amplifiers to older germanium-based machines! 

They may well have done that on production lines too.

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Could finish the electrolytic caps today, the differences to the schematics was only on the Radio and Microphon preamp PCBs.

Here the end amp PCB

Here the Microphone preamp, It has 2 pcs 320 mF and 3 pcs 64 mF caps, I had to use 2 330 mF radial caps and for the 64 mF each 2 33 mF in parallel, I didnt find a schematic that was similar

Here the Radio preamp, the 2 new caps in the middle is 100 mF 6.4 V I used 100 mF 25 V, the schematics for BC 2400 shows these

The rest were as shown in the BC 2000 schematics, once again I learned not to take anything for given and check, check, check.

Here the turntable preamp.

Last came the power supply, here I had to drill 4 holes to be able to accommodate the 2 pcs. 1000 mu caps, I fastened them with wire straps. Check the fuse, it has solder lugs, no holder, I never seen that before.

Now onto the slide potentiometers, I tried to clean them with ISP and then get some Deoxit in there, but even so there were some small noises once in while, they are assembled with very small rivets so assembling them I knew would be a strangle.

2 wires and 2 resistors to desolder, at the other end there are 2 more wires, easier when the poti is out.

Desoldered

The poti out, the arrows shows the small rivets, I drilled them out with a 1.5 mm drill bit

The top cover off

I then pulled off the Jesus Christ circlips, the other end of the shafts are secured with a blade spring, it keeps the shafts secured to avoid any not wished movement

Its now possible to pull out the shafts, I went very slowly there, who knows what may be in there. The blade spring you can see left in the pic.

All out, look at all the dirt in there and I cleaned from the outside with ISP and pipe cleaners.

The slider with contact points, started cleaning with a small brush and ISP and the point at the arrow came loose and out. These are very small 2 x 5 mm and black so pay attention when cleaning, I let it all dry well and put back the point and glued all of them from the back side with crazy glue.

Here the top view, the arrow points to a blade spring, its there to keep the slider in position once positioned, and to give some resistance when moving it, do not lose it.

All clean, Deoxited and together again, lubricated the shafts with a little silicone grease

I now had to find a way to fix the top cover, I was thinking of soldering but there is a rubber gasket in the top cover so thats not a good idea. Thinking back to my pupil years I remembered that we made our own rivets from copper ( part of the good Danish mechanic education, thank you to my old Meister). I found a piece of single strand copper wire, the copper is 1.8 mm thick, I drilled up the holes to 2 mm, cut the wire in 5 mm pieces and with a small hammer and a mandrel with a bench vise as contra hold could form the rivets, a little on one side then the other and so on until a fixed connection was there.

Here a close up

The top, not as nice as I want it, but the next one will be better

Back in and soldered. Works good difference right to left 1-2 Ohms

The de Luxe BC has double sliders so it must be different, but as you see it is possible to clean and repair them, more to come

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Wed, Jun 3 2015 6:27 AM

Of course, copper rivets! I had forgotten about those! Brilliant!

I am lucky that all my pots are silent.

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Finished the potentiometers to day, the rivets has to be, there is no space there for a nut, so even if you can get 2 mm screws there is no space for the nut, and the casing for the sliders are not thick enough to cut threads in it, Will continue tomorrow with more pics.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Here some pics from the poti repair, as you will see it was worth it, my first attempts to clean them with pipe cleaners, without taking them apart was just worthless.

See the dirt in there, cleaned off with ISP and then treated with Deoxit.

To get at the solder pegs on the Radio and Phono pots I had to move the plinths for the amp PCBs

Here the play potentiometer, more soldering than on the others, make sure to take notes, there are 2 wires at the other end of the poti, I desolder these before taking the poti out, the rest is easier when the poti is out. Change the 2 caps while you are at it, both of mine were bad.

Space for soldering is small, but goes easily after the first tries

Clean

All in and soldered

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I then went through the mechanical adjustments one more time, the tone heads  got polished with 9 micron sanding paper, put in all the PCBs and ready for testing. Using an old tape the recording came out muffled, the radio input didnt work, the phono input did, the right level meter didnt work. All PCBs out again, checked all caps for polarity, checked all solder points also on the potentiometers, on the right amplifier PCB a wire to one output transistor was broken at the PCB solder point, I soldered it back on and put it all together again, the radio input not working, the level meter not working, phono input OK and sounding better. All out again, on the radio preamp PCB there is a switch for changing it to a microphone input, it is not shown in the BC 2000 diagram, but in the BC 2400 it is. I wonder if this PCB was changed once upon a time, or if it was a production change. I had cleaned it before, but did it again and gave it a good workout, checked with my Ohm meter. I then went through all the push button switches, checked with Ohm meter where possible and cleaned all of them again, the on/off speed selector likewise.

All this took me 2 evenings, each 3 hours, a headache and the second evening a couple of cubas.

New test old tape, right level meter not working, gave all the push buttons a work out and there it was all working. Radio input working, phono input working, I dont have a microphone so not tested.

A brand new tape was unpacked, RMG SM911, recorded first from BG 1202, then from the radio input from a Sandisk mini MP3 player, with my CX 100 conected and monitoring the recording sound, Just amazing recording and playing no difference audible, no humming or other sounds audible on quite parts, no motor rumble.

Recorded both sides of the tape from the MP3 player, then went on listening for clean tracks, no problems, recorded on side again, same good sound as before with head phones a little clearer but nearly the same as over speakers, not as clear as my BC 5000 pizza, but very near.

I am making some new cables to connect it properly to my BM 1000 and will the give it a couple of days workout.

I am now missing a microphone and the 2 caps for the tape guides, I will post a link to a video with the BC 2000 playing

Here the pic of the wonder recording during test

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sat, Jun 13 2015 11:31 PM

Hi Søren,

Every time I see your dedicated workmanship I find myself amazed in the extreme. I mean the complete and total dedication…. you NEVER give up. You are a credit to your engineering master.

I have nothing of my own “work” to contribute, although I did take my Kodak 8mm Sound projector in for cleaning/lubrication to the tech who repaired my Tandberg 9000X reel-to-reel. Probably should see if he really “fixed” it as he now has my Kodak 16mm optical sound projector on his bench.

He said he found nothing wrong other than dirt, but added “Did you know you have an all tube amplifier in there? You got three tubes.”

Back on subject your Beocord 2000 maybe your biggest triumph after the Beomaster 4400. Good job! Yes - thumbs up

Jeff

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sun, Jun 14 2015 12:07 AM
Well done Søren!

How did you manage the rubber cushions and head adjustments then?

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:
Well done Søren!

How did you manage the rubber cushions and head adjustments then?

I didnt, I left it all like it was, but on a later time I will go back to it, I need some more tools for that

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

I connected the BC to my BM 1000 the BM 1000 is connected to the Beovox M70s, Turned the BC on and pressed play, and was blown away, what a sound, just amazing, way better than through the CX 100 connected directly to the BC.

I had to place the BC in a corner, running out of space and FS permissions

After playing the already recorded tape, I recorded from the radio and that went well too, I am very proud of my Beocord 2000 reel to reel

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sun, Jun 14 2015 2:08 AM
Congrats. Big Smile

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Cant wait to get the BC connected to the BL/BM 5000 and the M70 speakers, through BM 1000 and M70s I dare say the sound is better than BC 5000 BM 5000 (pizza) M70s, I am just so impressed with the sound.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Rich:
Congrats. Big Smile

Rich get one, its amazing

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sun, Jun 14 2015 5:10 AM

Well done Soren  Yes - thumbs up

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Fri, Oct 13 2017 7:56 PM

All pictures are gone Søren... depressing.

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Fri, Oct 13 2017 8:42 PM

Jacques,

Did I miss something?

chartz:

What pictures are gone? I am assuming it has something to do with Soren's Beocord 2000. OMG, did changing servers result in a loss of photos?

Jeff

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Fri, Oct 13 2017 9:03 PM

Piaf:

Jacques,

Did I miss something?

chartz:

What pictures are gone? I am assuming it has something to do with Soren's Beocord 2000. OMG, did changing servers result in a loss of photos?

Jeff

No, sadly it's to do with photobucket's image hosting charges - see here: https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

It has affected many forums, and some excellent historical data.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Guy:

No, sadly it's to do with photobucket's image hosting charges - see here: https://petapixel.com/2017/07/01/photobucket-just-broke-billions-photos-embedded-web/

It has affected many forums, and some excellent historical data.

Correct Guy, Photobucket suddenly started charging min. USD 50.00 for publishing links and pics on forums, as I have all my pics stored in at least 2 computers its not a problem for me, but the threads are worthless without the pics

I have been using Photobucket for years so all my pics on my threads are gone from the forum, restoring the pics to the threads will be a nearly impossible and time consuming job which I dont want to do.

If you need specific pics mail me and I will do my best to find them

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Fri, Oct 13 2017 9:51 PM

Thanks Guy and Soren,

This is really lousy, a real travesty!

Photos makes these threads come alive and have meaning. Without them, hardly worth the time to look.

So many amazing photos, and Soren, your were some of the best. The BL 5000 restoration was legend and the ONLY way I leaned to change frets was from your step by step guide. Just recently completed the S45.2's and M75's.

I am depressed too Jacques.

Jeff

Guy
Top 50 Contributor
Warwickshire
Posts 2,590
Gold Member
Guy replied on Sat, Oct 14 2017 6:41 AM

Søren Mexico:

Correct Guy, Photobucket suddenly started charging min. USD 50.00 for publishing links and pics on forums, as I have all my pics stored in at least 2 computers its not a problem for me, but the threads are worthless without the pics

I have been using Photobucket for years so all my pics on my threads are gone from the forum, restoring the pics to the threads will be a nearly impossible and time consuming job which I dont want to do.

If you need specific pics mail me and I will do my best to find them

Good to see you back on the forum Søren, and I hope that things in Mexico are gradually returning to normality.

Yes it's a great shame about photobucket - many of the forums that I visit, and threads that I have bookmarked are now severely affected.  I feel sorry for the authors of photo threads like yours, with many hours of painstaking effort for the benefit of others reduced to almost worthless status overnight.  And it's not as if there was any financial gain in forums like this - just people being helpful.

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Oct 14 2017 9:44 AM

Most fora members refused to pay and yes, very useful photos have lately disappeared from many hi-fi fora, what a loss.

I was warned many years ago of such a risk, and I have used Beoworld photo albums since the changeover.

I hear that the photos are still available at Photobucket though, only the links are broken.

Jacques

Piaf
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,639
Founder
Piaf replied on Sat, Oct 14 2017 10:58 PM

Hi Jacques,

It would appear that Photo Bucket has shot themselves in the foot, or if your prefer another metaphor, killed the goose that laid the golden egg. People who are accustomed to having a service gratis react badly when the company suddenly says, "Pay US$50 a month, or else." Virtually everyone when placed in that position will choose "else" and as a business model this is business suicide.

If true, perhaps they will change their errant policy.

If not, many forums will suffer or simple fade away. 

Still good to see Soren back on the forum. I hope the FS is feeling a lot more settled by now.

Jeff

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Some pics back, more to come, click, click, click

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

All pics back

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Feb 27 2020 8:41 AM

Hi Søren,

That's cool, thanks for the community! Damn PB, right? Big Smile

Jacques

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Thu, Feb 27 2020 8:41 AM

Hi Søren,

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

Hi Søren,

Hi Jaques

John ( Sonavor) Has bought a Beocord 2000 and asked me to bring back the pics, John will surely go all out on his and restore it to perfection, I hope he will make a thread and explain in detail for an amateur like me.

BTH took me about 3 hours to dig out, upload and post the pics, cant believe it is 6 years ago I did this one, and yes Photbucket is a PIB

sonavor
Top 25 Contributor
Texas, United States
Posts 3,732
Bronze Member
sonavor replied on Thu, Feb 27 2020 7:20 PM

Søren Mexico:

John will surely go all out on his and restore it to perfection

haha Søren

I hope I can come close to what you did on your Beocord 2000 project.  You did an amazing job. 

Thanks for bringing the photos back.

John

Page 3 of 4 (127 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 Next > | RSS