Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Car Talk

rated by 0 users
This post has 304 Replies | 4 Followers

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Does anyone drives a SKODA FABIA?

If so how have you found it? Is it reliable?
Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Thu, Dec 22 2016 5:54 PM

enjoying the humour of Jacob Munkhammar 

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Dec 22 2016 7:00 PM

Hi Michael,

The Skoda Fabia, Seat Ibiza, VW Polo and Audi A1 (european names) are the same car, made the same way with the same quality requirements.

The one with the most recent parts (newly designed), the highest "luxurious" level is the Polo (and the A1).

The differences are defined by the brand's representatives, and mainly on perceived things (perceived by the customer), like settings of engine or suspension, and of course aesthetics.

So basically, yes, the Fabia is a reliable car, but of course it depends mainly on the engine.

Have a look at some car's magasines for the four models...

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Thanks CB

My friend and I went and test drove one and it was a bit of a goer - she actually ordered one and it arrives soon.

She was worried that it was a little boring looking but we also test drove the Fiat 500 (shitbox) - you could hear the brakes clamping from INSIDE the car ("the call is coming from within. The. House" haha). She was also wanting to look at the Suzuki Baleno.

Can't wait for it to arrive soon, should be around Australia Day weekend. I'm keen to have a drive again (if she will let me) :-)

I have sat in the A1 before and thought it was pretty comfy. The dealer also had a bright green S3 which was done in the same special green they do the Lamborghini in - i didn't ask how much that paint job was , im sure it would have been about 10k . I really LOVED that car. I'm not a shy person so having that green would suit me.

When i was at the Audi dealer (not with my friend) I also took a look at the A4 and its not a bad car - i think the wagon and the all road were knock outs.
CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 10:44 AM
My previous car was a Skoda Yeti 1.2 tsi and now I have a VW Polo 1.2 tsi (I moved downtown...).

Great little engine and reliable cars.
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

I love a bit of DownTown 

"Downtown, things'll be great when you're
Downtown, no finer place for sure,
Downtown, everything's waiting for you"

I had a Polo after a VB Commodore which many Aussies will know.  I rocked up in someones driveway once and they never knew what car I drove (VB) and she (who is mad as a cut snake) goes "HE-MAN machine" - I don't think it was a compliment .  I took the VB over from my dad who bought it to go on job sites

The Polo was a good car and then at 60,000 km the clutch went which I thought was unreliable lol, and it had to have its cam belt replaced.  So after spending a mint to fix it I sold it.  But it was the first car I bought with my own money, and decided at that point on I would only go with a chain driven car and not a cam belt - they were too expensive to fix. 

But I will always remember when I received the letter that I paid that car off after 2.5 years woohoo and when I picked up 22 square metres of tiles in it and the bloke at the tile shop goes Oh thats not good.  They fit in the car, I just didn't think id be braking in it on the way home from Dandenong to Glen Waverley :-). Thank god it was a manual.  And it always felt 2 sizes bigger :-) 

The Yeti is an undervalued gem in my opinion.  

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 11:41 AM

Just ordered a replacement for our Alfa red Giulietta.

It's a Giulietta Speciale with the classic "five-hole" 18" alloys. The current one has been great and although I know it's not the best in class in some respects but I love the way it looks and drives. 

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Nice one Simon.

I was discussing with someone about what they look for in a car.  They said "soul, the car has to have soul" 

And this is why there are so many makes - we choose what is right for us and how it makes us feel (generally). 

For me its the interior and how I live with the car and interact.  

Those 5 holes are so iconic. I love them. 

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Fri, Dec 23 2016 11:14 PM

Aussie Michael:
For me its the interior and how I live with the car and interact.  

This is the most important point!

And of course, that's where the choices or possibilities of personalization are less ...

If you are not comfortable, if ergonomics is scamped, you will not want to use your car.

If the trim and finish or the perceived quality are bad, you will not like it either.

But... You enter the garage generaly because of the exterior style... 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 9:30 AM
Aussie Michael:

For me its the interior

Yup.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Duels:

Yup.

I love that Coral Red! So special.
Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 11:30 AM

I always owned Volvo wagon types. Great reliable cars who brought me safe at my destination and a lot of room. Although not really known by public but they are speedy also, looking back at my old 2004 V70R type.

Now, after my retirement I was not in need of another big car anymore and Volvo's catalog did not mentioned any small cars.

So (for the first time) I bought a Japanese rice cracker: a Toyota Yaris Hybrid.

Why a Hybrid? Because its environmental more friendly and government taxes on driving and owning this type of car are very low in here.

Only down side; Hybrids (in general) don't accelerate quite as fast as typical gasoline-powered cars, and I needed some time to get used to this.

After driven around for a year now, I find it a very enjoyable car and my next one will be again a Hybrid powered one.

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 12:29 PM

Our neighbour opposite has a Tesla five door thing and as it's not a hybrid he's learned the reality of on-street parking with an electric car. He gets range anxiety and a cable across the pavement to his letterbox which he has to protect from becoming a pedestrian trip hazard. I'm certainly thinking a hybrid would be a good second car. I keep looking for an Aston Cygnet, or the base car the IQ.

Beo Century ,Beoplay V1, Beocenter 6, Ex-Beolit 12, Beotime , A8. Beolit 15 , Form 2i , Beolab 2000, Beoplay A3.Beosound 1

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
Posts 47
Bronze Member
simon8201 replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 1:55 PM

My new car on the production line earlier this week!

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 2:45 PM

The last cars made by... carpenters!

Yes - thumbs up

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 3:13 PM

Morgan?

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 3:50 PM

I love Morgans. I would dearly love having a Morgan 3 wheeler as a sunny day car. Eccentric to the max.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 5:07 PM

I could see a B&O collaboration with Morgan for lamellar wood on the speakers in exchange for some anodised aluminium on the cars!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Sat, Dec 24 2016 5:48 PM

Mmmmm, Morgan 3-wheeler. That would be lovely on these crisp California sunny days.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Chris I snorted out my coffee when I read "Japanese Rice Cracker". A lot of people have and swear by the Yaris.  I didn't know they made a Hybrid, well they don't sell the Hybrid here in Oz. 

Simonbeo,  a few years ago I had a plug in electric iMiev which felt more top heavy than a swimwear model.  But there is an official term for those who own electric cars who can't charge them in their own garages "Garage Orphan". I was a garage orphan and the trial that I was involved in, I was unable to have the charge box installed in my garage because my garage is separate from the house and I didn't have enough power going in to my house from the street and would have cost $10k to install it.  A week after the trial ended, I received a letter from the power company - we are upgrading the power supply to your house and doubled the power going in!  D'OH!   I also thought that the reason you choose a Tesla is because you won't suffer range anxiety.  My iMiev did about 100km on a charge which meant I could go to and from work 2 days and I tried it and it was ok.  

Simon8201 - what a great photo.  It's not every day you can see the body and the chassis being made and its yours.  Such a special moment.  I can see you driving and a beoplay A2 just sitting on the passenger seat like its a magazine shot.  Can't wait to see what colour you are getting.

CB very spot on!  

Jeff you better have your big driving goggles on! :-). 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Tue, Dec 27 2016 8:57 AM
simon8201:

My new car on the production line earlier this week!

Wow Simon

How long have you been waiting for your order?
simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
Posts 47
Bronze Member
simon8201 replied on Tue, Dec 27 2016 1:20 PM

Well the truthful answer is I've been waiting nearly 48 years! To be more exact I placed the order in April after having been with a group of friends on a factory tour. It was inevitable as the atmosphere at the factory is infectious! Just going back to the factory and being able to wander around at will and to chat to the people making your car is almost worth the price of purchase! I'm hoping to go back in January just after it's been painted (red) and while it's in the trim shop.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Dec 27 2016 8:33 PM

Lovely car, though the ride is 'interesting'! Having a car specifically made for you and your requirements is rather special. I do hope it turns out to be just what you have always wanted.

Peter

simon8201
Not Ranked
Devon
Posts 47
Bronze Member
simon8201 replied on Wed, Dec 28 2016 11:52 PM

Thanks Peter, I'm sure it will be. It's my third Morgan so I am aware of their 'foibles'! It's the first one I've been lucky enough to buy new and am thoroughly looking forward to the end of January when it should be ready. Ride comfort isn't too bad considering the age of the design, and the whole Morgan 'thing' has always appealed to me!

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jan 14 2017 10:30 PM

Plan A has been hatched, I can plug in

and obtain free electricity in many locations around London, congestion charge is gratis, I receive reduced parking permit rates and pay no annual road tax.

Plan B to be hatched, it seems my climate control robs about 5 miles range from the cars battery so tomorrow I will be buying thermal underwear to push the range (not sure what I'll do in the summer!).

Plan C with the money I save I can buy more B&O.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jan 14 2017 10:40 PM

Must be nice to have other taxpayers pay for your fuel and other fees. How the other taxpayers feel I can imagine.

But take advantage of it while you can.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Sat, Jan 14 2017 10:51 PM
Jeff, London exceeded its years pollution level total within the 1st week of January so we need to offer a carrot to ignite the catalyst of new thinking.

I'll also be propping up the thermal underwear industry as a by product .....

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jan 15 2017 3:37 AM
Mark:

(not sure what I'll do in the summer!).

Google has many suggestions for you

Type naked VW and press enter

Surprise

BeoNut since '75

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Feb 8 2017 1:15 PM

53 years ago this month NASA discussed openly the need for Lunar Surface Vehicles, to celebrate you can find the "owners" operational handbook here  

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Sun, May 21 2017 10:43 PM
2 things I love. B&O and BMW...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

2 things I love Mercedes and B&O haha :-p

Your BMW looks great Kiran

Hey, does anyone have any experience with magno "matte" paint on their cars?  

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, May 22 2017 4:20 PM

Aussie Michael:
Hey, does anyone have any experience with magno "matte" paint on their cars?  

I have a very much well-heeled coworker who has matte paint on a lust-worthy SLS AMG (I can only dream of such a thing)... He said if he had to do it over, he would NOT have gotten the paint because scratches are very easy to see and terrible to fix -- in terms of cost and the labor involved. It is stunning to look at - no doubt -- but he has more negatives to say about it than good.

From previous conversations, he would have opted for having the car wrapped matte.

Simonbeo
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,451
Bronze Member
Simonbeo replied on Mon, May 22 2017 6:45 PM

I was tempted to get my Alfa in the matte grey option but was advised against it. A wrap sometimes uncovers predelivery repairs by taking the paint off so that didn't seem good either! I did see a rather interesting warm grey matte 6series GranCoupe yesterday which I'd only ever seen at Geneva show. Nice.

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Wed, May 24 2017 10:06 AM
Summer Bentley...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
More like summer time love

Thanks for the help Sal and Simon.

It's a hard choice.

I don't want to get something like permagard and or a matte protection film either. But it looks so prettyyyyyyyy Big Smile
ed7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 106
Bronze Member
ed7 replied on Sun, May 28 2017 9:56 PM

Aussie Michael:

2 things I love Mercedes and B&O haha :-p

Wise choice the Best or nothing Big Smile

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Mon, Jul 17 2017 2:58 PM

My new Volvo after driving different Volkswagen cars for 20 years. One of the last XC60 MY2017.

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jul 18 2017 11:50 AM
BeoIce:

My new Volvo after driving different Volkswagen cars for 20 years. One of the last XC60 MY2017.

Enjoy !!

We got ours in 2015.

I hope you ordered the superior HiFi.

We bought ours off the lot so only have a standard audio system.

Pleased with the safety features.

Still prefer our 2002 V70 from a ride comfort perspective !!

BeoNut since '75

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Jul 18 2017 11:54 AM

Funny you should post that, as I think the XC60 is a fantastic car.  I've been in a few new and nearly-new ones, front and back, and I can say it rides like a Mercedes S-Class!!

Great cars. Unassuming (i.e. not 'flashy'), good looking, built beautifully, and ultra-reliable. What more could you ask for?!

Lee

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Tue, Jul 18 2017 12:45 PM

Thanks Ed and Lee,

of course I ordered the harman/kardon premium sound package plus the additional subwoofer in the back. After fine tuning the sound settings it's worth the price you pay for it. The preconfigured sound settings are horrible.

I didn't order extra safety features, only the standard ones included in the summum package.

With the 20" rims I have you definitly have a decrease in riding comfort, but I like it a little more sporty anyway.

I also have the sport leather seats which are a dream to sit on. You can really compare them to the mercedes seats in s-class models. I know what you are talking about. My parents got a s-class some years ago and I remember the comfort of the seats as it were yesterday.

I'm really satisfied with the car. The only thing I'm not satisfied with is that you can't place 1 litre bottles in the door. They won't fit.

What I like the most is the back of the car. This nice design with rounded backlights.

I ordered the 2.0 litre 190 hp diesel engine with 8 gear automatic transmission.

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

Page 6 of 8 (305 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS