Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What are you WATCHING "right now' ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 745 Replies | 5 Followers

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jun 29 2014 9:12 AM

Lots of trailers LOL

However in terms of real programming and movies:

• "The Ghost" (to complement the discussion on the "What Are You READING " thread)
  • Finishing off (so to speak) "Fargo" with its last episode
  • "The Tunnel" being the French/English version of the Swedish/Danish "The Bridge"
  • A documentary that follows a class of cadets through Sandhurst - the second episode is particularly moving 
  • And in my continued fascination of all things Scandinavian, a fictional account of the events leading up to, around, and subsequent investigations of the assassination of Olof Palme: "Death of a Pilgrim"

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Jul 2 2014 7:11 PM

Well, the final episode of this season of Penny Dreadful hit this past Sunday. I am still just amazed by this show, every episode I'd think they'd have peaked and it couldn't get more dramatic, and every time the next episode just snapped me back with intensity. Just amazing acting, writing, production values, everything first rate IMO.

I've even pre-ordered the BluRays, and am very depressed we have to wait a year for season 2. But, the finale of this season closed off enough open threads to be satisfying (that is no obvious huge cliffhanger which always bugs me), but still left enough open to leave you thinking and provide for a lot of potential plot twists and development in season 2.

Well done.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 5 2014 3:51 AM

Valhalla Rising, very odd film, spare, minimalist...about 120 lines of dialog total, and none from the protagonist. Surreal, and quite captivating 

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
The Lego Movie. EVERYTHING IS AWESOME

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Forgot this...

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
It's 4k pixelation ?

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Some Allman Brothers Band stuff from the 'The Music Vault' Youtube channel.

Lots and lots of music/concerts.

Mostly older ones - but some are even full concerts.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Jul 11 2014 8:01 AM
Not really watching - just testing the latest ATV update which it was revealed contains support for iTunes Extras which for certain movies provides a DVD like chapter interface. And other choices too

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Last Vegas. A really fun film with nothing but the best actors. Over 50's will appreciate this more than somebody who wears their baseball cap on back to front. Number 17 on iTunes at the moment if you have an Apple TV.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Jul 12 2014 11:17 PM

Just watched 300: Rise of an Empire, the sequel to The 300, both based on Miller graphic novels. Starred Eva Green, who did such an outstanding job in Penny Dreadful, and she doesn't disappoint here. Her performance is the centerpiece of this film, she is outstanding, and truly frightening as the Persian naval commander. Violent, focused, intelligent, and vicious. She is an impressive actress. Visually stunning film too.

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 13 2014 2:21 AM

Chris Townsend:
Over 50's will appreciate this more than somebody who wears their baseball cap on back to front.

I particularly identified with Morgan Freeman jumping out of the window to escape confinement 

And it was enjoyable - on average .... as I recall it the enjoyment level started dropping off towards the end

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 13 2014 2:23 AM

Jeff:

Just watched 300: Rise of an Empire, the sequel to The 300, both based on Miller graphic novels. Starred Eva Green, who did such an outstanding job in Penny Dreadful, and she doesn't disappoint here. Her performance is the centerpiece of this film, she is outstanding, and truly frightening as the Persian naval commander. Violent, focused, intelligent, and vicious. She is an impressive actress. Visually stunning film too.

I watched the trailer last week -- and found the CGI effects too obvious -- even seemed to have been applied to the Persian prince -- was it better "in the flesh" ?

BeoNut since '75

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
The more Pimms you drink, the funnier it gets[:\'(]

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jul 13 2014 2:33 PM

elephant:

Jeff:

I watched the trailer last week -- and found the CGI effects too obvious -- even seemed to have been applied to the Persian prince -- was it better "in the flesh" ?

Well, I enjoyed it. The CGI is a part of its style though, as in all the movies based on Miller's excellent graphical novels, you have to consider the movies a "live action" grapic novel. Just enjoy the over the top CGI for what it is, it can provide some very artistic and gorgeous scenes.

One thing I've noticed about Ms. Green, she certainly doesn't play retiring, shy, quiet women! All of her recent roles have been strong, aggressive women, and in this one she is a martially gifted, complete psychopath. When she discovers a Greek spy on her ship she says "I know all the men under my lash."

So, as you say, a lot of CGI, but some artistic CGI as well.

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 13 2014 4:48 PM
@Jeff - I can accept it then :)

Watched "Wall Street" - next weekend we will do the sequel

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Jul 24 2014 4:24 AM

Finally watched Gravity. Excellent effects, mostly accurate...some incorrect physics and EVA procedures, but not as bad as most space movies. Not much plot though, tried to watch it a second time and there just wasn't enough there to make it through a second time. 

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 1:25 AM

Jeff:
Finally watched Gravity. Excellent effects

Any experiences with surround sound similar to what I documented ?

That 4.1 is very very effective, and more immersive than 5.1 ?

And my watching took a hit this week - I will have catch-up to do today, but we did watch on Friday night part 1 of a 4 part series called "Secret State" from the UK.  

It was supposed to be shown a week ago, but the delayed it when the news of MH17 broke -- and that was a GOOD good taste decision ... when you see the opening sequence i.e. it is not for the light hearted

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 4:21 AM

I didn't think to try 4.1 for Gravity, but I also didn't think the 5.1 was anything special to write home about. I've heard much better. 

Including Penny Dreadful, some outstanding 5.1 there. Great use of low notes to create an ominous mood too. One episode they are downstairs and the vampire breaks in upstairs. For a minute I wasn't sure if it was the show or something went thump in mthey house! 

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 12:46 PM

Jeff:
One episode they are downstairs and the vampire breaks in upstairs. For a minute I wasn't sure if it was the show or something went thump in mthey house! 

Now that is EXACTLY why my wife HATES surround sound Laughing

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Jul 27 2014 3:37 PM

elephant:

Jeff:
One episode they are downstairs and the vampire breaks in upstairs. For a minute I wasn't sure if it was the show or something went thump in mthey house! 

Now that is EXACTLY why my wife HATES surround sound Laughing

Big Smile Doesn't bother my wife, but she always comments on it. The other night we were watching a movie set in the woods, and the birds chirping were amazingly well located around you. It was night, but we have a lot of birds, being in a rural area and also I feed them. One sounded like it was right on the back porch, to the right of where we sit. She said, listen to that dumb bird, chirping away and it's night (it happens sometimes) and I said, it's the movie. She almost didn't believe me until I muted the sound and the bird stopped.

Digital 5.1 can do some amazing things that the old ProLogic couldn't even begin to accomplish.

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Noah. You wouldn't Adam and Eve it Devil

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Aug 3 2014 6:56 PM

Dredd, the remake of Judge Dredd. Interesting, a completely different take, simpler story, grittier and much more violent. The first was kind of campy and comic book, I actually think I like the remake better.

Funny though, Karl Urban is Dredd, and in the entire movie you never see his face except from the tip of his nose down, he wears the helmet the whole movie. Wonder how many actors you could get to take a part like that?

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Aug 30 2014 6:42 PM

OK, couldn't sleep last night so got up and turned on the TV. Caught the most amazing indie film, Sushi Girl. Violent, very ultra violent in the style of Quentin Tarantino, enough in places to make little droogie Alex blush but if you can tolerate the violence there's a lot good about this film.

It takes place after some guys rob a diamond shop, stealing a lot of diamonds. One of them, the one with the stones, gets caught and spends six years in prison. After he's released, they have a celebration dinner for him at a sushi restaurant, in the back private dining room, eating sushi off the nude body of a girl, who is trained to not react to anything and becomes privy to all that goes on. They quickly ask him where the diamonds are, he says the cops stole them and didn't put them in evidence, they have interrogated and killed the cops and don't believe him, so they tie him to a chair and proceed to torture him to try and find out where the stones are, while the girl lays on the table listening to all of this.

And that's as much plot as I'll reveal, because it's the ending, the last 10 min of this that just shocks and surprises, 10 min from the end this movie takes a 90 deg turn and just blasts out of the race track it's been following. Truly creative ending, really surprising, twists your head around kind of thing.

One other thing that's amazing in it, one of the thugs is played by Mark Hamill, aka Luke Skywalker, in what has to be the best performance I've ever seen him deliver, somewhere along the line he's really refined his acting abilities. He plays an overweight, long blonde haired gay sadistic thug in the most amazingly believable way. Great performances by all, and especially by him.

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Last Night of the Proms 2014

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Sep 14 2014 7:14 AM

Get the 85" Avant and you will not ever see daylight again !

On the other hand, I am watching B&O Youtube (following leads from the CEIDA thread) ... this one shows a very nice upmarket launch

A party I would have loved to have been at .... http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sCv5XKK8d2c ... with the missus of course Drinks Drinks

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Sep 30 2014 7:08 PM
Just watched Identity. Really good psychological thriller, lots of twists and turns and non linear editing. A fun ride!

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Oct 5 2014 8:56 PM

Been watching three series that show up on the pay movie channels over here (HBO, Showtime, Starz, etc.). All are pretty good.

Final season of Boardwalk Empire, the story about Prohibition Atlantic City, quite a good series so far, will be interesting to see how they end it.

Outlander, based on the very popular books by Diana Gabaldon. So far it's very good, high production values, and my wife who's read the books say it's a faithful adaptation so far. Just ended the mid-season finale and it's going to be April of next year before new ones arrive.

The Knick, a story about a hospital, the Knickerbocker, in New York CIty in 1900. Very interesting because of the medical tech on display, and the new surgical inventions and techniques, stars Clive Owen who seems to be doing a better job than I usually expect from him.

All quite good and entertaining.

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Oct 5 2014 11:34 PM
+1 for Outlander which was first published as Cross-stitch and which we both read. We went on to read others - my wife gave up before me - but finallly I gave up halfway through "the drums of autumn " which is the 4th of 8 books in the series !

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Oct 6 2014 12:51 AM

Speaking of long book series, I've read all 20, yes 20(!), of the Falco detective novels. Written by Lyndsey Davis, a UK woman, they are the adventures of one Marcus Didius Falco, a "personal informer" aka private detective in Ancient Rome when Vespasian was emperor. Very historically accurate and amazingly well written and consistent. I'm amazed she could keep the quality up for so many installments. Always a fun read. 

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
My only toe dip into that era with adult fiction was the Robert Graves' Claudius series

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 11:54 AM

"The Fall" ... highly recommended ... http://thefall.zdfe-b2b.de/?q=thefall ... we just watched all 5 episodes of series 1 over a couple of days .....

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 6:05 PM

Looks interesting, haven't seen much of Anderson since X Files. Will check it out.

Meanwhile, I'm behind the power curve when related to everyone else, as I'm just now starting watching American Horror Story with season 1. Darned creepy so far.

I also just dug out and rewatched the anime Ghost In The Shell: Innocence. Stunning animation, dark storyline where the cyber police are investigating little girl sex robots that are going berserk, killing their owners, and then committing suicide, which is unheard of for a robot. And due to songs in the movie, I discovered a new jazz vocalist, Kimiko Itoh, amazing female jazz vocalist well worth a listen!

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Wed, Oct 15 2014 11:24 PM
Thanks Jeff. Sight unheard I just bought a handful of tracks - such is the power of your recommendation!

For some one knew I will buy favourites / well known songs sprinkled across all their years / recordings ... And after a while complete albums for the era / style / voice that most appeals to me.

A sincere thanks

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Oct 16 2014 4:52 PM

elephant:
Thanks Jeff. Sight unheard I just bought a handful of tracks - such is the power of your recommendation!

For some one knew I will buy favourites / well known songs sprinkled across all their years / recordings ... And after a while complete albums for the era / style / voice that most appeals to me.

A sincere thanks

Hope you enjoy her tunes! I've been listening to her on Spotify then bought a couple of her albums to add to iTunes. I tend to do that, regardless of the fact some would consider it wasteful to buy what's available to stream from Spotify. I find that I like having the ability to add a new artist to various appropriate mix playlists I have. Even though Spotify is out there and I use it, I have a great jazz radio station on it that is a good listen, I tend to be more iTunes centric. I guess I'm stuck halfway between the "I own the CDs" model and the "I stream everything" model.

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Oct 17 2014 4:25 AM
Me too Wink

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 4 2014 12:37 AM
elephant:

Me too The Essence of B&O is discretion in design and life

So? What do you think?

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Jeff:

So? What do you think? Jeff

Beovirus victim, it's gotten to be too much to list!

I like some of her "traditional" renditions - but others have disappointed where the band has been given too much space for improvising.

I picked songs from some six albums and I know am adding a song here and a song there. And will buy a whole album soon. This is part of the collection:

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Elephant.  I'm loving The Fall.  Just getting in to it. 

On another note, I saw Carrie the other night lol

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Aussie Michael:

Elephant. I'm loving The Fall. Just getting in to it.

On another note, I saw Carrie the other night lol

Yes The Fall is great.

We started watching Salamander on SBS ... when seemed to have killed it after only playing 3 or the 12 episodes.

Sad

BeoNut since '75

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Did you see that SBS now has the free 400 movies on demand 

Page 7 of 19 (746 items) « First ... < Previous 5 6 7 8 9 Next > ... Last » | RSS