Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
This post has 422 Replies | 11 Followers

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
Posts 49
Bronze Member
davieav Posted: Thu, Jul 20 2017 8:39 AM

anyone else spot the diagram on peter pans messaging pages ? Smile

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Yes, here is where it came from - thanks to kuyttendaele, who spottet that on his tv:

http://archivedforum2.beoworld.org/forums/t/25133.aspx?PageIndex=1

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Thu, Jul 20 2017 6:50 PM

I bid farewell to my final display pair of BeoLab 5 yesterday as they shipped to Guernsey - the new replacement is stunning in my opinion. Visually, Iove them - the times we sent Lab 5s out on home dem, and couldn't get them past the lady of the house, due to their 'appearance' , I firmly believe it won't be the case with the new speakers!

Sound quality, whilst always subjective, I think they are considerably better than Lab 5s, not far off Lab 90... can't wait to get the in the shop!

I don't think I have given anything away here, so hopefully won't get my knuckles rapped by big brother ๐Ÿ˜ฎ

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
Posts 49
Bronze Member
davieav replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 7:05 AM

ahh ! thank you millemissen  Smile

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 11:33 AM

I still don't think people have spotted the diagram...

KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:34 PM
9 LEE:

I still don't think people have spotted the diagram...

Ah, more of the design given away BeoVision's speaker selection. Indeed, the line drawing in the dealer invitation earlier this year was BeoLab 50 as seen from the top.

Interesting design โ€“ and a motorized acoustic lens on top would add a little B&O magic Smile

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:35 PM
KMA:

Ah, more of the design given away BeoVision's speaker selection. Indeed, the line drawing in the dealer invitation earlier this year was BeoLab 50 as seen from the top.

Interesting design โ€“ and a motorized acoustic lens on top would add a little B&O magic

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

Looks like a fat 18Big Smile
KMA
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 621
Bronze Member
KMA replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 12:41 PM
So,

BeoLab 90 โ€“ the new masterpiece...

...trickles, in part, down to BeoLab 50.

Then, if BeoLab 50 is effectively the replacement for BeoLab 5, will we have BeoLab 3 succeeded by BeoLab 30 โ€“ yet a smaller version of the same concept?

That would make sense, since both BeoLab 5 and BeoLab 3 are phased out.

Smile

KMA

B&O product history since 1991: Ridiculously long to list in a signature.

BeoGreg
Top 75 Contributor
South of France
Posts 1,417
Bronze Member
BeoGreg replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 1:31 PM

ps57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
ps57 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 2:44 PM

Hi all BeoWorld nerds - being new to Beoworld blogs I dare to give my thoughts on BL50. A speaker that might cause me to spent the money!

I am very impressed by the sound quality of BL90, especially image location and the low frequency ability without resonances. Huge improvements to BL5 based on the technologies "Beam Direction Control" (in full frequency range) and "Active Room Compensation". Looking into Geoff Martins blogs regarding technical background material is a pleasure for me. And all is summarised in the BL90 Technical Sound Guide (B&O homepage) also prepared be Geoff.

Now to my thoughts on BL50 looking at the new sketch posted by BeoGreg and Peter Pan together with the invitation posted by Lee in an earlier blog,
I believe it is an almost triangle speaker looking from above with sub and midrange speakers in three directions giving a total of 6 speakers + acoustic lens. With that configuration B&O can implement narrow and wide Beam Directional Control in low and mid frequency range. 
The acoustic lens on BL5 is almost equal to wide mode on BL 90. So, wide mode would be easily implemented on BL50.
However, narrow mode is essential regarding phantom image location as Geoff calls it, and how to implement narrow mode in BL50 with an acoustic lens? Some fancy mechanical solution perhaps?

Some comments Lee?

-ps           

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

ps57:

Hi all BeoWorld nerds - being new to Beoworld blogs I dare to give my thoughts on BL50. A speaker that might cause me to spent the money!

I am very impressed by the sound quality of BL90, especially image location and the low frequency ability without resonances. Huge improvements to BL5 based on the technologies "Beam Direction Control" (in full frequency range) and "Active Room Compensation". Looking into Geoff Martins blogs regarding technical background material is a pleasure for me. And all is summarised in the BL90 Technical Sound Guide (B&O homepage) also prepared be Geoff.

Now to my thoughts on BL50 looking at the new sketch posted by BeoGreg and Peter Pan together with the invitation posted by Lee in an earlier blog,
I believe it is an almost triangle speaker looking from above with sub and midrange speakers in three directions giving a total of 6 speakers + acoustic lens. With that configuration B&O can implement narrow and wide Beam Directional Control in low and mid frequency range. 
The acoustic lens on BL5 is almost equal to wide mode on BL 90. So, wide mode would be easily implemented on BL50.
However, narrow mode is essential regarding phantom image location as Geoff calls it, and how to implement narrow mode in BL50 with an acoustic lens? Some fancy mechanical solution perhaps?

As mentioned on another thread. My speculative guess is that the BL50 is a 3.5-way loudspeaker array. Treble, Mid and Bass array in the main cabinet, standard monkey-coffin configuration. Pop-up acoustic lens - adds some B&O "magic" and is a cost-effective mechanism for wide/Omni dispersion.

The internal Mid/Bass are single array to save cost and there's a fine box of tricks with a plug-in microphone (a la 90) which can make the single Mid/Bass array perform to a reasonable extent in any room. I would envisage that this arrangement is not a dynamic as the BL90 - that has 3 times as much gear on-board than any other active loudspeaker to do the tricks it can.

I'm sure it will sound good regardless as the technology in DSP is SOTA and generations ahead of the BL5's they replace.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 4:34 PM

ps57:

Some comments Lee?

-ps           

One comment. Yes.

"I signed an NDA..."

Unsure

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
How does an acoustic lens produce narrow mode???

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

The question is, what do they want to achieve with this speaker?

I am sure that it is not just a 'smaller BL90'.

It would have been easy (too easy, I'd say) just to scale down the BL90.

They want it to be something different, I am sure.

But we won't have to wait long anyway - it is rumoured that 'some' dealers (in DK, at least) will have them on display already end next week. 

We'll see if that rumour is right??? 

Otherweise it is not long untill IFA2017.

By then we will learn about the 'philosophy' behind the BL50.

Those in knowing will give exact the same answer as 9 LEE, of course.

P.S. The acoustic lens is per definition supposed to give a wider dispersion - for one man AND his friends/family.

I don't think there is much to change there.

As for some 'fancy mechanical solution', I am not sure that is possible, because the Acoustic Lens Technology is licensed.

Highly interesting - sure there will be some magical math involved ;-)

MM

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
"Involve" me is all I ask. Don't care how you get there.

But one thing is definitely true: The BL5s 15" woofer will be hard to beat on video
ps57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
ps57 replied on Fri, Jul 21 2017 9:21 PM

Yes, of course LEE. And of course we will have to wait, but it is kind of fun just to guess.

If you have a look at Geoff Martin presenting BL90 in this video - Top three features, live - I believe it is obvious that beam width control is essential to obtain the very good image location that BL90 handles. (Maybe LEE participated in the presentation by Geoff?)
Beam width control is really what is the differentiator for B&O in the high end market. Active room compensation is also important, but several other companies masters this technology.

If you look at another of Geoff Martins postings that explains beam with control (in lower frequencies) in detail, it requires at least 3 speakers in 3 directions! I would expect this to being part of BL50.

Normal 0 21 false false false DA JA X-NONE

-ps

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Jul 22 2017 12:10 PM

Well, if you wanted to 'narrow' an acoustic lens, which is a physical object, and you needed to be able to do this whilst the speaker is switched on, what would be the best way of doing it?

It's a pretty simple concept - almost like when you're shouting at someone in the distance and want your voice to carry straight froward. What do you do with your hands?  

Lee

hadr
Top 500 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 92
Bronze Member
hadr replied on Sat, Jul 22 2017 12:22 PM
9 LEE:

Well, if you wanted to 'narrow' an acoustic lens, which is a physical object, and you needed to be able to do this whilst the speaker is switched on, what would be the best way of doing it?

It's a pretty simple concept - almost like when you're shouting at someone in the distance and want your voice to carry straight froward. What do you do with your hands?

Lee

See what you did there Wink There's your "unexpected" element! (which makes sense)

Genuinely looking forward to the announcement and "ears on" Big Smile
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

@9 LEE

exactly what I proposed, when that question was asked in the danish Peter Pan thread.

However, I am not sure, that tweaking the Acoustic Lens mecanically that way is allowed due to licencing of the technology behind the lens.

But, you never know, what the guys in Struer are able to - that is, you do know in this case ;-)

MM

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member
To see sharper I squint my eyes. I loose a bit of field of sight, but who cares for those sitting off sweet spot? A two part enclosure on the back of the acoustic lens moving a little bit around covering the front a little bit (and distorting the sound? -> bad idea).

Peter the biker

ps57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
ps57 replied on Sun, Jul 23 2017 12:00 PM

Good analogy thereSmile - with the hands narrowing the sound. Hope such kind of acoustic lens is implemented in BL50, it would be technical and visual superb. And only needing one speaker to implement narrow beam.

Regarding the importance om beam width control in lower frequencies I posted some figures from Geoff Martins blog B&O tech #48 on Peter Pans blog. Here the massiv improvement between BL 5 and BL90 can be seen. The control of the beam in low frequencies can only be obtained by speakers directed away from the front. So that is why - in my guessing - there are three speaker in a triangle in bas frequencies and in mid range. 

My earlier postings regarding beam width and BL90 vs BL5 can be seen here: Peter Pans blog side s37  

-ps

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 23 2017 1:35 PM
Rotating acoustic lens

Like the searchlights of two lighthouses ?

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

elephant:
Rotating acoustic lens

Like the searchlights of two lighthouses ?

That would be 'Beam Direction', not 'Beam Width'.

MM

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts 768
Bronze Member
Fansastic replied on Mon, Jul 24 2017 9:39 AM
sneak preview by B&O them self in new software update:

BV Harmony 65 / Eclipse 55 / BL 50 / 19 / 18 / BS 2 all brass

BV Horizon 48 / V1 40 / BL 17 / Beoplay S3 all black

V1 / BL 3 / BS Essence MKII / Beoplay A3 all white

BS Moment / BS 3000 / BS 3200 / BL 400 all silver

Headphones / bluetooth speakers / BLC NL-ML / BLGateway

I know…B&O virus has grown on me ! 

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Mon, Jul 24 2017 8:25 PM

I receive my first pair of the new speakers next Tuesday... not sure I'm allowed to say that though - no doubt get another rebuke for mentioning it by the social media police at B&O...๐Ÿ˜ฎ

Michael
Not Ranked
Denmark
Posts 67
Bronze Member
Michael replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 10:52 AM

Nice, and if I'm lucky I'll see and hear them tomorrow- that's very interesting Big Smile

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Jul 25 2017 12:59 PM
Millemissen:

That would be 'Beam Direction', not 'Beam Width'.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

I'd prefer direction over width !

BeoNut since '75

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
I'd prefer a bit of extra length and width Laughing

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
Seriously, any more news???

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

seethroughyou:
I'd prefer a bit of extra length and width Laughing

My wife keeps telling me the same.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

seethroughyou:
Seriously, any more news???

No - I guess you'll have to wait untill end of week 32....

....unless you know where to look ;-)

MM

rfrichg
Not Ranked
Posts 36
Bronze Member
rfrichg replied on Fri, Jul 28 2017 9:35 AM

Someone shared a picture on Facebook in a Danish Bang & Olufsen Group. Have the speakers been shippedd to dealers so it's possible to see there?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Jul 28 2017 9:54 AM
rfrichg:

Someone shared a picture on Facebook in a Danish Bang & Olufsen Group. Have the speakers been shippedd to dealers so it's possible to see there?

My local dealer posted on here that he will be getting his first pair next Tuesday.
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No responsible dealer will show them before week 32!

MM

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member
Peter Pan replied on Sat, Jul 29 2017 11:00 AM

Beolab 50 -
New is that the acoustic lens is adjustable, so the treble
Can be changed, what more earlier has also suggested.

The Art Of Impossible "ar design of Bang & Olufsen.

Yes yes we'll see. Yes - thumbs up

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 3:00 PM
Just looked at the BL50s...

They where not connected so I could not listen.

They sure look like a pair of premium speakers.

Lots of beautiful aluminum trims. The wood looks super.

Standing alongside BL5s, the BL5s looked a bit tiny Smile

Can't wait to listen to them Stick out tongue

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 3:08 PM

Hiort:

They where not connected so I could not listen.

They sure look like a pair of premium speakers.

Lots of beautiful aluminum trims. The wood looks super.

Standing alongside BL5s, the BL5s looked a bit tiny Smile

Pictures or it didn't happen! (kidding!). 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 3:28 PM

Hiort:

You'll love them. They're amazing.

I know it sounds crazy, but you'll think £25,000 is actually very fair value for money.

I'm very much looking forward to the reviews on here from BeoWorld Members who've had a listen. Smile

Lee

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 3:59 PM
leogoeswild:

There you go Smile

I did not dare to take photos in case they would give away the dealer.

Without something to compare with it's hard to judge their size. As I said, the BL5s look "light" alongside those boys Stick out tongue

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Mon, Jul 31 2017 4:28 PM

The speakers look stunning! Thanks for posting! (Edit: I'm glad I got to see the pics before they were understandably taken down).

I'm assuming that's an 85" Avant based on the comments that they make the BL5's look small in comparison. These babies are quite substantial. I'm eager to read their specs, and of course, the magic of that acoustic lens.

From what I can surmise, it looks like the side flares of the lens can retract in and out to potentially make a narrow or wide aperture for sound dispersion. Intriguing!

Page 1 of 11 (423 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last ยป | RSS