Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

What are you WATCHING "right now' ?

rated by 0 users
This post has 745 Replies | 5 Followers

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 11:32 AM

elephant:

vikinger:

DoubleU:

vikinger:

I need another fix of scandinavian detective drama

I can recommend Wallander. Yes - thumbs up

The Killing is my favourite though, but you probably saw it already??

Yes, seen The Killing and most versions of Wallander. The Swedish Wallander programmes are better than the British.  Kenneth Branagh is very good in the role, but the scripts seem more sanitized.

Graham

Have you seen the movie called "Headhunter" from the novel by Jo Nesbo ?

No. That's another novel and movie  on my list!

Graham

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Sun, Feb 16 2014 12:26 PM

Another one for your 'Scandinavien' watchlist is Kvinden i Buret or Keeper of Lost Causes. Not released in most countries yet, but saw it anyway... Whistle 

Highly recommended!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 8:20 AM

Really still very impressed with True Detective on HBO here. Continues to be absolutely not what you expect and impossible to predict. And very well done. One episode had an amazing six minute tracking shot following a botched snatch and grab by some bikers on a drug house in the housing projects. Just amazing camera work, and the acting by actors cast in supporting roles are quite good.

Also just watched "Byzantium" which is a stylish, dark, moody, and different vampire take. Almost more emotional vignettes about a mother and daughter pair of vampires, and the way they were made is different, the whole vampire mythos is different and more amorphous. Less story than collection of emotional poems and moments, aka being a sixteen year old girl who's lived with her mother for two hundred years. 

quite good though, stars Gemma Arterton and Saoirse Ronan, who also starred in "Hannah."

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 5:54 PM

Heard only good things about True Detective. First episode is tough to watch, so I’ve been told, but after that it’s getting better and better. But first I have to finish House of Cards S2. 

Jeff:

One episode had an amazing six minute tracking shot following a botched snatch and grab by some bikers on a drug house in the housing projects. Just amazing camera work, and the acting by actors cast in supporting roles are quite good.

This reminds me of the (apparent) single-take shot of 5 minutes they did in El Secreto de Sus Ojos. From a birds-eye view of a full packed stadium, into the stands. among the crowd, throughout the concrete bowels and out onto the pitch, with the game still playing. Great camera work and excellent editing. One of my favourite movie of all time!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Just arrived home after seeing this:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=z02Ie8wKKRg&feature=youtube_gdata_player

Hard atuff!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Rich
Top 50 Contributor
Orlando, Florida, USA
Posts 2,598
Bronze Member
Rich replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 11:39 PM

Talk about difficult to watch:  bronze medal men's hockey game.

Congrats to Mika and our other Finnish friends.

Now, who to root for tomorrow?  Our Canadian neighbors, or the Red Wings on the Swedish team?

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member
tournedos replied on Sat, Feb 22 2014 11:50 PM

Rich:
Talk about difficult to watch:  bronze medal men's hockey game.

Sorry about that - just a late revenge for the 6-0 in Vancouver!

Rich:
Now, who to root for tomorrow?  Our Canadian neighbors, or the Red Wings on the Swedish team?

Big Smile Have to admit I've mostly been watching curling, figure skating and the odd snowboard event...

--mika

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

We are watching the closing ceremony of the winter Olympics on my mother in laws Avant. Beautiful to look at,  listen to and watch.

You know it's good when you turn it up, look at each other and smile.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Gravity. Make the room dark and spare the horses when it comes to the volume.

The best quality Bluray i have ever seen. EVERYes - thumbs up

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Mar 4 2014 8:01 PM

I missed seeing Gravity in the theaters, it seemed like a film that might have been worth seeing in 3D on a big screen despite my lukewarm feelings about 3D. Good to hear it's a great BR as well.

I mentioned the movie Byzantium earlier, and how impressed I was with Saoirse Ronan's performance. Well, suddenly the young lady is everywhere. I had heard of a movie called The Host about an alien invasion where the aliens occupy our bodies, so saw it had popped up on Netflix streaming, and bam, there she was starring in it. An OK movie, but not really great.

Then last night I couldn't sleep, so at about 1 AM I got up and turned on the TV, which I had left on one of the cable movie channels. Right at the start of The Lovely Bones, and lo and behold there is Saoirse Ronan again! This time a very young her, playing a 14 year old girl who is murdered by her neighbor. She moves to this kind of surreal and variable limbo and watches her family from there for years before she "moves on" to the afterlife proper, heaven it's said. This movie was truly well done, her performance was great, it also starred Mark Wahlburg and Rachel Weiz (not sure I spelled that right). Directed by Peter Jackson of Lord of the RIngs fame, it was a well done and emotive movie, worth a watch.

I IMDB'd The Lovely Bones and saw that they cast Ronan as they wanted an "unknown" to play the part, but while filming it she was nominated for a Best Supporting Actress Academy Award for her performance in Atonement. Oops, there went casting someone unknown...

It was interesting to see a film that Peter Jackson directed that wasn't the Middle Earth genre, he did an excellent job which shows he's more than a one trick pony. I'd never knowingly seen anything he has directed other than the ME stuff.

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Mar 8 2014 5:51 AM

The Swedish version of "Let The Right One In." Very good, very different vampire tale. 

Jeff

JackDec
Not Ranked
Posts 6
Bronze Member
JackDec replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 10:54 AM

Just like some of the early posts, finaly saw Hanna, Trollhunter and others on Film4 recently. 

Enjoyed the Ip man films they showed few weeks ago. And finaly got through all 5 seasons of Breaking Bad in less than a month :)

Looking forward to Game of Thones new season, Defiance, and new Godzilla movie

Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Wed, Mar 12 2014 8:10 PM
BBC at its musical documentary best with Storyville "Muscle Shoals", a fantastic insight to Rick Hall's famous music studio in Alabama

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 2:29 AM

Saw the finale of HBO's True Detective. I was very satisfirped with the ending, and the show, writing, acting, everything is as good as I've seen on a series. Really like an eight hour movie. 

Jeff

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 7:42 AM

I agree! Don't forget the soundtrack. But the acting stands out, especially McConaughey. Maybe it's because I just finished it, but this is the best TV-show I watched so far, ever!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 2:52 PM

You're right to mention that, the use of music was outstanding in True Detective. And the use of not completely music, ominous tones to set a mood. But the music was always perfectly chosen and helped reinforce the mood of every scene.

One thing too, the opening credits were amazing, which prompted my wife and I to talk about credits in general. Especially on shows on the pay movie channels like HBO and Showtime and such the credits are just amazing works of art in and of themselves, and have been since things like Rome and Carnivale. Some seriously good work shows up there.

I've been watching the pirate show Black Sails. It's OK, not great, but not bad. They did have a great scene recently, one guy was talking to the half wit cook...he starts going on about how he and everyone thinks this guy is a half wit, but he had a change of mind, now he thinks the guy's brilliant. He pretends to be a half wit, which lets him sail with the crew but not get tasked with the dangerous fighting, so he thinks he's a genius. He looks at the guy expecting some response, and the half wit just stares at him, rips a long fart, and goes back to peeling potatoes. Big Smile

Jeff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 5:21 PM

Just wanted to add, while the two main actors, Woody Harrelson and Matthew McConnaughey were both amazingly good and well cast for this, the supporting actors were really good as well. The actor who played the biker dude was really believable, as were the other supporting actors. All in all well done.

Meanwhile Vikings has returned to the History Channel here. The actor who plays Ragnar always manages to look more than a little bit crazy, like when he shows up to interrogate two captured Britons holding one of their comrades head under his arm. The scene of him at a feast with his wife at one side and the woman carrying his child on the other was priceless. He squirmed a lot and looked like he sure wanted to be somewhere else! Big Smile

Jeff

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Thu, Mar 13 2014 7:47 PM

Good thing that actors like McConnaughey and Harrelson, and also Kevin Spacy in House of Cards, who I assume are very expensive, to see them act in TV-shows. Yes - thumbs up

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Mar 14 2014 4:29 AM

The Killing Room, pretty intense psychological drama that begins with four people being brought in to be paid research subjects. The tests are not what they expected. Really a mind screw. 

Jeff

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Sun, Mar 16 2014 9:51 AM

Last night watched the final two episodes of Salamander, a Belgian secret society/ bank robbery detective drama.

Not as compelling as some of the Scandinavian dramas, but good viewing, even with the sub-titles.

What is interesting with the sub-titling of so many of these imported programmes is that whoever has done the translation into English seems, generally, not to be a native english speaker. So you frequently get a perfectly understandable Danish/ Swedish/ Flemish/ Dutch word that is virtually the same in English translated imto something entirely different (and maybe school-taught english from 50 years ago, when the text books were from an even earlier decade.)  Even 'borrowed english' phrases get translated back as something different! They really should employ a native english speaker to do a final check of the sub-titling. 

Graham

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Watching the Dark Knight, both Star Trek films, Gravity and Tron. Just got a 7-55 :-)

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Mar 29 2014 5:52 PM

Congratulations! Always fun watching a lot of good movies when you get a new TV. First thing I did when I got my new Panasonic was slap Blade Runner in the BluRay player.

New Tron or old? The new one is visually stunning. Liked The Dark Knight, very gritty, but nowhere near as dark as the comic/graphic novel. In that Batman is questioning this gang member by hanging him off the top of the tallest building in the city. He says "It takes a lot of effort to carry a 220 lb psychopath to the top of the tallest building in Gotham City...The scream alone is worth it." Surprise

Enjoy the new TV!

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

New Tron, and forgot Transformers and Blade Runner.

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Mon, Mar 31 2014 8:03 PM

A brilliant Tom Hanks in Captain Phillips! Yes - thumbs up

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Thu, Apr 10 2014 4:50 PM

Just watched the Superman reboot, Man of Steel. Not long on scintillating dialog or plot, nevertheless it was an enjoyable romp, lots of action, lots of special effects. Darker than any previous Superman movie, especially a scene near the end where in order to finally defeat General Zod, he has to sacrifice the family he's trying to keep Zod from killing.

Game of Thrones has started again, only one episode in but it's always a good watch.

Jeff

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Apr 13 2014 11:52 PM
The Dark Knight. Very exciting movie and I loved pointing out the B&O items to my family as I saw them.

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Wed, Apr 16 2014 9:08 AM

I've been watching the first episode, season 7 of Mad Men last night. Oh boy, what a great series!Yes - thumbs up More Mad Men fans over here?

Wouter

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Wed, Apr 16 2014 3:46 PM

Wouter:

I've been watching the first episode, season 7 of Mad Men last night. Oh boy, what a great series!Yes - thumbs up More Mad Men fans over here?

I've watched a few of them and really enjoyed them, but for some reason I've never gotten around to remembering when they come on and making a habit of watching the series. Part of that may be my aversion to commercials, they usually drive me nuts. I have been thinking I need to binge watch Mad Men sometime.

One commercial laden show I do watch is Vikings, the last one was amazingly artistic in how it was filmed, and interestingly enough the most artistry was reserved for the most brutal execution method, the blood eagle. Gruesome in the extreme but man, what a bit of incredible film making.

I've been binge watching the old scifi series Farscape lately, remembering how good that really was.

Jeff

Wouter
Top 500 Contributor
Netherlands
Posts 302
Bronze Member
Wouter replied on Sat, Apr 19 2014 5:33 PM

Jeff:

I've watched a few of them and really enjoyed them, but for some reason I've never gotten around to remembering when they come on and making a habit of watching the series. Part of that may be my aversion to commercials, they usually drive me nuts. I have been thinking I need to binge watch Mad Men sometime.

Well, you should definitely watch the latest episode! Especially the scene at 8:30 is great! An aversion to commercials when watching a series about advertising can be a little problem...Surprise 

I'll watch the first episode if I find the time this week!

Wouter

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

Into the Wild on Netflix. A fantastic story, acting and music. The landscape filmed do a better job for tourism, than any promotion video for the USA and Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, May 6 2014 11:13 AM
Game of Thrones ...

We can not put our finger on it, but somehow this season seems a little ... "off" ?

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, May 6 2014 4:19 PM

elephant:
Game of Thrones ...

We can not put our finger on it, but somehow this season seems a little ... "off" ?

I know what you mean, all the plot lines seem to be a tad stagnant and off kilter in some way. I did really enjoy seeing ol'Jof bite it. Stick out tongue

Jeff

DoubleU
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 562
Bronze Member
DoubleU replied on Tue, May 6 2014 7:16 PM

Chris Townsend:

Into the Wild on Netflix. A fantastic story, acting and music. The landscape filmed do a better job for tourism, than any promotion video for the USA and Canada.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2LAuzT_x8Ek

One of my favourites! It's also listed in the IMDB top250. 

elephant:
Game of Thrones ...

I already had that problem in season 3. Just couldn't keep up with all those difficult names. I guess I cannot take a break of 7 months and start with a new season. Not with this TV-show.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Severian:

I know what you mean, all the plot lines seem to be a tad stagnant and off kilter in some way. I did really enjoy seeing ol'Jof bite it.

Jeff

Yes - but his going was not bad enough ! Some good old "hung - drawn - quarter" with "burn disembowelled live entrails" would have been better IMHO ... I know they tried to make the poisoning horrific - but it was not bad enough !

@DoubleU ... I know what you mean but it's a family thing ... Certainly we could have benefit from a LOST like 5 minute bridge from last year (or watched Season 3 all over again!)

BeoNut since '75

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Wed, May 7 2014 12:24 PM

Watched the second programme of 'Hinterland' on bbc iPlayer last night. Rather bleak but watchable detective series based in North Wales with an interesting mix of Welsh (subtitled) and English.

At one point when investigating a body in a remote and sparsely furnished cottage the cop walks over to what looks like a Beogram 1700, lifts the perspex lid and finds the tonearm/stylus is stuck at the end of a record with the turntable still spinning. Is that likely to happen in reality?

He lifts the arm and repositions the stylus at the start of the record, and the scene continues with classical music flooding the crime scene.

Graham

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member
Final Destination 5

Earlier today:

- Adventures of Tin Tin

- Goldeneye
Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, May 26 2014 4:01 AM

I've been enjoying a new show that's a joint Showtime/Sky production, Penny Dreadful. Stars Eva Green and Timothy Dalton, a Victorian horror series that so far has been quite intriguing. High production values, good acting, well written. 

Jeff

Chris
Top 75 Contributor
Ostend-BE
Posts 1,170
Bronze Member
Chris replied on Mon, May 26 2014 5:18 AM

Jeff:

'a Victorian horror series that so far has been quite intriguing. High production values, good acting, well written.'

Found this new series on Usenet lately. Josh Hartnett is one of the stars, looks pretty promising!

"Believe nothing you read and only half of what you see, let your ears tell you the truth."

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, May 26 2014 5:32 AM

Chris:

Jeff:

'a Victorian horror series that so far has been quite intriguing. High production values, good acting, well written.'

Found this new series on Usenet lately. Josh Hartnett is one of the stars, looks pretty promising!

Rory Kinnear is turning in a very impressive performance as Frankenstein's creature as well. 

Jeff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
ET on Bluray. The 7-55 Beolab 7-6 never fails to impress. Just watching the opening scene, brilliantSmile

Page 6 of 19 (746 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS