Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Beosound Emerge

rated by 0 users
This post has 163 Replies | 1 Follower

Top 150 Contributor
Posts 521
Bronze Member
1990 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 9:25 AM

Yeah, Alu/Walnut or Alu/Smoked Oak would be my dream combo. But maybe that's too classic a combination for the market nowadays.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

It is in the B&O website - just checked again.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

It is in the B&O webpage - just checked again.

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Csaba:

Weird, the Emerge was on the webpage, now removed. Must be a glitch. Or they realized that John o’Manchester had not uploaded his review yet.

My indeed harmless comments on that keeps getting blocked from admin....why?

It is there!

MM

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 9:36 AM
I like it a lot. And the price point seems very good to me.

It may well be the answer to my “what speaker do I want in the kitchen?” question.

My only thought on the latest speaker colours is that Gold Tone seems to be the only way to get the wood finish. Personally I like aluminium with the oak very much (as on my BL18s) and wonder if this will be possible in the future. Clearly colour preferences are very personal and I’m sure B&O have done their research but I’m a little surprised that Gold Tone is one of two standard launch colours.
moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 10:01 AM

Duels:
I like it a lot. And the price point seems very good to me.

Amazed it's not portable though? That threw me a little.

Fansastic
Top 150 Contributor
The Hague, The Netherlands
Posts 768
Bronze Member
Fansastic replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 10:03 AM
Looks very good indeed. Killer looks with the wooden panels.

My preference would be a brass / smoked oak but would buy the gold version instantly...if it had Network Link. Now it is unusable in my setup.

So predictable my comment but I do not understand why B&O is taking so long on this to develop. And as it is not mentioned in the specs, I simply do not trust them anymore for bringing NL to the latest products (3 now and soon BL28 to follow..).

Feeling sad that new B&O products are targeted for new customers without any products already in their setup.

BV Harmony 65 / Eclipse 55 / BL 50 / 19 / 18 / BS 2 all brass

BV Horizon 48 / V1 40 / BL 17 / Beoplay S3 all black

V1 / BL 3 / BS Essence MKII / Beoplay A3 all white

BS Moment / BS 3000 / BS 3200 / BL 400 all silver

Headphones / bluetooth speakers / BLC NL-ML / BLGateway

I know…B&O virus has grown on me ! 

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 10:11 AM

moxxey:

Amazed it's not portable though? That threw me a little.

Hadn’t spotted that.

i guess the M5 and M3 aren't portable and this seems to be aimed at their space. Probably all part of hitting the price point.

But you're right, I assumed it was.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Fansastic:
Looks very good indeed. Killer looks with the wooden panels.

My preference would be a brass / smoked oak but would buy the gold version instantly...if it had Network Link. Now it is unusable in my setup.

So predictable my comment but I do not understand why B&O is taking so long on this to develop. And as it is not mentioned in the specs, I simply do not trust them anymore for bringing NL to the latest products (3 now and soon BL28 to follow..).

Feeling sad that new B&O products are targeted for new customers without any products already in their setup.

Engadget was told that Beolink would arrive in Fall 2021,

So at least it is not forgotten, 

Link

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

My AR Emerge has a little brother:

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 12:08 PM
Millemissen:

My AR Emerge has a little brother:

Maybe it’s female. And the little one emerged from it.
Curly
Top 200 Contributor
FL, USA
Posts 366
Gold Member
Curly replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 2:03 PM

It looks like a cable modem or a wifi router. :)

(I’m surprised they managed to get a 4” woofer in there, however, so I hope it sounds good and as always, I hope it sells well!) For a smaller space as they suggest, however, I’d much prefer BS1. Though, yes, the cost is much more.

Currently: BeoLab 17, BeoLab 18, BeoSound Core, Beosound Level, Beosound A1 2nd Gen, BeoPlay S8 Connection Hub, Halo, Essence Remote

Previously: BeoSound 1 non-GVA

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 2:07 PM

Much better looking than the M3 and M5. Let's wait for the first reviews.I guess the sound will be good for the size. I would have liked to have more color combinations choices.

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

benoit:

Much better looking than the M3 and M5. Let's wait for the first reviews.I guess the sound will be good for the size. I would have liked to have more color combinations choices.

Agree,

There are already some reviews and they are positive.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 2:24 PM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Curly:

It looks like a cable modem or a wifi router. :)

Yes, in particular to a generation that don’t know how a book looks like ;-)

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 2:55 PM

benoit:

I can't understand that kind of comment: why is it "much better looking" and why are suddenly M3 and M5 looking not so good?

Because the emerge has an undefined shape that make it "not look like speaker"?, because it's an intriguing appliance that will certainly raise questions on fancy diners? or only because wood is a so forgotten material that now everything wooden is suddenly "so disruptive"?

I'm sorry, but there was a saying or maybe it is just a website catchline that said "form and function". Lets say I cant really appreciate the function part for whatever reasons, the form isn't there and it clearly not serve the function. B&O lately come with too much useless fancy tricks maybe to hide the lack of true and real novelty:

- Harmony is just a joke.
- Balance, by the name, make us believe that some B&O magic would happen around the feet, but its just a flower pot shaped speaker (even if a good one).
- Edge was… What was edge. Oh yes, you can adjust volume by tilting the speaker…
- Beolab 28 are "we tried to include a bass driver because nobody wanted to spend 3500€ more after 5000€ to have a bass punch, but we didnt manage to do it while keeping the slim, iconic, beautiful design of the 18's. We even didnt managed to keep the signature ALT, visible."
- Contour, was an attempt to update the very beautifully designed useless Beovision Horizon, but making it more desirable and reliable… Bof, it looks like an expensive fake Beovision Horizon.
- And so on…

Of course people may argue about the ecosystem: interaction, linking, integration… But what's really left from that? Networklink is dying at the best, dead actually. People who praise B&O is either an old (analog) stuff collector (I am), a sick man (I am), or someone who relies on an old Masterlink/NL system and frenetically browsing classified ads to keep is system future proof (I mean "in working condition").

Sorry, I'm drifting from my actual answer which was in short:
"Does a fridge look cool, because he looks like a washing machine, or is iconic design something else?"

(Sorry guys for raising my tone)

benoit
Top 150 Contributor
France
Posts 646
Bronze Member
benoit replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 3:53 PM

Matador43 : "Much better looking" was maybe not that appropriate or that much understandable but by telling this I mean that according to my taste I prefer a design that doesn't immediately reveals what it is and I like the use of wood that gives a more classy-natural-sensitive look to the device. I personally would not spend so much more for something that is not that much better if the design was not to my eyes much better. M3 and M5 to my taste just look like speakers that I could find in every shop and especially the M3 is just a plastic box with a small aluminium part. Maybe I attach too much importance to the fact that I like a different design but that's my opinion. If I can afford it, when I'm looking for something new, most of the time I try to find something different, less common, to bring a part of poetry or mystery, like a Methven Aio shower, an extra-flat hood that doesn't look like a hood, or an Ingo Maurer flame electronic candle, ... I really think that every object or furniture in my environment are a part of it and "interact" together to create a peaceful living harmony.

The Beonic Man
Top 150 Contributor
Bristol
Posts 812
Gold Member

LOL matador43 thanks for this great post! You made me smile a lot :)

Say it how it is!

Actually I do also agree with benoit that the Emerge is a more interesting shape and design over the M3/M5 speakers but that’s just to my eyes; of course we are all different. I love your description of the Balance being a flower pot!! That was good! The Harmony... well I do like it and if I can squeeze such a large TV into my small lounge I might get one, I am twiddling my fingers all the time over this one. The Edge... what is it? LOL again brilliant! I could go on but... Your humour is fabulous, thanks for making my day!

B&O products are V1-32, BS2, H95, E8 and an Essence remote.
11-46 now replaced with Sony A90J 65”, Sony HT-A9, Sony UBP-X800M2 and Sony SRS-NS7.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:24 PM

@ benoit.

Of course. Even if my post was a little "cavalier" it wasn't intend as a judgment.

It's just that nowadays design seems to have been replaced by "unexpected form": you take anything, you give it the shape of something else, you drawn it in any wording shenanigans and you declare it is iconic, like movies that are "cult" even before reaching the audience.

It's too easy and it sometimes cover a lack of novelty. Can you believe the last groundbreaking feature of the revolutionary (in his time) VW golf is… you can adjust volume by weaving your hand in the air ?

Now let's be honest: if the Emerge has some feature or use that is new, efficient, never seen or well engineered, ok, Why not: all tastes allowed.
If its just another speaker with a weird form factor (that wording must never have been go public), I cant see the point and rather and M3 or an M5 that looks like a speaker because they are speakers.

(wasn't there a movie or tv show or ad, where appliance were so designed that they did'nt look what they were and a guest was keeping confusing them?)

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:33 PM
matador43:
M3 or an M5 that looks like a speaker because they are speakers

The M5 is not a B&O cookie jar ?!?
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 4:35 PM

Hmmmm, that would explain a lot of things…

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

matador43:

@ benoit.

Of course. Even if my post was a little "cavalier" it wasn't intend as a judgment.

It's just that nowadays design seems to have been replaced by "unexpected form": you take anything, you give it the shape of something else, you drawn it in any wording shenanigans and you declare it is iconic, like movies that are "cult" even before reaching the audience.

It's too easy and it sometimes cover a lack of novelty. Can you believe the last groundbreaking feature of the revolutionary (in his time) VW golf is… you can adjust volume by weaving your hand in the air ?

Now let's be honest: if the Emerge has some feature or use that is new, efficient, never seen or well engineered, ok, Why not: all tastes allowed.
If its just another speaker with a weird form factor (that wording must never have been go public), I cant see the point and rather and M3 or an M5 that looks like a speaker because they are speakers.

(wasn't there a movie or tv show or ad, where appliance were so designed that they did'nt look what they were and a guest was keeping confusing them?)

If I wanted a speaker that looked like a speaker I would choose another brand...

I have the M3 in my bathroom, very good 200 euro speaker, but boring to look at, and it is just plastic.

matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 5:00 PM

Emil Jensen:
If I wanted a speaker that looked like a speaker I would choose another brand...

Don't say that to people who criticize B&O for being Style over Substance…
(200€ ? you're lucky!) 

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member
Beofile7 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 5:06 PM

I think it is now sad.....sad that a company such as B&O with all their inovation and history is now just reduced to knocking out Chinese built wireless solitary speakers endlessly!  Again and again and again. We all have these now surely? I have 3 that I don't use! 

Keep re-inventing the wheel........it's still a wheel.

When you look at a 30 year old Beocentre 9500 and compare with today don't you just shudder? I do.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 5:29 PM

The designs of the recent stuff has been decent enough for the most part.

But at the same time they all fall far short of anything with wow factor, and its hard to think any will be regarded as classic.

The last (that could conceivably make its way into MOMA) is the A9.

An argument could be made for the BS1 and BS2, but not a strong argument.

The rest (Edge, Shape, Level, Balance, Emerge, M series) range between not good (Balance)  to pretty nice (Level).

These single point wireless units (and I guess headphones too) are where a good chunk of sales are available I suppose - but I agree, while its good to have refreshed designs etc, its not the most inspiring set of releases.

The only thing in a newer / different product category was the Halo, and thats been a missed opportunity (its hardly sparked a lot of buzz even here has it?)

Onwards I guess...

Beofile7:

I think it is now sad.....sad that a company such as B&O with all their inovation and history is now just reduced to knocking out Chinese built wireless solitary speakers endlessly!  Again and again and again. We all have these now surely? I have 3 that I don't use! 

When you look at a 30 year old Beocentre 9500 and compare with today don't you just shudder? I do.

andy_js
Top 500 Contributor
Englandshire
Posts 223
Bronze Member
andy_js replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 5:44 PM

The Emerge looks pretty cool.  I might be interested in a pair if I can use them as speakers for my computer.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Beofile7:

When you’d take away what of the BC9500 is absolutely useless as of today, there would not be much left....to design.

The design of the BC9500 has had it’s time, because of the functions it covered (yes, covered) - a piece of aluminium and some touch controls behind a piece of glass isn’t much of a design after all, but it was different, different than anything else at that time, I must admit.

Some look back - others try to find a way forward.

Don’t expect me to agree with you.

MM

Esax
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 323
Bronze Member
Esax replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 5:58 PM
matador43:

Don't say that to people who criticize B&O for being Style over Substance… (200€ ? you're lucky!)

And still b&o lovers chooses style over sound.

Beovision 7-55 MK1 red, Beolab 10 red. Beolab 50, all black. Beolab 17 broken ice. Beolab transmitter. Apple tv4 and apple express 2.

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 223
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:05 PM

While reading about the new Emerge, my thoughts were as follows:

"Damn,... another mono speaker"

"Isn't that woofer firing directly into a solid panel? How would they have gotten that to sound good?"

"Looks good enough to me, the price is 'alright, and I'm sure it sounds great'"

Stick out tongue

Carolpa
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,700
Silver Member
Carolpa replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:20 PM

Millemissen:
The design of the BC9500 has had it’s time, because of the functions it covered (yes, covered) - a piece of aluminium and some touch controls behind a piece of glass isn’t much of a design after all, but it was different, different than anything else at that time, I must admit.

Don’t expect me to agree with you.

MM

But looking forward..... do you think "our successors" will discuss the Emerge/Level/Balance as icons in 30 years? 

The products breathe more "NOW" than "the NEXT" in design, concept and specs.

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:33 PM
Earle:

While reading about the new Emerge, my thoughts were as follows:

"Isn't that woofer firing directly into a solid panel? How would they have gotten that to sound good?"

"Looks good enough to me, the price is 'alright, and I'm sure it sounds great'"

Ready to work for Apple then...

Infinite loop Smile
matador43
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,373
Bronze Member
matador43 replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:33 PM

Millemissen:

You are absolutely right, and trust me it's my everyday curse to look back and want the thing to remains still.
But at the same time you can't say a BC9500 is useless today! Lot of people have them around for everyday use.
(and as a CC user you must know that). 

You may have noticed that they are "families" on the forum:

- those who use streaming, 
- those who use HD streaming,
- those who use physical support,
- those who use NL (and don't understand Airplay or CC),
- those who use Airplay or CC (and don't understand the benefit of NL).

There is something in my mind I have since BL28 announcement and something you said (you MM) about "how they can be use".

To me a speaker is a speaker, be it active or passive, you plug it and it works!
But when I read all this mess about - master, slave, digital in, software update, autotune room, etc etc… and all the incompatibilities that come along, I praise myself to have just BL4000 "Speakers". And the only wish I have abut BL28 is that they will lower the price of BL18 on second hand market  - my dream.

So, a speaker is a speaker and it can be connecte to any amp, any thing, any source as long as electrical requirement are ok, with maybe some bad results but it should work.

Nowadays, even buying an (expensive) speaker seems to be so difficult.

And no need to say that all the electronic inside a BL28 may just mean that B&O may one day decide your speaker is no more wanted and just brick it.

So Yes, I'm looking to the past, because the past is owned and unconnected. You should know if your remember my posts that I'm streaming to Apple Airport on different old analogs B&O devices: got the joy of them and the flexibility of streaming, independent from any their party platform who may or may not suspend his service one day or another. OK, its my way and its work for me. I can't see the benefit of NL and I know you're a lot around that dont understand I dont understand.

Anyway, what I wanted to say is: yes its good to look forward in a lot of matters, but when it comes for a reliable, comfortable, stable, independent way to enjoy music (between other things), I dont want a future involving a third party with other goals (See Sonos…)

Stan
Top 100 Contributor
Chicago-area USA
Posts 869
Bronze Member
Stan replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 6:53 PM

According to the US website, it's not expected until October 2021... maybe just in time for the NL support Surprise

I think this is decent effort (assuming it sounds good).  It is unlike any other speaker I've seen.  Besides, according to a review I read somewhere the "traffic cone" form factor is played out.  Everybody and their little brother has one (Apple, Bose, B&O, chinese knockoffs). 

The Level is a cutting board.  The Emerge is a wooden book.  Not everyone wants a speaker that says "Look at me!".  

Toward the larger question of "why another stand alone speaker", I regularly use an M3, BS1 and BS2.  I occasionally use a BS9000 + BS5 + BL1s + BL2 + BL3500, and an Essence + BL4.  I have a pair of BL4000s and BL8000s that I don't use.  I haven't sold them in case one of my kids wants them, but they're too "old fashion" right now.  Maybe in a few more years, there will be renewed interest from a retro perspective. They're also a bit of a hard sell in the US.  Not much brand awareness.  Expensive to ship.  The youngsters are not interested.

At this point, I think I'm covered speaker wise (I mean, I have 2 sets of very decent speakers that I'm not use Big Smile), but I could see this Emerge replacing the M3 at some point (assuming good reviews and NL support).  I'm not interested in the BL28.  Maybe B&O is investing where they should (assuming they're actually adding NL to the Mozart platform).

Also, I don't really use headphones, but I'm not whining about "why another headphone?".  If it sells, B&O should build it because I'd rather live in a world with quirky B&O speakers (even if I have no use for many of them) than without.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 7:18 PM

Millemissen:

..a piece of aluminium and some touch controls behind a piece of glass isn’t much of a design after all, ......

Absolute horsesh1t!!

It was staggering in its day and still draws admirers even now!

I struggle to think of anything in the current line-up of which you could say the same.

Ban boring signatures!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:15 PM
Puncher:

I struggle to think of anything in the current line-up of which you could say the same.

My BL18s get just as many admiring comments as my older stuff did including my BS9000.
Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:32 PM

Duels:
Puncher:

My BL18s get just as many admiring comments as my older stuff did including my BS9000.

Not really a recent design though, it's a blinged up 8000 (which I personally don't like - I always think of someone painting a bodywarmer and a bobble hat on the mona lisa)

Ban boring signatures!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:39 PM
Puncher:

Not really a recent design though, it's a blinged up 8000 (which I personally don't like - I always think of someone painting a bodywarmer and a bobble hat on the mona lisa)

Ban boring signatures!

Fair enough but that wasn’t what you said.

You said you struggled to see anything in the current line up of which you could say the same. And in my experience BL18s really do get the same type of comments.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:44 PM

Duels:
Puncher:

Ban boring signatures!

Fair enough but that wasn’t what you said.

You said you struggled to see anything in the current line up of which you could say the same. And in my experience BL18s really do get the same type of comments.

Yeah that's what I said - maybe I should have said "any of the new designs"

Ban boring signatures!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Apr 15 2021 8:52 PM
Puncher:

Yeah that's what I said - maybe I should have said "any of the new designs"

Ban boring signatures!

If you had I’d have most likely given you the same answer. And then you’d have explained why the BL18 wasn’t a new design.

WinkWinkWink
Page 2 of 5 (164 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > | RSS