Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
This post has 422 Replies | 11 Followers

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 9:22 AM

olvisab:
If I got the money I would probably by them with pleasure.

And therein lies the problem!

Most hifi bods willing to blow this much on a pair of speakers are historically against anything B&O and so to convince them to buy £20K+ speakers with pop-up acoustic lens etc. will be an uphill battle. It would be a crying shame, given their alleged performance, if the majority of owners ended up being clients of OK magazine.

Ban boring signatures!

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 10:29 AM

it would be easier if every beolab 5 owners were ready to sell their speaker for buying the beolab 50.

the beolab 5 are so iconic and are still excellent speakers.

I am personnally glad to see there is now in the bang olufsen portfolio something I can desire and would improve significantly my set up (without having my wife on my back)

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 10:33 AM

Millemissen:

So, when does your NDA end?

This is a very decent point - if dealers are showing to customers (who are taking photos), the NDA must be up soon!

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Beyond the initial unveiling, where it's understandable that the B&O marketing department will want the full focus to be on presenting the Beolab 50s of and by themselves, I think it would be useful for dealers to keep pair of new or used Beolab 5s on demo display NEXT TO the new BL 50s for owners of BL5s to compare...both for music and video.

If they are what they are say they are, this, IMHO, would be a great way to 'sell' 5 owners on the 50s.

Since we're not putting 50s in people's homes and calibrating/setting them up for demos, this is the next best thing.

B
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I sincerely hope that the dealers are studying these videos as much as we are.

Setting these up - especially concerning the Room Compensation function - will be crucial for demoing the BL50's in a shop environment.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

vlohjr1
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 553
Bronze Member
vlohjr1 replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 12:18 PM
Looks like the videos have goneSad
BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 12:21 PM

I tried to look at the videos too, they no longer available. 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 12:30 PM

The person responsible has now been beaten to death with a rolled herring....  still in the jar.

Great video though. I reckon Geoff should at least get a 'BeoGrammy'.

Lee

Big Smile

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 1:58 PM

9 LEE:

The person responsible has now been beaten to death with a rolled herring....  still in the jar.

Great video though. I reckon Geoff should at least get a 'BeoGrammy'.

Lee

Big Smile

Now, make them chop down the largest tree in the forest....with a herring! Ni!

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
http://forum.recordere.dk/topic4389&OB=DESC.html

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Silver Member

Thats true.

B&O should be active in the "High End HiFi Review Compartment", giving recognized HiFi media the possibility to do in depth tests. The B&O sales places are too few and far between. Positive reviews by trusted journalists generate sales.

I bought my Beolab 5s because of recommandations of people I trusted. Trawling the net brought next to nothing - with a few noticable exeptions (like Peter Aczel) . I still have the feeling that B&O let the BL5 down, neglecting the (relativly) huge HiFi marked. That Geoff Martin havnt got a piece on his blog dedicated to the BL5 says it all.

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 7:44 PM

Chris Townsend:
http://forum.recordere.dk/topic4389&OB=DESC.html

Don't know what to make of them at all. Completely indifferent. Part of me thinks they look like a design circa 1984, the other part quite likes them. Not really sure I'd need BL50s in my living room though. Slight overkill!

Is that a BV12-65 they are using in the video - strange choice to use a discontinued TV. The speakers make the 65" TV look small.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 8:00 PM

moxxey:
Is that a BV12-65 they are using in the video - strange choice to use a discontinued TV. The speakers make the 65" TV look small.

I thought the same thing... those speakers are ginormous! They do have a dimunituve presence than the BL90s, of course, but still, even if they're 1/2 the size of the BL90s, they're huge. I'd love to see a photo, or scale drawings of the higher end BL offerings: BL20, BL5, BL50, BL90 in one shot.

Here's an image I found on the internet of a 12-65 with a pair of BL5's for a size comparison.

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 8:23 PM
Sal:

Here's an image I found on the internet of a 12-65 with a pair of BL5's for a size comparison .

Just as an aside why on earth would there be a BL2 in that set up?
seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
moxxey:

Is that a BV12-65 they are using in the video - strange choice to use a discontinued TV.

Just goes to show that even B&O don't think it worth the expense of upgrading their TVs as often as some us do...

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

seethroughyou
Top 100 Contributor
UK
Posts 999
Bronze Member
The design of these still isn't doing anything for me sadly. Reminds me of a bottle cooler. Hope they're better in the flesh.

Present: BL90, Core, BL6000, CD7000, Beogram 7000, Essence Remote.

Past: BL1, BL2, BL8000, BS9000, BL5, BC2, BS5, BV5, BV4-50, Beosystem 3, BL3, DVD1, Beoremote 4, Moment.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

In real life the BL50 are big, but they blend very much into the surroundings - unlike the BL5, that always have stood out....kind of wanting to be noticed.

You could say, that they are a bit dull - however the moving lenses gives them the magic touch, that many B&O product have.

I am pretty sure that a lot of people will like this 'understatement' - others will prefer the way that the BL5 draws attention to itself.

As for the sound - they are pretty amazing, period!

As any good loudspeaker, they reveal the quality of the recording, you listen to. A well recorded drum track (real drums, nothing synthisized) simply made me feel like the drummer was playing in front of me. Something that I haven't experienced in the same way from the BL5's.

Yes - as I wrote in a previous thread - some dealers have these already displayed in the store/ready for listening ;-)  ---  well aware, that they aren't officially launched yet ;-(

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

seethroughyou:
moxxey:

Is that a BV12-65 they are using in the video - strange choice to use a discontinued TV.

Just goes to show that even B&O don't think it worth the expense of upgrading their TVs as often as some us do...

No, it is because of the fact, that the same Audio Engine is working in every BV based on the BSys4 platform.

There is no need for any upgrade of the picture/display side, when connecting the new speakers.

MM

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 10:34 PM
Millemissen:

In real life the BL50 are big

As for the sound - they are pretty amazing, period!

As any good loudspeaker, they reveal the quality of the recording, you listen to. A well recorded drum track (real drums, nothing synthisized) simply made me feel like the drummer was playing in front of me. Something that I haven't experienced in the same way from the BL5's.

Shall we understand that you already saw/heard them "in flesh" MM ?
Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

CB:

Shall we understand that you already saw/heard them "in flesh" MM ?

Yes, indeed!

MM

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
moxxey:

Don't know what to make of them at all. Completely indifferent. Part of me thinks they look like a design circa 1984, the other part quite likes them. Not really sure I'd need BL50s in my living room though. Slight overkill!

I think they'll grow on me.

Unfortunately David Lewis and his designs are now becoming aged classics, and I say this watching a 7-55 with Beolab 5s. It will take a few years to adjust to the new B&O designs, that don't have that familiar form factor that we have grown akin to over the last decade, but that's life.

The sweetest thing would be for the audiophile to swallow their prejudices, and admit they are brilliant, which I'm sure they areYes - thumbs up

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Aug 3 2017 11:42 PM

I think their wow factor must be sheer performance, I can't believe anyone is going to rave about the design, yes the lens moves but really, after all this time, after they have moved in cars for several years (and I know it widens and narrows, but other than showing off to visitors how really useful is this in a day to day existence)? Other than that the styling is pretty awful.

Ban boring signatures!

Barry Santini
Top 150 Contributor
New York
Posts 543
Bronze Member
Do not agree at all with the negatives on the design.

They are beautiful!
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 12:08 AM

Barry Santini:
Do not agree at all with the negatives on the design.

They are beautiful!

Would they be as beautiful if they were $200?

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 12:12 AM

Puncher:

I think their wow factor must be sheer performance, I can't believe anyone is going to rave about the design, yes the lens moves but really, after all this time, after they have moved in cars for several years (and I know it widens and narrows, but other than showing off to visitors how really useful is this in a day to day existence)? Other than that the styling is pretty awful.

I tend to agree with you, and since there are no dealers within maybe a thousand miles of me I'm not likely to see them in person to see if I have a different opinion. One thing that has characterized the new B&O speaker designs to me is either somewhat or definitely improved or at least different audio performance coupled with significantly lower aesthetics. I can't think of a single speaker now that I like the looks of as well or better than its predecessor, sadly.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 172
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 1:24 AM

Jeff:

I can't think of a single speaker now that I like the looks of as well or better than its predecessor, sadly.

Same.

I was going to refrain from getting into this until their official unveiling however, seeing as it is a done deal with official video and so on - well it is real.

Pretty much as I would have thought of the 'new' b&o, uninspired design coupled with being very costly. Seems they've let too much of the audio engineering and not much though into the design and overall product portfolio. Does b&o have a real music system? Nope just the Moment.

As an aside, its biggest selling point I guess over the BL5 is the improved ARC. However still I don't understand why for me as attempting to correct for standing waves and reflections using notice filters and negative phase is a futile effort. Move out of 'position' and all that effort didn't actually solve the original issue. Acoustics are best solved directly with acoustic treatment. Wall reflections at higher freq are not possible to 'solve' using any method at the source. Better to spend 1k$ on acoustic panels than 25k$ on speakers.

Anyway I always liked b&o because they didn't offer the usual big boxes, now it seems they are! It is quite the achievement to create a speaker that has striking design along with decent performance. Granted something like BL8000 are real compromise in terms of performance though, that didn't stop them from popularity due probably to the design. BL5 was a true masterpiece in that they managed to cram four drivers (and a 15" woofer at that) all in a minimum of enclosure - that didn't look like everyone else.

Zero interest sorry.No - thumbs down

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Silver Member

davidr wrote:

As an aside, its biggest selling point I guess over the BL5 is the improved ARC. However still I don't understand why for me as attempting to correct for standing waves and reflections using notice filters and negative phase is a futile effort. Move out of 'position' and all that effort didn't actually solve the original issue. Acoustics are best solved directly with acoustic treatment. Wall reflections at higher freq are not possible to 'solve' using any method at the source. Better to spend 1k$ on acoustic panels than 25k$ on speakers.

Exactly. BL50 is no doubt a far more advanced active speaker than the BL5, but if you cant get HighEnd quality sound from the the BL5s you should have a look at 1) source 2) your listening room 3) your ears. 

As for the looks to each his own. Id take BL5 anytime. 

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 7:06 AM

I think I have a problem with the mix of black fabric with the wood. I would have preferred to have the wooden lamellas to each sides.

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:00 AM

davidr:

Anyway I always liked b&o because they didn't offer the usual big boxes, now it seems they are! It is quite the achievement to create a speaker that has striking design along with decent performance. Granted something like BL8000 are real compromise in terms of performance though, that didn't stop them from popularity due probably to the design. BL5 was a true masterpiece in that they managed to cram four drivers (and a 15" woofer at that) all in a minimum of enclosure - that didn't look like everyone else.

Zero interest sorry.No - thumbs down

I think that eventual "striking design" opportunities was hampered by the fact that the way they wanted this speaker to work (like the BL90). The number of speakers and the way they had to angle in relation to each other was fixed I guess.

However, I have seen them in the flesh and they look very luxurious with the aluminium trims. The wood lamellas add a nice touch in my mind, and "soften" the appearance. But they are really big boys compared to BL5s.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

BenSA
Top 75 Contributor
Durban, South Africa
Posts 1,404
Bronze Member
BenSA replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 8:23 AM

I think they are quite nice, definitely different to anything else out there plus I'm sure they sound impressive which is quite important!! I think they will do very well. Thumbs up from me!

Sl3ipner
Not Ranked
Posts 33
Silver Member

davidr:

^^ This ^^ 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Chris Townsend:

The sweetest thing would be for the audiophile to swallow their prejudices, and admit they are brilliant, which I'm sure they areYes - thumbs up

Not that they are all 'audiophiles' there, but the 'news' has already made its way to the Steve Hoffmann forum

http://forums.stevehoffman.tv/threads/bang-olufsen-beolab-50.687893/

Of course the video is now locked there too.

Apart from the fact that the poster confuses 'Beam With Control' with 'Beam Direction Control' I see this as a sign that not only 'insiders' are aware of the skills of B&O. 

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

benoit:

I think I have a problem with the mix of black fabric with the wood. I would have preferred to have the wooden lamellas to each sides.

What if you could get the fabric in another/or more colour/s - for all three sides.

Or different woods - maybe on all three sides.

The bold ones amongst the owners might even combine different woods and or different fabrics on that speaker (not that I would!)

But how about having fabric at the rear sides and wood on the front ;-)

We'll see what (maybe) comes!

MM

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

You certainly don't need one!!

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member

As in a Lab 2....🙂

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 11:05 AM

You certainly won't need a Lab 2, unless it's to hold the door open or something...

Remember I said, right from the start, this isn't a speaker you'd expect - but in the flesh it's elegant, beautifully put together, and sounds incredible.

I think B&O are realising that females have a bigger input into speaker purchases than previously thought, too.  I've lost count of the amount of sales I've made of BL5's - only to have the purchase scuppered by "I'm not having THOSE in my lounge!!"

Make something which isn't too in-your-face, something that will look stylish yet clearly "B&O" in any surrounding and you're onto a winner!

You must listen to them, though..  even if you don't like how they look.

Lee

badgersurf
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 539
Gold Member

9 LEE:

You certainly won't need a Lab 2, unless it's to hold the door open or something...

Remember I said, right from the start, this isn't a speaker you'd expect - but in the flesh it's elegant, beautifully put together, and sounds incredible.

I think B&O are realising that females have a bigger input into speaker purchases than previously thought, too.  I've lost count of the amount of sales I've made of BL5's - only to have the purchase scuppered by "I'm not having THOSE in my lounge!!"

Make something which isn't too in-your-face, something that will look stylish yet clearly "B&O" in any surrounding and you're onto a winner!

You must listen to them, though..  even if you don't like how they look.

Lee

If you don't like the way they look why did you marry her?

Mr 10Percent
Top 150 Contributor
So West, Its Now East
Posts 591
Bronze Member

I think the form is rather nice.  

I would also hazard a guess from the videos that there appear to be approx. 4800w per unit of ICE by my estimate on the BL90 configuration.

Guess would be;

3 x 212mm Scan-Speak Woofer/SubWoof (1 fwd, 2 to side/rear),

5 x 86mm Mid-Range (3 Fwd, 2 to side/rear) and a

1 x 30mm Tweet (ALT).

Powerful stuff and probably exceptionally well-tuned.

The ARC is very subtle on the 90’s and the best way I can describe it is that rapid switching from Omni (no Omni I think in the BL50), to wide to narrow is a progressive increase in “clarity” of the musical tones as well as the spacial definition. I am sure that the BL50 does this similarly and despite what people may say, adding sound deadening panels to the room is not what B&O is about. If you want to do that, buy a £250 monkey-coffin and pretend it’s the same.

We will soon find out but ahead of the release I would say that B&O have:-

1. Released a more WAF-centric speaker over the 90’s.

2. Significant well-tuned power amplification and DSP (2500w/ch on BL5 with my estimate of 4800w/ch on the 50’s)

3. An innovative solution to improve speaker to listener sound quality with a finely crafted cabinet in well presented listening situation without the need to go all “audiofile” on the panels, cables and amps.

4. Bit of a concern on the serviceability of the fret, side panels and particularly rear panels. The fasteners on the BL90 floor panels is not the best, but the wooden triangles look infinitely stiffer than that of the BL50.

5. I’ve always had a concern about the volume of sales of a £15k BL5. Not sure what a £25k BL50 will do to the bottom line. Told there is virtually no margin on a BL90 so they aint going to replace BeoPlay as a source of most revenue.

Good luck I say – and that’s without really seeing the released product.

marexy
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 710
Bronze Member
marexy replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 12:23 PM

I agree with 9Lee

If the speakers are in common areas and if a woman says that she does not like them, there is 99% chance for deal to go wrong.

It's the same with cars!

Forgive my questions .. Why do you need 4500W power .. why .. hallo? If I compare BL3 and BL4000 the difference in watts is x times. and sound at BL3 isn't any better. If I compare BL 8000 and BL 8002 the difference is minimal. Personally, I find it unbearable to use so many amplifiers, and complicated electronics. Maybe they want to stand out and justify a high price.

Not to be mistaken .. I'm BEOfil!

The design is nice but not revolutionary.
Nothing special..sorry.
BL 8000 ..jap..special desind when came out to market.
Bl12.3  jep..nice ...but sound ..nothing special.

I will evaluate the sound of BL50 when I hear them and have to be perfect for this money.
iI's one middle clas car price!
If any of you know storry of LAMPIZATOR ...if not read it ..hi start with few € and beeing critical to big and expencive companies..
And now ..he sell items with alu box design ( DAC , amplifiers ..ect ) for 15.000 €..hellooo.
Okay, I just got out of the topic.
But if we compare these two products, the BL50 price is justified.

davidr
Top 500 Contributor
Montréal
Posts 172
Bronze Member
davidr replied on Fri, Aug 4 2017 6:41 PM

Mr 10Percent:
 and despite what people may say, adding sound deadening panels to the room is not what B&O is about. If you want to do that, buy a £250 monkey-coffin and pretend it’s the same.

I never said that.

Page 3 of 11 (423 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS