Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Three New Products - My Review.....

This post has 287 Replies | 7 Followers

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
So I could see the beolab 17 in store and listen to them. They look a lot smaller than on the pictures. They are 32cm tall only. So they're about the same size as the beolab 4000, I though they'd be bigger.

They also look more elegant than on the pictures.

They sound a lot bigger than they are, with a lot of base, they are pretty impressive!

The broken ice grid isn't as ugly as on the pictures, but still look like a cheap room deodoriser to me.

The other 2 speakers were not yet available.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Peter Pan
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,088
Bronze Member

Hallo PhilLondon

Then you must try to get an export set that should have been to China. Big Smile

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member
Haha! Maybe that's a subliminal thing they've done to better enter the Chinese market!

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Has anybody already posted this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKldYFuiAJc

?

Cheers,

Kai

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 9:38 PM

nop!

thx Kai

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:16 PM

Thanks for posting the video. Here is another one. It is just some still pictures but there is one picture that shows the 18 in black and white as well as wood. It is not a good picture but it is the first I have seen of the black and white options.

http://youtu.be/svEasGWcQcI

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:23 PM

Peter Pan:

Hallo PhilLondon

Then you must try to get an export set that should have been to China. Big Smile

Maybe some Chinese would not like them with the red fabric, as it reminds them of the Japanese flag...Whistle

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:35 PM

Steffen:

Peter Pan:

Hallo PhilLondon

Maybe some Chinese would not like them with the red fabric, as it reminds them of the Japanese flag...Whistle

The Chinese flag is red with gold stars.  Denmark's flag is predominately red as are a lot of other flags.  Switzerland?Smile

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:39 PM

linder:

The Chinese flag is red with gold stars.  Denmark's flag is predominately red as are a lot of other flags.  Switzerland?Smile

I was not referring to the color red ... But a red dot - that's the Japanese flag.

Is it a flag - or a Beolab Wink

And i know that some Chinese has a problem with Japan...

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:57 PM

If you're in doubt, look at this:

Shanghai World Financial Center

The trapezoidal hole atop the Tower was originally a sphere, designs where changed after the Chinese Government made claims in 2005 that the Japanese Funded Building's circular hole was too similar to the rising sun on Japan's Flag.

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:59 PM

Jeff:

I wonder too how low it goes, they spec output at 96 dB at 50 hz. 7 liters is a very small cabinet volume for an 8 inch sub driver. 

Effective range: 21- 900Hz. Top figure seems rather high to me.

Peter

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 11:27 PM
The 11 minute video on the products shows a BV65 with features of the 18 listed on it. One of them was "magical light guide." Is that what the green power indicator is referred to as?

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 1:24 AM

Peter:

Jeff:

I wonder too how low it goes, they spec output at 96 dB at 50 hz. 7 liters is a very small cabinet volume for an 8 inch sub driver. 

Effective range: 21- 900Hz. Top figure seems rather high to me.

Thanks, I hadn't seen that spec, it seems more believable. The 11 will go lower than 50 hz. 

I like the sub, but unless there's a way to get a corresponding high pass for my 8000s I may have to go with a BL2. 

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

PhilLondon:

elephant:

Announced ?

Properly announced ?

Or just "in the future we will release a BeoLab Receiver 1" ?

Look at this page. Right column, the announcement, and in the middle, you'll see they say it'll be for spring 2014.

Thanks Philippe but I had seen that and that is what I meant by my last category:

Coming soon – BeoLab Receiver 1

BeoLab Receiver 1 gives you freedom to create a wireless setup choosing any loudspeaker from our entire range - including those with cables - so you can tailor a precise sonic landscape to suit your taste. Our WiSA certified BeoLab Receiver 1 allows you to pair your BeoLab speakers with any WiSA compliant TVs, A/V receiver or music systems.

The above is not a proper announcement, it's a promise Smile

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

PhilLondon:

... and unless your existing speakers are stored in the cellar, chances you already have the cables for them!

Unlike the transmitter, I hope they're going to make the receiver look pretty neat, as it'll certainly be on the floor next to the speakers in most cases.

warning - prior art patent grab by the elephant :)

As Millemissen says, they better be small - but as small as a USB dongle ? I don't know ...

But what would smart is to do the following ! 

Wall socket ---power--- Beolab Receiver ===power+PL cable (or sleeved)===Beolab speaker 

Other wise there would need to be two wall sockets, two power cables and a short PL cable

Just an idea :)

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

PhilLondon:

Hereford:

My only gripe with the new Beolab 18 is that they made the wood front so wide. It seems to be an aesthetic choice, I don't agree with it.

It makes them look too imposing. Judging by the rare photos of the white and black lamella edition, those look more narrow.

I agree, I think the new stand, the new shape of the cone and the net ALT lens work very well. I think that the curved shape of the lamella front is necessary to make the ALT lens work well (design wise). I imagine it wasn't possible to have a curved fabric front so they went for this lamella approach. It makes the speakers a bit shorter and wider, which makes them a little bit more stocky and less elegant.

That said, I think they'll appeal to a lot of people. Some people will like the wood front (I personally like my deco to be rather on the cold and minimalist side, so no wood for me). It's a shame they only push the wooden version in their photos. I'd like to see the white and black version in real life.

I am going to try and see if some of the new speakers are on show at Selfridges or Harrods today...

At first I could not understand the "left field" that the BL18s seemed to be coming in from, however on the day before I had my store visit I spotted this book - and today I examined it more carefully, and so it is that there is a home architecture / design movement that is under way where BL18s will be completely at home ! (just not my 1875 Victorian home!)

http://www.thamesandhudson.com/New_Natural_Home/9780500515617

BeoNut since '75

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Mon, Nov 4 2013 7:43 PM

BeoLab 18...  naked... Embarrassed

Just thought you guys would be interested to see it.  There's a gap between the top of the sculpted 'cone' and the bottom of the main speaker driver and amplifier housing which I was told was bass porting..

Are the bas drivers also completly different?

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 12:31 AM

Here is a link with a picture of the white 18.

http://www.luhho.com/noticias-luhho/22-luhho/10842-beolab-18-lo-nuevo-de-bang-a-olufsen.html 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Razlaw:

Here is a link with a picture of the white 18.

http://www.luhho.com/noticias-luhho/22-luhho/10842-beolab-18-lo-nuevo-de-bang-a-olufsen.html

Looks very nice !

I wonder if they will do a special edition piano key effect - alternating black and white slats

BeoNut since '75

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

NIce... but somehow I am sure they'll be forcing the stores to display the wood version and the BL17 with the broken ice facia. Just like they asked the shops to show the BV10 with the orange front.

kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 8:03 AM

Steffen:

Looks like the largest bottle-opener available....

Big Smile

Ralf

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Manbearpig:

Has anybody already posted this video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dKldYFuiAJc

?

Cheers,

Kai

Just me or is Tue looking a little "worn" in that video? Erm..

Too long to list.... 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 11:21 AM

The way (and amount) Tue works I'd have dropped down in a heap a long time ago.  He barely sleeps, he runs (very quickly judging by his times!), he works at 180mph, and has more to do and think about than most of us could imagine.  I'd look worn too...

However, I think he's got a new haircut - and his fringe is too short in my opinion.. Big Smile

Back on topic though and away from haircuts - the more I see the picture of the BeoLab 18 with the white lamellae the more I prefer the wood !!  I never thought I'd say that !!! 

Lee

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

9 LEE:

The way (and amount) Tue works I'd have dropped down in a heap a long time ago.  He barely sleeps, he runs (very quickly judging by his times!), he works at 180mph, and has more to do and think about than most of us could imagine.  I'd look worn too...

However, I think he's got a new haircut - and his fringe is too short in my opinion.. Big Smile

Back on topic though and away from haircuts - the more I see the picture of the BeoLab 18 with the white lamellae the more I prefer the wood !!  I never thought I'd say that !!! 

Lee

That's what I was thinking Lee, that the guy has a lot on his mind. 

Too long to list.... 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 11:47 AM

9 LEE:

I agree. Lee, do you know what happened to the three BL18 wood choices that were supposed to be available at launch? My dealers says they are still forthcoming.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 12:11 PM

moxxey:

I agree. Lee, do you know what happened to the three BL18 wood choices that were supposed to be available at launch? My dealers says they are still forthcoming.

Hmm... I was told it would be Oak at launch, then Teak and Walnut to follow.

I'm dying to see the Walnut versions.  I'd also (even though it's never been mentioned) love to see Flame Rosewood on them.

Lee

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member

another white picture -

Ban boring signatures!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I would think that it is possible that they come in different 'woods'.

But they will all be options - they are sold with the whites or the blacks.

My dealer didn't even know if you could leave the blacks (or whites) out if ordering the wooden ones!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member

I listened to the impressive Beolab 18 again yesterday and i cannot stress enough how much better they were compared to the Beolab 6002 playing exactly the same track, and from the same source.

The staff also mooted that they thought they were better than the Beolab 3, although they couldn't elaborate on it for fear of Moxxey coming in through window SAS style shouting "NNNNOOOOOOOOO" 

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 12:48 PM

Chris Townsend:

I listened to the impressive Beolab 18 again yesterday and i cannot stress enough how much better they were compared to the Beolab 6002 playing exactly the same track, and from the same source.

The staff also mooted that they thought they were better than the Beolab 3, although they couldn't elaborate on it for fear of Moxxey coming in through window SAS style shouting "NNNNOOOOOOOOO" 

Do you mean the 17's?

Ban boring signatures!

bayerische
Top 25 Contributor
Ekenäs, Finland
Posts 4,770
Bronze Member

Puncher:

another white picture -

They look pretty good in white, I must admit.

I still don't like the ALT though... 

Too long to list.... 

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 2:13 PM

I saw the BL19 at lunch - really looks good, although it feels like a plastic finish, even though it's incredibly heavy. Or metal with some kind of thick lacquer finish.

It's about the same size as the BL2.

Didn't hear it sadly, as they'd just removed it from the box. Looks good though.

The BL17s might be better than the BL3s. I just prefer the type of audio you get from the BL3s - they are brighter due to the ALTs. The overall audio experience might be better on the BL17s, but they still look like a pair of speakers from 1981, if that floats people's boat. It doesn't for me :)

I'll keep my BL3s+BL11 combo!

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
bayerische:

Just me or is Tue looking a little "worn" in that video?

Too long to list....

I thought so too ...

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

He is a busy man!

But - who else can call a day in the week his?

TUE-sday Big Smile

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Tonker:

Beovision 11-46, Beovision 8-26, Beovision 3-32, Avant RF 28, Beosound 8, Beolit 12, Beocom 2, Beotime, H6 and Form 2, Beo 4's and a 6.

When we did the test drive on the weekend we thought the BL3s sounded dull ....

But in our home we love them ...

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant:

When we did the test drive on the weekend we thought the BL3s sounded dull ....

But in our home we love them ... My new avatar reads "anything unrelated to elephants is irrelephant" - except B&O (of course)

Quickly before moxxey chips in ... The dullness was in comparison to the BL11.2s ... But the ALTs were at different heights so not a good test

BeoNut since '75

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Jeff:

I was pretty interested in the 19 until I took a look at the users guide. Unlike, say, the BL2 it only has a low pass filter, no way to high pass filter the L and R mains. Given its designed to be a one way wireless connection from the transmitter, I guess that doesn't surprise me, but unless it's part of a X.1 type setup like a theater setup that makes it hard to properly integrate with an older speaker, and you don't get the benefits of removing the bass frequencies out of the main speakers. 

Hi Jeff,

(Forgive me if I over-respond to your comment - I'm writing a response for everyone - not just you. Smile)

You're correct in reading that the BeoLab19 does not have a built-in bass management as in the BeoLab 2 - meaning, as you already said, that there is no high-passed output for the "main" loudspeakers. However, unlike the BeoLab 2, the low pass filter in the BeoLab 19 has an adjustable cutoff frequency. So, in cases where you are not bass managing externally (i.e. in the television, AVR, or wireless transmitter box), you have the option of setting the subwoofer's low pass filter to match (within reason) the natural high pass filter in your main loudspeakers. Of course, if your are doing the bass management externally, you should disable the low pass filter in the BeoLab 19 which puts its "natural" high cut frequency high enough to be out of the way of a typical bass management crossover in the 100-120 Hz area - so we're not messing up the phase response of the low-pass characteristic.

As for how low it goes - this is a difficult question to answer, even when you're looking at the raw measurements. This is due to the fact that, as with almost all of our loudspeakers, we are doing dynamic - ummm - stuff - to the signal to protect the system from excessive excursion, clipping, or thermal failure. So, for example, how low it goes depends on how loud you're playing (among lots of other things). The 96 dB spl at 50 Hz should not be read as being part of the "frequency response" (or "magnitude response" or "power response" or any other linear response - but you and I have exchanged on that distinction on another forum on beoworld...). It's just a measure of how loud the system can play at one frequency (the same frequency that we use for all of our loudspeaker tech spec's - not specially chosen for this particular loudspeaker) for the purposes of comparison of something like "bass capability".

The reason we include this bass capability measurement is because our frequency range spec's may be a little confusing for some people. For example, I have read a discussion on another beoworld forum where people were confused as to how a BeoLab 12-1 could have basically the same low cutoff frequency as the BeoLab 12-3, given that the -3 has two woofers and the -1 only has one. (there was a similar discussion about the 6000 vs the 8000). It is not immediately intuitive, since our dynamic processing isn't part of the intuitive equation. The "frequency response" of our DSP-based loudspeakers is, basically, whatever we want it to be, since it's determined by the tuning in the signal processing. However, that only holds true when you're not playing loudly. The louder you play, the more we have to protect the loudspeaker (meaning "do something in the dynamic processing like 'turn down the bass' for example"). The Bass Capability measurement is there to give an indication, in a head-to-head battle, which BeoLab plays bass loudest.

Cheers

-geoff

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Puncher:

Do you mean the 17's?

Ban boring signatures!

Yes the 17, you are correct. Get up to the Toon and try them out.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 3:24 PM

Chris Townsend:
Puncher:

Do you mean the 17's?

Ban boring signatures!

Yes the 17, you are correct. Get up to the Toon and try them out.

I'll just wait until the 18's are there too, I may not like the look of them but I'm very keen to hear them!

It'll probably be my one and only trip to the shops this side of Christmas as I also need to visit either Windows or Soundslive to buy a geetar!

Ban boring signatures!

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 4:12 PM

Geoff, thanks very much for the reply. I understand why bass freq response is difficult to spec, a speaker with one or two woofers can have identical small signal response but vary greatly in ability to deliver high SPL at low freq before damage or distortion. And for subs things like room placement and reinforcement can have a big effect. The B&O use of things like ABL and other signal/DSP processing is an area that IMO truly sets you ahead of more conventional loudspeakers. I've always been amazed at how you get the low end response of the Lab 5s big woofer out of such a small enclosure. Years ago a company over here called Marchand introduced a box called a Bassis that allows you to force Qtc and Fs of an acoustic suspension speaker to whatever you want, but to do more than a minor tweak takes a very robust driver, or boom! Surprise

I've tried to mate subs to mains with only an adjustable low pass xover before, with pretty poor results. Lots of issues with say a second or fourth order natural roll off of the mains, confounded by other room effects and such, with low pass crossovers of often unknown order. I suspect I could do a much better kob of it today as, thanks to the same kind of digital revolution that makes DSP possible I now have a suite of PC based audio measurement tools and calibrated mics that I didn't have then. That would also of course not give you the benefits of removing the bass from the mains.

One thing I think would be problematic is trying to mate a Beolab main with a non Beolab sub, due to one having ABL and the other not. It would seem that as signal level changed the performance especially in the overlap region would vary. Enough to be a problem, I don't know, but it definitely has me looking at a Beolab sub. 

From looking at the manual for the Wireless transmitter since it has a 2.1 option based on stereo in it appears it has a highpass? Yes, no, maybe? Cool

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Page 6 of 8 (288 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS