Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Car Talk

rated by 0 users
This post has 304 Replies | 4 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jul 18 2017 1:52 PM
BeoIce:

The only thing I'm not satisfied with is that you can't place 1 litre bottles in the door. They won't fit.

And also ... we miss the dashboard drink holders that the V70 has.

And best of all has been the semi-automising safety features that (a) slammed on breaks when some one cut across in front of us and (b) told me to take a break with a cup of coffee when in a long drive I drifted across into the other lane !

BeoNut since '75

BeoIce
Top 150 Contributor
Recklinghausen, Germany
Posts 751
Bronze Member
BeoIce replied on Tue, Jul 18 2017 2:21 PM

City Safety which slams on the brakes if an obstacle is detected when driving at low speed is included as standard on the 2017 models as I remember correctly.

The dashboard drink holders are now integrated in the space between the front seats, but I use these holders for a package of chewing gum and the garage door remote. If you place 0,5 litre bottles there it is very uncomfortable to place your arm on the rest.

Another thing that comes to my mind which is not optimal is the cover of the trunk. It's not so easy to fiddle around with it to get it in place. Other manufacturers use rails right and left to hold it in place.

BeoSound 9000 MK3, BeoLab 8000, BeoLab 6000, BeoLab 3500, LCS9000, BeoLab 11, BeoLab 7.2, BeoLab 7.1, Beolab 4 PC, BeoCenter 2300, BeoSound Century, BeoSound 8, Beosound 2, BeoVision 7-40 MK2 , BeoVision 7-32 MK3, BeoVision 6-22, BeoVision 4-42, BeoMedia 1, BeoCom 4, BeoLink 1000, BeoLink 5, BeoLink 4 & BeoTime

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
So I didn't go with the matte paint designo magno white

I went with the iridium silver instead

This is my first silver car with night edition and happy with it so far

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Does anyone drive a 718 Boxster ? I’d be pleased to receive your thoughts on this model.

Thanks in advance.

I did buy a little 2 series as a second car a few months ago but I miss having a roadster (SLK 350)

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Let me try this again lol.

Does anyone have or driven a 718 Boxster ?

I bought a little 2 series after selling my SLK as a second car. I regret selling my SLK and I prefer a roadster over a cabriolet.

Thanks

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 11:44 AM

rather liking this cabinet, any guesses on where the doors are from ?

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 12:27 PM

Mark:

Easy, you don't need two horses……. one will do

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Hi Aussie Michael,

Sorry, just spotted your question.  Yes, I would say that the 718 Boxster is possibly the finest "real World" drivers car out there (as long as you can manage with 2 seats!).  It is certainly on my wish list after a couple of test drives, although realistically I will be making do with a much earlier Boxster for the foreseeable future.......

The power is instant at any road speed and engine speed, the PDK and manual gearbox options are both faultless.  Brakes are jaw-droppingly effective and on a good dry road, the cornering grip and balance seems to defy the laws of physics at times......did I mention that I like it? Big Smile

Two boots make it far more practical than alternatives like the Jaguar F Type, you get almost as much boot space as in a small hatchback.

Oh, and the other plus point of buying a Porsche - look after it and in two decades time it will still be looking and driving almost like new Cool

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 1:44 PM

Steve at Sounds Heavenly:
Oh, and the other plus point of buying a Porsche - look after it and in two decades time it will still be looking and driving almost like new Cool

Correct, but you have to take into account that if your Porsche has been serviced by Porsche authorized garages, you’ll have in fact invested as much money in it as in a brand new Porsche in two decades! :-D

Steve at Sounds Heavenly
Top 50 Contributor
The cable workshop, Leics, UK
Posts 2,165
Gold Member

Good point mbee!

I always do my own servicing, but admittedly that is much easier on older Porsches - I would be reluctant to start working on a newer car until well after the warranty had run out.......

Kind regards, Steve.

Steve.

www.soundsheavenly.com

Founder of Sounds Heavenly Cables and Brand Ambassador for Bang & Olufsen

Sounds Heavenly are proud to sponsor BeoWorld!

Please check out my YouTube channel at https://youtube.com/soundsheavenlycables

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 2:29 PM

I drove a Cayman S for 10 years, so not quite the same but similar enough.

I loved it, but i like driving go cart type cars rather than fast saloons.

The 718 Boxster is of course now a turbo - i'm no petrol head, but there are plenty who don't like the dull noise the turbo makes. Especially when the noise of the Porsche engine was a good part of its charm. 

I test drove a turbo 911 (not the 911 Turbo - they're all turbos now) when they were introduced in early 2016. The drive is absolutely fine, the lack of the distinctive noise i can see is an issue for some.  

I went for a normally aspirated 911 GTS instead, and needless to say its an amazing machine - the noise when starting, or when blipping down through teh gears is awesome.

I doubt you'd be unhappy with the 718 Boxster though - noise aside, which is a bit subjective, Porsche make pretty fantastic cars. And the 718's are pretty quick.

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

Nothing more than the leftovers of a 1965 Volvo 1800S which turned out to be most likely used by the man who put Volvo on our minds in the '60s. It was the late Harry Motor. Sadly I did not yet make the connection that it was his company car but there is evidence enough on that.

Anyway the car got lost due to a move in December 2015 during the rebuild and I had lost contact and was unaware of it so years later I found the guy but he can't recall anything at all.

So there it stands on that.

Still I am into old Volvo's and plan on a Volvo1800E 1972 and 164 when the money permits.

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Kromer replied on Mon, Aug 6 2018 7:44 PM
Mark:

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

That’s very cool! From a car that was produced for 42 years. Citroën made great cars back then. With a very keen eye for design and comfort.
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Thank you Steve Sandy and Mbee

I think the servicing for the Porsche here was sort of ok. High but in line with others.

I haven’t paid for a service for about 10 years as I’ve always had corporate package (free servicing) with BM and Merc.

But Porsche doesn’t do corporate here as they sell about 4,000 cars annually where Merc sells 40,000.

I did buy a little 2 series as a second car. I shouldn’t have sold my R172 SLK 350 - a fabulous naturally aspirated V6 engine.

The 2 cabrio is a fine little car but I think I prefer roadster.

I did test drive an i3S the other day. What a great car. It was blisteringly quick. The interior is a marvel and the view inside out is really good.
mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Aug 7 2018 1:00 PM

Considering roadsters, I think that the best value for money is Mazda Miata (or MX5), any generation : it gives a lot of pleasure on the normal roads.

And I have to confess I'm also a fan of the i3 (s), I'm thinking of buying one second hand if I need a car before the Tesla Model 3 is available in France...

mbee
Top 75 Contributor
Paris, France
Posts 1,842
Bronze Member
mbee replied on Tue, Aug 7 2018 1:00 PM

Considering roadsters, I think that the best value for money is Mazda Miata (or MX5), any generation : it gives a lot of pleasure on the normal roads.

And I have to confess I'm also a fan of the i3 (s), I'm thinking of buying one second hand if I need a car before the Tesla Model 3 is available in France...

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Wed, Aug 8 2018 2:33 PM
How have I missed this thread?! If there is anything I am into more than B&O it is cars and auto racing. Looks like many of you guys have some excellent taste in automobiles! After having a many fun cars from a 1956 Chevrolet to a Porsche 911, my current collection includes a 2005 Audi A8L as my daily driver, a 1986 Porsche 951, 1984 Volvo 242 Turbo coupe, 1984 Porsche 944 race car, and my true baby, a 2010 Audi S4 ex-World Challenge GTS race car. The S4 actually had B&O audio when it was new, but sadly it all had to be ripped out during the race car build...

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

This is my current interest and for sale in Denmark. US import Volvo 1800E 1972 but a weber caburator and automatic gear shift. It's been repainted and touched up. Condition is very nice for its age.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Anders Jørgensen:

This is my current interest and for sale in Denmark. US import Volvo 1800E 1972 but a weber caburator and automatic gear shift. It's been repainted and touched up. Condition is very nice for its age.

Computer Shop UK Your PC Needs In One Place | ComputerShopUK.com

Looks amazing !

BeoNut since '75

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Fri, Aug 10 2018 3:45 PM
If you need a sticker...

Kromer
Top 500 Contributor
Randers, Denmark
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Kromer replied on Fri, Aug 10 2018 7:33 PM

Tucker:
How have I missed this thread?! If there is anything I am into more than B&O it is cars and auto racing. Looks like many of you guys have some excellent taste in automobiles! After having a many fun cars from a 1956 Chevrolet to a Porsche 911, my current collection includes a 2005 Audi A8L as my daily driver, a 1986 Porsche 951, 1984 Volvo 242 Turbo coupe, 1984 Porsche 944 race car, and my true baby, a 2010 Audi S4 ex-World Challenge GTS race car. The S4 actually had B&O audio when it was new, but sadly it all had to be ripped out during the race car build...

That's an impressive collection Yes - thumbs up can we see the Volvo please? You don't see them very often, it must be quite collectible?

I personally don't like Audi's (or most German cars) but I have tons of respect for your passion and the race car is awesome.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
mbee:

diisign.com

I don’t think I’ve driven an MX5 before. I think it is a real considered design. And nice and small 👍🏻
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Tucker:

Beosound 9000 MK II, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beogram 1800, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000, Beolab 4000, Beovision 8-32, Beovision 4-65, Beoplay S3, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8.

Great collection.

I can tell you’re into cars by your profile pic Cool
Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
CB:

If you need a sticker...

That’s me !
Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 4:56 PM
Tucker:
2010 Audi S4 ex-World Challenge GTS race car.

Let me express my most sincere jealousy! There is nothing like climbing into a car and having to slide the steering wheel (who doesn't love a nice quick release?!) back on after putting your 5/6 point harness together Cool

The only thing that is missing is a picture of the engine! Devil

My favorite racing series are the Pirelli World Challenge and [when I can find it streaming/on tv] the Conti Challenge. They really have the best racing around these days.

Beo4 'til I die!

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 5:31 PM
Kromer:

That's an impressive collection can we see the Volvo please? You don't see them very often, it must be quite collectible?

I personally don't like Audi's (or most German cars) but I have tons of respect for your passion and the race car is awesome.

The Volvo is kind of a “Rat Rod”. The outside is completely unrestored, but the motor has been completely gone through with a bigger turbo and intercooler, and a locker differential for some fun drifting. Also has upgraded sport seats and a momo wheel. It’s one of the most fun cars I have ever driven.

And Evan, you may recognize where this photo was taken... 🏁🏎

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 5:36 PM
Evan:

Let me express my most sincere jealousy! There is nothing like climbing into a car and having to slide the steering wheel (who doesn't love a nice quick release?!) back on after putting your 5/6 point harness together

The only thing that is missing is a picture of the engine!

My favorite racing series are the Pirelli World Challenge and [when I can find it streaming/on tv] the Conti Challenge. They really have the best racing around these days. Beo4 'til I die!

Evan,

This car did both Conti Challenge and Pirelli World Challenge. I worked on her since day one when she still had the kicking B&O system and we were doing beer runs to Kroger. The team retired the car after a few seasons and I bought the car as a bare chassis and literally 2 trailer loads of parts. Took me over a year to put her all back together, but now she runs and drive last again! Here is the obligatory engine pic, complete with carbon fiber hood.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 5:36 PM
Tucker:
and a locker differential for some fun drifting.

My little 1.2 TSI VW Polo has one too.

Great fun indeed on small mountain roads Smile
Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 5:43 PM
Tucker:

The Volvo is kind of a “Rat Rod”. The outside is completely unrestored, but the motor has been completely gone through with a bigger turbo and intercooler, and a locker differential for some fun drifting. Also has upgraded sport seats and a momo wheel. It’s one of the most fun cars I have ever driven.

And Evan, you may recognize where this photo was taken... 🏁🏎

Beosound 9000 MK II, Beosound 2300, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beogram 1800, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000, Beolab 4000, Beovision 8-32, Beovision 4-65, Beoplay S3, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8.

That little Riley racecar doodle is unmistakeable! Wink

Beo4 'til I die!

Anders Jørgensen
Top 200 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 350
Bronze Member

Now that is not a bad looking Volvo! Cool

Evan
Top 50 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,621
Gold Member
Evan replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 5:55 PM
Tucker:

Evan,

This car did both Conti Challenge and Pirelli World Challenge. I worked on her since day one when she still had the kicking B&O system and we were doing beer runs to Kroger. The team retired the car after a few seasons and I bought the car as a bare chassis and literally 2 trailer loads of parts. Took me over a year to put her all back together, but now she runs and drive last again! Here is the obligatory engine pic, complete with carbon fiber hood.

That is an awesome project! Must have been a lot of fun doing the build. I'm even more jealous that you were able to build it. To top it all off it (and you) have some cool history.

I have been getting the itch to build something lately. Every now and then I find myself looking up roll cages for 155s dreaming of an Alfa 155 DTM 'homage' build Cool

Beo4 'til I die!

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Tue, Aug 14 2018 6:21 PM

If you have the means, I say do it!   A 155 DTM replica would be incredible!!   I have always wanted to get a mid 1980's Quattro Coupe to make an S1 tribute car.  Or maybe even an Audi 90 IMSA GTO Tribute....  The sound of a turbo 5 cylinder is pure bliss to me. 

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wjiM-yIdYic  

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 9:38 AM
Been following this thread for a long time...

Here’s mine...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 10:24 AM
Kiran:

You can’t beat the red leather on a BMW

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 12:34 PM
Kiran:

Here’s mine...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Oh dear Kiran !

More grist for the mill of your cyberstalking friends !!

Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 12:35 PM
PS nice plate

I’m glad the homage is to BeoMasters rather than BM(W)

Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 1:44 PM
And the daily...

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 1:49 PM
elephant:

PS nice plate

I’m glad the homage is to BeoMasters rather than BM(W)

lol 🤣

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 2:16 PM

Are you on first name terms with the local Traffic Police Kiran?  Big Smile

For those outside the UK, the font and spacing on those plates is about as legal as punching a traffic warden (although some would argue that should indeed be made legal..)

The new 7-Series is a lovely car. The local BMW dealer lent me one for a long weekend hoping I'd lease one. It even had Freeview in the rear!!

Lee

Kiran
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 1,023
Gold Member
Kiran replied on Fri, Aug 17 2018 5:00 PM
9 LEE:

For those outside the UK, the font and spacing on those plates is about as legal as punching a traffic warden (although some would argue that should indeed be made legal..)

The new 7-Series is a lovely car. The local BMW dealer lent me one for a long weekend hoping I'd lease one. It even had Freeview in the rear!!

Lee

Yes it’s illegal. So is the Zed...

I take my chances... 2 and half years so far with that plate and no problems at all...

Screens in the rear... tablet to control the car... 4 wheel drive... 4 wheel steering...

It is a nice fully loaded bad boy 👍🏻💯

Regards

Kiran

Born in NL; I ride ML

Page 7 of 8 (305 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS