Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Chromecast built-in - working/not working?

rated by 0 users
This post has 198 Replies | 10 Followers

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 9:57 AM

HAWK:

Ok, yesterday it did work all day, but today at 18:04 (CET) it stopped working again (despite the new DNS servers in my router). At 19:30 it worked for a few minutes, but now (19:42) it stopped working again. 

Totally unpredictable behaviour.........I give up and enjoy my Harman Kardon (Citation Towers, great speakers by the way!).

So for me in Germany all devices from different manufacturers work without problems.
For my BS2 mk1, the Chromecast version is still the same as yours and it works here at any time of day completely without issues ...?
@HAWK
Just one last idea if you still feel like trying (since you have other good speakers :))
I also had DHCP disabled in the B&O app and gave my BS2 a static IP (outside my routers DHCP range!), see screenshot below, and changed the DNS server.
Whether that also makes an improvement in this case, I do not know.
If this is not too cumbersome and annoying in your case, you could try a daily reboot of your router.
Or better just a reconnect.
If your router, like my Fritzbox, offers this possibility. With a reconnect you get a new IP address in seconds and this solves various kinds of problems. I can well imagine that it also would help in this case.
But if not, then I'm out of ideas and can't think of anything else to try :)

tiktak
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
tiktak replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 10:06 AM

I can confirm my A5 and M5 are also not working with CG. Both speakers states in critical events: "Authentication server unreachable, stopping Google Cast".

I still have version 1.24.41.628 on my M5. It states that this is the newest version. Strange that one user could upgrade to 1.25. I have tried restaring the M5 several times to force it to look for an update. No success.

I wrote with B&O support yesterday. I was told a software fix was being worked on but they could not provide an expected release.

tiktak
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
tiktak replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 10:09 AM

@Ulrike: I know how to give my products a static IP. But you wrote something about giving an IP outside the routers DHCP range. How is this done? How do I know my routers DHCP range? Can you help clarify?

Best regards

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 10:50 AM

Ulrike:

HAWK:

Ok, yesterday it did work all day, but today at 18:04 (CET) it stopped working again (despite the new DNS servers in my router). At 19:30 it worked for a few minutes, but now (19:42) it stopped working again. 

Totally unpredictable behaviour.........I give up and enjoy my Harman Kardon (Citation Towers, great speakers by the way!).

For my BS2 mk1, the Chromecast version is still the same as yours and it works here at any time of day completely without issues ...?
@HAWK
Just one last idea if you still feel like trying (since you have other good speakers :))
I also had DHCP disabled in the B&O app and gave my BS2 a static IP (outside my routers DHCP range!), see screenshot below, and changed the DNS server.
Whether that also makes an improvement in this case, I do not know.
If this is not too cumbersome and annoying in your case, you could try a daily reboot of your router.
Or better just a reconnect.
If your router, like my Fritzbox, offers this possibility. With a reconnect you get a new IP address in seconds and this solves various kinds of problems. I can well imagine that it also would help in this case.
But if not, then I'm out of ideas and can't think of anything else to try :)

Thx again @Ulrike. I have a Fritz!Box too, and it is not so complicated to try this, I will do later today. 

@Tiktak: normally your router provides internal IP numbers, for example in the range 192.168.1.10 until 192.168.1.200, you can then decide to give your B&O device a fixed address outside this range, e.g. 192.168.1.201 (max range is between 1 and 255, but normally these lower and higher numbers are already reserved for other/network devices, gateways, etc). If you don't know how to do this, better be careful and ask some one who knows about this. 

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 10:55 AM

tiktak:

@Ulrike: I know how to give my products a static IP. But you wrote something about giving an IP outside the routers DHCP range. How is this done? How do I know my routers DHCP range? Can you help clarify?

Best regards

Usually under Network Settings/ Home Network/ IPv4 Settings. In my case the DHCP range is from 20 to 200, this is usually the default setting.

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 11:09 AM

And here is how to reconnect instead of rebooting:

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 5:09 PM

Ok, I followed Ulrike his suggestions, so I gave the B&O device a fixed IP address (out of the DHCP range) AND also reconnect my router. Since my provider gives customers a (semi) fixed external IP address, my external IP address did not change, but ok, just to be sure. 

The GC started to work correctly, as before, but since 17:55 (CET) it gave the same error again. 

Did a reboot (again) and now it works again....but for how long?

Ok, it seems more than (only) an IP/addressing issue, and let's wait for the upcoming new (GC) firmware, as tiktak wrote that B&O support is been working on.

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Wed, Feb 24 2021 5:31 PM

Short update: less than half an hour, at 18:29 (CET), it stopped working again, same error. 

Since I mainly stream to multiple speakers, using Google Home (Groups) it is very annoying, but ok. I stop testing now, and will use the B&O app in the mean time, and GC for the other speakers. 

tiktak
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
tiktak replied on Thu, Feb 25 2021 12:42 PM

Update from B&O support:

I just received an email stating that they are "constantly working om a solution to ensure Chromecast is working again. B&O is working with Google to fix the issue.The problem is due to a server error."

No information regarding a timeframe for update.

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Thu, Feb 25 2021 8:17 PM

stampfki:

Hi, particularly my M5 keeps bothering me. it’s Running on the latest Firmware 1.24 and out of the blue it suddenly makes trouble. 

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/6096/qn46tosy_jpg.htm

any idea why it’s not showing its serial ID and the system tells about failed software update?

Additionally it has been also disappeared from the Google app as chrome cast device.

Really frustrated here...

Br from Germany :)

Did reset the M5 and keep trying to pair it to the IOS B&O app. But it simply does not appear there. As Bluetooth device I can see and pair it, but it’s showed with serial no 00000 as part of the default Bluetooth name. Usually it shows up as BeoplayM5-serial no. Any ideas? It’s on firmware 1.24 and I haven’t initiated any update, which hasn’t been offered anyway.

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Thu, Feb 25 2021 8:19 PM

tiktak:

Update from B&O support:

I just received an email stating that they are "constantly working om a solution to ensure Chromecast is working again. B&O is working with Google to fix the issue.The problem is due to a server error."

No information regarding a timeframe for update.

That’s good news!

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member
Dyssegaard replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 11:16 AM
Yesterday my two M5s got sw version 1.25.42741. CC version is still 1.28.102057.

However CC is now working as before, and I no longer get error messages in the error log.

Static CC groups are also working, but no signs of the new dynamic CC groups yet.

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 12:28 PM

Dyssegaard:
Yesterday my two M5s got sw version 1.25.42741. CC version is still 1.28.102057.

However CC is now working as before, and I no longer get error messages in the error log.

Static CC groups are also working, but no signs of the new dynamic CC groups yet.

That is how my M5 behaved after the upgrade to 1.25. After a few days the log got flooded by these error messages again. (...."Authentication server unreachable, stopping Google Cast!" ) 

The dynamic CC groups will probably not work with the 1.28 CC version.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 8:25 PM
Today my A6 was updated to 1.25 as my M5.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

lks
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
lks replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 9:16 PM

stampfki:

stampfki:

Hi, particularly my M5 keeps bothering me. it’s Running on the latest Firmware 1.24 and out of the blue it suddenly makes trouble. 

https://www.directupload.net/file/d/6096/qn46tosy_jpg.htm

any idea why it’s not showing its serial ID and the system tells about failed software update?

Additionally it has been also disappeared from the Google app as chrome cast device.

Really frustrated here...

Br from Germany :)

Did reset the M5 and keep trying to pair it to the IOS B&O app. But it simply does not appear there. As Bluetooth device I can see and pair it, but it’s showed with serial no 00000 as part of the default Bluetooth name. Usually it shows up as BeoplayM5-serial no. Any ideas? It’s on firmware 1.24 and I haven’t initiated any update, which hasn’t been offered anyway.

Had my M5 replaced under RMA with the same issue last year.
Is it still under Warranty ?

lks
Not Ranked
Posts 2
Bronze Member
lks replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 9:16 PM

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member
stampfki replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 10:18 PM

lks:

Unfortunately no, 6 month beyond :((

is it worth to ask support? Or is it considered as crap now?

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Feb 26 2021 11:11 PM

It's always worth asking...  maybe they say no, maybe they take pity... 

tiktak
Not Ranked
Posts 13
Bronze Member
tiktak replied on Sat, Feb 27 2021 12:45 PM

If you do ask support I would be glad if you would share your experience with us.

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Sat, Feb 27 2021 3:43 PM

Can you let me know what the update for the A6 included? I can’t tell whether my unit received it or not. There doesn’t seem to be any material on it on the Internet.

Irvine
Not Ranked
Posts 61
Bronze Member
Irvine replied on Sat, Feb 27 2021 3:44 PM

Also, did the update resolve the Chromecast audio issue?

bab
Not Ranked
Posts 22
Bronze Member
bab replied on Sat, Feb 27 2021 4:14 PM

No update on my A6, still on 1.24.41627

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Sat, Feb 27 2021 4:32 PM
Irvine:

Can you let me know what the update for the A6 included? I can’t tell whether my unit received it or not. There doesn’t seem to be any material on it on the Internet.

Go to the A6 in the B&O app.

Tap product settings.

Select “software”.

Then you can see sw version

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Feb 27 2021 8:10 PM
Not sure what’s going on, but my A9 MK2 and BS2 MK1 have both disappeared again from Google Home, and CC’ing is not possible again.

This happened in the first wave a month or so ago, were then restored but now have disappeared again.

hadr
Top 500 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 92
Bronze Member
hadr replied on Sun, Feb 28 2021 12:14 AM
Sandyb:

Not sure what’s going on, but my A9 MK2 and BS2 MK1 have both disappeared again from Google Home, and CC’ing is not possible again.

This happened in the first wave a month or so ago, were then restored but now have disappeared again.

Same for me. Casting just to my A9 seems to work, but casting to speaker groups that include the A9 is not. Stopped working a few weeks ago (A9 had disappeared from the Google home app), then a few days ago started working again and now nothing. A9 appears offline again in the Google app but is listed as a device. Chrome cast version is 1.28....

Airplay 2 also has sync/lag issues when playing in multiple speakers so at the moment in am left with playing to a single speaker at a time.

B&Os ads for connected speakers seem a bit ill timed tbh...
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Feb 28 2021 4:07 AM
hadr:

Same for me. Casting just to my A9 seems to work, but casting to speaker groups that include the A9 is not. Stopped working a few weeks ago (A9 had disappeared from the Google home app), then a few days ago started working again and now nothing. A9 appears offline again in the Google app but is listed as a device. Chrome cast version is 1.28....

Airplay 2 also has sync/lag issues when playing in multiple speakers so at the moment in am left with playing to a single speaker at a time.

I did a reboot (in the troubleshooting part of the B&O app) and I can CC again

But how long it will work for, who knows
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sun, Feb 28 2021 10:25 AM

hadr:

It's a shame that B&O does not promote their own multiroom better, it is flawless, always in sync, simple to operate, unique "touch to join" feature, etc ...

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Sun, Feb 28 2021 10:54 AM

mbolo01:
t's a shame that B&O does not promote their own multiroom better, it is flawless, always in sync, simple to operate, unique "touch to join" feature, etc ...
So I will repeat it!

B&o own multiroom:

it is flawless, always in sync, simple to operate, unique "touch to join" feature, etc ...

pass it on........

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Sun, Feb 28 2021 11:37 AM

But a pity that is not multi vendor, so you are locked-in to B&O. Similar with Denon HEOS, etc, etc . 

When (if?) Google Home / Cast is working as it should, it is the most easy way to have a multi brand, multi room system. Let's wait for the software upgrade. My HK speakers also became very stable in a GC enviornment after the sw upgrade to GC v1.44. 

Did some more testing, and it seems that single-speaker GC functionality is still working stable with the v1.28 GC Versions on our B&O, also multi-room can work, but when one of the other GC devices in the same group starts to do something else (like my Google Nest), then the GC group is "broken". As restart of the B&O devices does seem to solve that temporarely. Far from ideal, but I am confident in the focus on this subject now with B&O, so let's wait and see. 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

HAWK:

When (if?) Google Home / Cast is working as it should, it is the most easy way to have a multi brand, multi room system. Let's wait for the software upgrade. 

Two comments there:

1: Multiroom - you might be right.....when one is willing to use the phone/tablet (or a Nest Hub) as the main controller.

2: Multibrand - when you use non B&O devices, you probably won’t care for the B&O app, the Beoremote, the Essence Remote, the Join function anyway.

So you can only be partly right there - and it is maybe not that interesting to most users here.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member
CC error messages are back in the errorlog few days after updating to sw 1.25 on my M5 Sad:

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Same here with my Essence.

After a restart it’s there again (but for how long?).

Hopefully the B&O guys will solve that problem with the Google people.

MM

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Mon, Mar 1 2021 1:35 PM

Updates reached my A6, M5 and M3.

No improvement for Chromecast (<1.4x) usability for sure.

Bass improvement for the M5 and the A6 I think too.

I hate the new M5 click sound when rotating the upper disk, far far too loud .... I initially thought I had an electrical problem with the device.

Don’t know what the M3 got, but no regression so far which is already a good thing.

Edit: Core was updated too

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

stampfki
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 138
Bronze Member

Stan:

It's always worth asking...  maybe they say no, maybe they take pity... 

Support wants to come back to me - not sure if this will ever happen. Anyhow, could solve the issue. I have used the BeoTool App to change the M5 serial manually from 0000000 to the right one as mentioned on the device. And guess what, it immediately appeared again in the B&O app as new device.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

My Essence MK2 and the M3 both updated today.

Did not have the chance to do any testing....yet.

MM

HAWK
Not Ranked
Posts 67
Bronze Member
HAWK replied on Mon, Mar 1 2021 6:48 PM

Millemissen:

My Essence MK2 and the M3 both updated today.

Did not have the chance to do any testing....yet.

MM

My Essence MK2 also got a fw update (to v1.25.42740.xxxxx), but GC still the same version. And after reboot directly the GC authentication error again :(

Reboot again.........played one song using GC, but then again the same error and disappeared from Google Home app / group. 

Don't know what they improved in this version, but certainly not the GC functionality. We are waiting for a GC upgrade (from v1.28 to v1.44 or higher). 

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Mon, Mar 1 2021 7:04 PM

I updated my M3 and Essences with a new release today.  For now, they show up in Google Home, not that I had any problems with the M3.  Hopefully, they will stay all with it now.  Still having issues with my BS2 (first gen).

TenaciousC
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member

Can confirm the same behaviour, received the update for my M5's couple of days ago. the issue with Chromecast is still there...
What a fail B&O, I'm having multiple expensive but worthless pieces of sh*t M5's now thanks to your absolute failure to support the basic functionalities.

I guess it's time to kick out the B&O shi*te and replace them by a real premium brand like B&W

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Fri, Mar 5 2021 5:40 PM

Interesting.  I don't have an M5, but my Essences have been more stable since the most recent update.  My M3 has always been stable.

If you go to B&W good luck, and I hope it works out.  Personally, I think chromecast is just unstable in general.  Up until my B&O devices started flaking out over the last few months, my Google chromecast audio was, by far, my least reliable chromecast device (so unreliable that my wife has given up even trying to use it).  Granted, it only cost $40, but if Google can't even get their own devices to work reliably, what chance do 3rd parties have? 

alvinhctan
Not Ranked
Posts 8
Bronze Member

A6, A9MkII, Edge, Core all still not working with chromecast, hopefully it will be back soon as my multi room is not functioning. 

Page 4 of 5 (199 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS