Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
This post has 422 Replies | 11 Followers

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:46 AM

New about BeoLab 50 - Pull here.

Frank_Andresen
Not Ranked
Posts 1
Bronze Member

I dont know if this is the design brief or the design concept from the designers. But now you know why Beolab 50 looks the way it does.

John
Top 500 Contributor
Australia
Posts 321
Bronze Member
John replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 11:46 AM

Well Geoffs youtube videos aren't locked as 'private' anymore, and the speaker is up on B&Os official website, along with a couple of marketing videos.

I'm sorry to have to swim against the tide, but from the photos and measurements, I REALLY like the design aesthetically.

There are echoes of both modern and traditional B&O design elements that make it a timeless design in a modern home in my view.

To be sure, less iconic and 'futuristic' as the Beolab 5 - but I know from friends comments that as many people disliked the look of the Beoloab 5 and wouldn't give them house space as did  like them - especially if they had more traditional furniture.

Whereas, I could see this speaker fitting elegantly and simply into a much greater variety of furnishing and architectural styles.

And at just over a metre tall, it is not likely to be unduly attention seeking and dominating in a room either.

If i were ever in a position to move up from my Beolab 9's which I adore, this would be the speaker.

And as for the technical achievements - simply an engineering and acoustic tour de force and nothing less.

Cheers

John..  :-)

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

StKong:
You can trust our friends in Manchester to be first with a video on the Beolab 50.

5 views so far. Enjoy!

https://youtu.be/Imnx5uoTEvA

Interesting video, thanks for taking the time to put together. I am not keen on the look of the 50s but the acoustic lens movement is very impressive and well thought out, especially the opening/closing movement to adjust field etc. I'll have a listen next time I am in a B&O store although that'll only be if the Eclipse is worth seeing on release. Good luck with these B&O. Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

John:

There are echoes of both modern and traditional B&O design elements that make it a timeless design in a modern home in my view.

To be sure, less iconic and 'futuristic' as the Beolab 5 - but I know from friends comments that as many people disliked the look of the Beoloab 5 and wouldn't give them house space as did  like them - especially if they had more traditional furniture.

Whereas, I could see this speaker fitting elegantly and simply into a much greater variety of furnishing and architectural styles.

And at just over a metre tall, it is not likely to be unduly attention seeking and dominating in a room either.

I think these are very valid points John and agree with what you write. Of course the difficulty with designing something is that we are all drawn to different things, so there's never going to be one solution that pleases everybody. I loved the design of the 5s because aesthetically, they broke so many traditional boundaries, which really appealed to me in a non-conformist manner. However, as you mention, I too knew others who really didn't like them at all and wanted something far more traditional looking. I guess some people like change, some don't and both views are equally valid. Perhaps in this sense then the 50s might have a broader appeal? Let's see what develops and wish B&O the very best of course.

The sound, I have no doubt, is going to be very impressive. I have never questioned anything audio wise from B&O and always found all of their speaker offerings nothing but a treat sound wise. Visually though, I do feel they are still slightly too big for the average household. I think this is where 9s found a perfect fit dimension, if you will, in that they were noticeable and striking but without being too overbearing. Of course much depends on house and room size but I feel the market here is a 4+ bedroom family home. Again, let's see how the market goes.

For me personally, I would have liked to have seen a departure from wooden lamellas and aluminium, the latter of which is very signature B&O I know; but I was hoping for something a bit different, a new design statement altogether (like the 5s were) rather than a mix of what we already know from the existing product range. The posted photo of the BL2 + BL18 is very apt I think. B&O always used to surprise me, which was the excitement in the run up to a new product release. However, in recent years you can pretty much predict what they are going to design as nothing is really that different looking. I note from the other video link (thanks, a great watch) that the covers are interchangeable and they are currently developing new coloured aluminium stripped covers to be released at a later date, so that's definitely a good thing and might make them a bit more hip looking going forward.

Certainly hope these find a market though and as stated in my earlier post, I really do like the B&O magic around the lens area - absolutely fantastic; a great selling point that is at least one more way of making them stand out from the crowd.

Simon.

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 12:49 PM

That's an interesting evolution.  I think the lamellas on the BL50 and BL18s match and complement each other very well.  50s front and 18s rear would look rather nice.

I wonder if we will ever see a BL18 mkII with a motorised acoustic lens.  Now that would be pretty cool.

markiedee
Top 200 Contributor
UK
Posts 425
Bronze Member

A little info on the beolab 50 from whathifi.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bo-launches-its-latest-high-end-active-speaker

Beoplay A2

tph
Top 500 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 161
Bronze Member
tph replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 2:37 PM

markiedee:

A little info on the beolab 50 from whathifi.

https://www.whathifi.com/news/bo-launches-its-latest-high-end-active-speaker

They seem to get many details wrong. They claim the acoustic lens rises from the top "as on the BeoLab 20" (which it does not do on the 20), that it has three amplifiers (actually has seven) and has built-in support for Deezer and TuneIn (which it does not, being a BeoLab).

— Tuomas | Bang & Olufsen | Bang & Olufsen Create

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member

BeoLab 50 has to lift the legacy after the iconic BeoLab 5.

Yes - thumbs up

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Geoff Martin BL50 posts now online here:

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 6:40 PM
Millemissen:

Geoff Martin BL50 posts now online here:

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

So they are working on aluminium lamellas as well as other woods for the BL50.
jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 7:04 PM

How do they get from 26k Euro, 23k£ to 40k$ giving that british and euro price include 20% tax

they are really doing their best to kill the brand over here

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 7:49 PM

jk1002:

How do they get from 26k Euro, 23k£ to 40k$ giving that british and euro price include 20% tax

they are really doing their best to kill the brand over here

I saw the price as $30,000 also.  However it was $40,000 on the Verge. $30,000 is still a little high considering there is no VAT in the US.  It also looks like there are no North American dealers that have Beolab 50.  It does seem to appear that B&O is killing the brand in the US.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 8:36 PM
Strange that there are no US stores listed. The first time I looked at the page there were many B and O stores listed in the US as having them. The list seems to have changed.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 8:43 PM
My dealer in the US will have them next month.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 8:48 PM

linder:
I saw the price as $30,000 also.  However it was $40,000 on the Verge. $30,000 is still a little high considering there is no VAT in the US.  It also looks like there are no North American dealers that have Beolab 50.  It does seem to appear that B&O is killing the brand in the US.

Wasn't the price set at a bit above  the price of a pair of BL5's? Setting them at $30,000/pair seems a bit low from all previous indicators. I think the previous going thought was that they'd be priced halfway between a pair of BL90s and a pair of BL5's.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

I sold my first pair today - less than £23k but hey ho!

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 8:55 PM

SHEFFIELD:

Now I'm really curious about the price of a pair in the US. Am I so jaded with B&O that the price point seems like a downright bargain? LOL

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

I've seen Beolab 50s today in Munich. Great looking speakers. For me one of the best speaker designs B&O have come up with. Haven't heard them yet though.

Greetings,

Kai

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:33 PM

SHEFFIELD:

BOOOOM!!!!  Good man Big Smile

Did you take anything in part exchange?  Nudge.. Nudge... Person

Lee

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

Fortunately for me no p/ex - I'll let you know if I get anything tasty Lee😀

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:51 PM

SHEFFIELD:

Do we know him, is he a Red or a Blue?

Ban boring signatures!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:53 PM

Puncher:

Do we know him, is he a Red or a Blue?

I'd be bright red after hammering my credit card for £23k. Then my wife would turn blue. Does that count?

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:56 PM

9 LEE:
I'd be bright red after hammering my..............

Hmmm! 

Ban boring signatures!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 9:59 PM

SHEFFIELD:

Fortunately for me no p/ex - I'll let you know if I get anything tasty Lee😀

Nothing better than a straight sale. I'm genuinely delighted for you Smile

These really are fabulous speakers.  I know this may sound nonsense - but they really are worth £23k.  The pleasure I could get from a pair of these, if I had the right setting for them, would be immense.  

Please, everyone, and I mean this - don't judge anything until you've seen them, and properly listened to them.  Once you've done this, and if you comment negatively afterwards, I will properly respect your opinion.

Lee

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:01 PM

Puncher:

9 LEE:
I'd be bright red after hammering my..............

Hmmm! 

Pounch. Go to your room, immediately, and think about what you've just said.

Once you're ready to apologise to me, your Mum and Dad, and everyone else - you can come downstairs and watch telly.

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:09 PM

Sal:

SHEFFIELD:

Now I'm really curious about the price of a pair in the US. Am I so jaded with B&O that the price point seems like a downright bargain? LOL

£23k is about $30k USD.  I have never seen the British price lower than the US price at least by that much.  

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:11 PM

That may be because the UK pound is about as valuable as Donald Trump's pocket fluff...

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:30 PM
SHEFFIELD:

I must pop down and have a look/listen.
andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
Posts 223
Bronze Member
andy_js replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:31 PM
They are beginning to grow on me. Has anyone mentioned the likeness to Minions?
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Wed, Aug 9 2017 10:37 PM

andy_js:
They are beginning to grow on me. Has anyone mentioned the likeness to Minions?

That's a different thread Big Smile

Lee

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Heard (and saw) them the second time today - just as impressive as last week ;-)

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member
Beofile7 replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 5:10 AM

I had a demo yesterday afternoon. Aesthetically they are truly beautiful, to my eyes at least. There is an aire of real quality and weight to them. Bigger and more imposing than the photos suggest. Then came he audition. 5 seconds. That is all it took. They demolish Beolab 5's! Huge tight bass and a very impressive sound stage. Imaging was also very impressive. Mid detail in a different league. It was noticeable to me that they didn't sound like B&O. They have that richness and warmness usually missing from most B&O speakers. I have to say for the first time ever, I found speakers that really blew me away. And that includes the 90's which did not! I came home to my 5's and was bitterly disappointed. 

So now I have a problem. I've fallen in love with this girl and just have to have her! She may be an expensive *** but when you are in love you don't care.

She will haunt me now til I have her!

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 10:36 AM

Morning Julian, had them on display for over a week and been itching to shout about them.  Call in and have a look and listen, with your acute ear I just know you will be mightly impressed...🙂

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 11:02 AM

That's a great analogy... when I first saw them in Denmark in May it was love at first sight - I immediately forgot about the other products I had seen they very so impressive. Never heard a speaker that can go down to 15Hz before - the whole store shakes. I love sound that you can physically feel

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 2:53 PM

WOW. Just WOW.

Saw and listened to the BL 50s at Sheffield B&O this morning. They sound absolutely incredible. I'm lost for words (well almost). Such clarity and precision I'm struggling to think how much you could improve with the BL90s. I got a minute into my first demo song and wanted a pair. They are bigger than I imagined but look amazing. Fabulous design that oozes quality and craftsmanship. The moving lens is a very nice touch and really does impact the sound when moving from wide to narrow mode.

If I had £23k to spend (or a little bit less according to Nick) I'd order a pair now. Right now.

Pictured below with an avant 75:

Up close

Inside

From the side

The lens

And again

Steve_torque
Top 500 Contributor
Dorset, UK
Posts 145
Bronze Member
I can only echo what Duels experienced. I heard them in the Bournemouth dealer this afternoon. Incredible. The build quality is fantastic.

Picture with 50's and a 14-55

Tucker
Top 200 Contributor
Ponte Vedra Beach, FL, USA
Posts 439
Gold Member
Tucker replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 7:18 PM

Duels:

WOW. Just WOW.

Saw and listened to the BL 50s at Sheffield B&O this morning. They sound absolutely incredible. I'm lost for words (well almost). Such clarity and precision I'm struggling to think how much you could improve with the BL90s. I got a minute into my first demo song and wanted a pair. They are bigger than I imagined but look amazing. Fabulous design that oozes quality and craftsmanship. The moving lens is a very nice touch and really does impact the sound when moving from wide to narrow mode.

If I had £23k to spend (or a little bit less according to Nick) I'd order a pair now. Right now.

Duels, Thank you for that!!! 

Looks incredible!  I just wish I could hear them, who know when there will be a pair near me...  Crying

Beosound 9000 MK III, Beosound Century, Beogram 5005, Beolab 8000, Beolab 5000,  Beolab 4000, Beolab 5, Beovision 8, Beovision 10, Beovision 5, Beoplay A2, Beoplay E8, Beoplay H6.

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Silver Member
Sl3ipner replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 9:48 PM

Had a 45 minutes demo of the Beolab today. No doubt more versatile and digitally advanced than the Beolab 5 - but not by that large margin that some have suggested. Especially really impressive  in Narrow Mode. Unfortunatly I wasnt able to choose the music, so a bit unsure about a few details. As for Wide Mode, I found it sub par compaired to the Beolab 5, quite clearly so. I will give the Beolab 50s some slack though, as they were less ideally placed in a allmost not acustically treated room. ARC will only bring you that far, no matter what a few members here seems to advocate.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Excited for the day I get to listen to them but disappointed that every time I see them, I can't bit help think they should really be laser etched on top with the word BRABANTIA.

http://www.cleanup.co.uk/Images/Brabantia%20touch%20bin%20%20brilliant%20338229.jpg

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Page 5 of 11 (423 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS