Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Three New Products - My Review.....

This post has 287 Replies | 7 Followers

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Puncher:

Slightly disappointed (but not surprised) that the lamella have had to be accounted for in the speaker voicing, it means there is no possibility of a plain cloth fretted version - I still think the slats are design fluff and nonsense!!

Also the fact that the tweeter/ALT combination is running "bright" on axis so that it sounds OK when sat down below line of sight, - it's disappointing that the "style" of sticking it on top seems to have somewhat compromised the speaker in that the lens wasn't positioned at maybe it's optimum height.

Does it sound like I still don't like the BL18?? That'll be it, then!!

Hi,

I won't try to change your dislike of the loudspeaker, but I would like to clear up a couple of things...

Anything that is in front of any driver on any well-made loudspeaker by any manufacturer has to be accounted for in that loudspeaker's voicing. One British manufacturer of high-end loudspeakers (who shall remain nameless here) for example, recommends in their manual that the grilles be left on their loudspeaker at all times - even for "critical listening" - since the loudspeaker has been voiced with the effect of the grilles taken into account. Another British manufacturer of high-end loudspeakers (who shall also remain nameless here), as another example, recommends that their grilles be removed for critical listening, but replaced immediately afterwards to protect the drivers from accidental contact. This means that, if you have kids that poke circular objects without warning or provocation, in the second manufacturer's case, you are almost never listening to the "correct" tuning of the loudspeaker.

As for the issue of directivity (i.e. bright this way and "dark" another. . .), this is also true of any loudspeaker at some frequencies, whether equipped with ALT or not. All loudspeakers have some directional characteristics that varies with frequency. Typically, this behaviour is extremely unpredictable by mere mortals - i.e. those without access to expensive microphones and large (and possibly anechoic) chambers and a decent computer and software to play with. In other words, it is almost never the case that something simple like "the high frequencies roll off as you move off-axis" happens (although it's a nice simplification that I am guilty of using in my earlier posting). The big thing to remember with any loudspeaker is that, in almost all situations, at the listening position, you hear far more energy from the power response than the on-axis (or off-axis) magnitude response. In other words, unless your listening room has walls that are extremely absorptive at all frequencies, the sound of the loudspeaker in your listening position is almost entirely determined by the three-dimensional spherical radiation of the loudspeaker into the room - and not a beam that comes at you like a laser.

As a result, a great deal of effort that we do at B&O is to concentrate, not on the direct, on-axis magnitude response (typically called the "frequency response") of the loudspeaker. Instead, we're looking at (1) a much wider "listening window" that has some +/- width and +/- height (relative to the on-axis beam) in front of the loudspeaker and (2) the integration (or sum) of the radiation of the loudspeaker at all frequencies (well, at least from about 100 Hz to 20 kHz, give or take - below 100 Hz, real life behaves a lot like predictions, so our job is easier) in all directions. Armed with the knowledge of these two general behavioural traits, we start the final stage of the sound design process. This is because the information in those two acoustic "measurements" (actually the result of a lot of individual measurements) is what is used in the sound tuning that the engineers do before they hand the loudspeaker over to me to start listening.

This is why, if you were to measure the on-axis magnitude response of any of our loudspeakers, you'd be surprise at how "bad" it looks. All this means is that you shouldn't use our loudspeakers for listening to music in an anechoic chamber - or outdoors on a high pole. However, if you look at the time response in the front listening area and the total power response, you'll see that we spent a bit of time looking at those ourselves. . . Meaning that, if you live in a room with reflections, our speakers should perform pretty nicely. (By the way, if you'd like to read more about this, I wrote a blog about it on my own personal site here. This has gotten me thinking about writing a similar posting about the above discussion more specifically. . . I'll think more about that on the weekend.)

Hope this helps explain my earlier posting a little more clearly than I did the first time... If not, please ask! 

Cheers

-geoff 

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Why "any" B&O speakers have bad on axis response? I remember the Lab5s having perfect on axis and off axis power response, not vertically but still...

The Alt speakers are still too hot in the  treble in terms of in-room power response for sure. Because which speaker out there have flat off axis in the treble? 

I have the beolab3s and they are unparalleled for miniature computer speakers but audiophile speakers they are not. 

To carry over the two mid woofer arrangement in the Beolab8000 to the new Lab18 is simply to retain it's phasey voicing in the mids. I understand that B&O is trying to cater to it's varied clienteles but to sat its loudspeakers are accurate that will be misleading. Enjoyable for sure but not pitch perfect because that will be a stretch. 

Now I hope the lab17s are voiced flat so that they can cater to home studios and the likes. The best publicity for B&O is to send the speakers out to professional audio mags and have them compete head to head to studio monitors and even sell them in Apple stores. It's equipped with all the inputs after all so why not voice them as sound monitors with optional ABL on and off function of course. 

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 9:27 PM
Millemissen:

The new B&O Magazine is now avaiable in the Apple app store.

Not a catalouge like the old ones - but a magazine.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV.

Not on the AU App Store - do you mean "app" or is it a iBook or something on Newsstand ?

my mistake - the magazine is iPad only so it was not showing up while I was searching on the iPhone

Thanks Phil for the linked that helped me "solve" this problem

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 10:12 PM
wtlc2zpx:

Well, that's not an attitude B&O can afford any longer! The don't need people to just talk about their products, they need people to buy their them because they like them.

And David had probably already received his design commission

Mind you I am NOT advocating designers get paid on the basis of sales success ! We would be living in a very bland world if that were the case

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 10:16 PM
Tonker:

I thought that too. And considering they are possibly the best 2 speakers they made, that's quite an achievement. Beovision 11-46, Beovision 8-26, Beovision 3-32, Avant RF 28, Beosound 8, Beolit 12, Beocom 2, Beotime, H6 and Form 2, Beo 4's and a 6.

I possibly agree ... I wish I had got my BL 3s with a white case - that is still stylish

And I note that no one is saying the 4000s looked dated :-)

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 10:18 PM
moxxey:

There's no way the BL3's look 'dated'. They are small, neat, compact. They perform well above their station, too. I'd much rather have the BL3s than the BL17s as rears. Those BL17s are huge and look like an old BBC prop from Blake 7 to me.

Really like the BL19 and 18s, but I'm going to wait for the transmitter for my BL3s, or get another pair of BL3s.

Yes - thumbs up for BL 3s

Yes - thumbs up for Blake's 7

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 10:20 PM

elephant:

I possibly agree ... I wish I had got my BL 3s with a white case - that is still stylish

You can swap out the outer-casing. It's not too difficult. Buy white cases and swap them yourself?

BTW this has gone waaaaay off topic now! If anyone gets to this fourth page, they'll wonder what the discussion was about ;)

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

No review, but my impression listening to the BL17 today.

After readig the review of 9 Lee, I had expected them to be good - but not that good Yes - thumbs up

Set up as a stereoset (the dealer had only got 1 set), I listened to a couple of U2-tracks.

Very impressive - actually I started looking for a sub (although I knew that there was none).

A videoclip ('acoustic Clapton') with the speakers of the BV11 made me think, this is all I need.

Don't know how they did it, but these rather small LS are really amazing.

It was really worth driving all the way to my favorite shop Smile

The speakers were on the stand - I (and the dealer) wonder why it wad made it that low.

10-20 cm probably would be better in most livingrooms.

Unfortunatly 'my dealer' - like almost all in Denmark (of all countries) - hadn't got the BL18 and the 19 yet.

So I will have to return there in a couple of days Whistle

P.S. @ 9 Lee - he, who undresses BL's.

Could we have a picture of a 'naked BL17', please Embarrassed

Greetings Millemissen

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 11:39 PM
How does the sound from the 17s compare to 4000s and/or 3s in your opinion?

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

For the BL17 there are covers/frets in a couple of different colours - beside the icy-ones.

I am sure we will see more and different covers in the future.

I already spotted one here:

http://www.hifi4all.dk/forum/forum_posts.asp?TID=46053&PN=1&TPN=386

P.S. How about a Halloween Edition 🎃

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Razlaw:
How does the sound from the 17s compare to 4000s and/or 3s in your opinion?

I would go for the BL17 - but it depends on your room and/or if you want to use them as front or rearspeakers.

I could not make a direct comparison, but I know all BL's quite well.

I would put it this way: If you should compare, you would have to compare a BL3-BL2 or a BL4000-BL11 combo to the BL17.

MM

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Thu, Oct 31 2013 11:50 PM
Thanks! I am wanting to replace the 4000s I have a s rears with 9s in the front. Have thought of either the 17 or 18s as replacements.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 12:17 AM

Geoff Martin:

Puncher:

Slightly disappointed (but not surprised) that the lamella have had to be accounted for in the speaker voicing, it means there is no possibility of a plain cloth fretted version - I still think the slats are design fluff and nonsense!!

Also the fact that the tweeter/ALT combination is running "bright" on axis so that it sounds OK when sat down below line of sight, - it's disappointing that the "style" of sticking it on top seems to have somewhat compromised the speaker in that the lens wasn't positioned at maybe it's optimum height.

Hi,

I won't try to change your dislike of the loudspeaker, but I would like to clear up a couple of things...

Anything that is in front of any driver on any well-made loudspeaker by any manufacturer has to be accounted for in that loudspeaker's voicing. One British manufacturer of high-end loudspeakers (who shall remain nameless here) for example, recommends in their manual that the grilles be left on their loudspeaker at all times - even for "critical listening" - since the loudspeaker has been voiced with the effect of the grilles taken into account. Another British manufacturer of high-end loudspeakers (who shall also remain nameless here), as another example, recommends that their grilles be removed for critical listening, but replaced immediately afterwards to protect the drivers from accidental contact. This means that, if you have kids that poke circular objects without warning or provocation, in the second manufacturer's case, you are almost never listening to the "correct" tuning of the loudspeaker.

As for the issue of directivity (i.e. bright this way and "dark" another. . .), this is also true of any loudspeaker at some frequencies, whether equipped with ALT or not. All loudspeakers have some directional characteristics that varies with frequency. Typically, this behaviour is extremely unpredictable by mere mortals - i.e. those without access to expensive microphones and large (and possibly anechoic) chambers and a decent computer and software to play with. In other words, it is almost never the case that something simple like "the high frequencies roll off as you move off-axis" happens (although it's a nice simplification that I am guilty of using in my earlier posting). The big thing to remember with any loudspeaker is that, in almost all situations, at the listening position, you hear far more energy from the power response than the on-axis (or off-axis) magnitude response. In other words, unless your listening room has walls that are extremely absorptive at all frequencies, the sound of the loudspeaker in your listening position is almost entirely determined by the three-dimensional spherical radiation of the loudspeaker into the room - and not a beam that comes at you like a laser.

As a result, a great deal of effort that we do at B&O is to concentrate, not on the direct, on-axis magnitude response (typically called the "frequency response") of the loudspeaker. Instead, we're looking at (1) a much wider "listening window" that has some +/- width and +/- height (relative to the on-axis beam) in front of the loudspeaker and (2) the integration (or sum) of the radiation of the loudspeaker at all frequencies (well, at least from about 100 Hz to 20 kHz, give or take - below 100 Hz, real life behaves a lot like predictions, so our job is easier) in all directions. Armed with the knowledge of these two general behavioural traits, we start the final stage of the sound design process. This is because the information in those two acoustic "measurements" (actually the result of a lot of individual measurements) is what is used in the sound tuning that the engineers do before they hand the loudspeaker over to me to start listening.

This is why, if you were to measure the on-axis magnitude response of any of our loudspeakers, you'd be surprise at how "bad" it looks. All this means is that you shouldn't use our loudspeakers for listening to music in an anechoic chamber - or outdoors on a high pole. However, if you look at the time response in the front listening area and the total power response, you'll see that we spent a bit of time looking at those ourselves. . . Meaning that, if you live in a room with reflections, our speakers should perform pretty nicely. (By the way, if you'd like to read more about this, I wrote a blog about it on my own personal site here. This has gotten me thinking about writing a similar posting about the above discussion more specifically. . . I'll think more about that on the weekend.)

Hope this helps explain my earlier posting a little more clearly than I did the first time... If not, please ask! 

Cheers

-geoff 

Hi Geoff (with a capital "G"),

and thanks to replying to my rant!! Firstly, a little bit of an explanation, I'd had a beer or two whilst suffering a 2-0 home defeat in extra time in the league cup and was a little  bit miffed at the time - sorry!!! Anyhoo, cards on the table, I still don't like the wood or lamellae (sorry to the flag wavers for repeating myself).......... personally I would have preferred a more conventional fabric fret, maybe with a similar curved outer profile to the new design, hence my comment about the voicing for the slatted version precluding any likelihood of an optional, more conventional, fretted design for folk like me - my loss I'm sure!!

My comments on the ALT position were from the hip, I feared it might happen before the design was revealed and it did - I'm not keen, visually, of it being plonked on top of the speaker! Afterwards, while I was laid in bed doing my normal "review of the day" thing I realised that I hadn't really expressed myself as well as I should! My thoughts were that, given one of the ALT's properties is narrowing the vertical dispersion, then perhaps any "beaming" type issues in the vertical plane would be more acute, and, given the companies emphasis with the BL12 of the lens being positionable at the "correct height", I couldn't help but think that in the BL18, of all speakers in the range, if there was a technical benefit to be had by fixing the lens at an ideal listening height then this was it and yet maybe it's position had been compromised to allow the designer's wooden slats to run full length rather than interrupt them midlength for the lens (either visible or hidden, I don't mind as long as it's there). If you tell me that positioning the lens on top is as good a technical solution as putting it at ear level then that's good enough for me!Smile

The visual aspects of the BL18 aside, I am excited about the performance increases across the range afforded by the more powerful onboard signal processing capabilities of the new speakers.

Any further blogs or postings of a technical nature would be very welcome - I personally would enjoy and look forward to them!

Perhaps an outline of the internal signal path and architecture of the new speaker internals would be informative to us, the great unwashed (without giving away the company silver, of course)!!

Cheers,

punch.

Ban boring signatures!

Gatex
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 129
Bronze Member
Gatex replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 3:57 AM

Puncher:

This BL is still over designed  ,there is so much going on .and every BL9 owner can agree ,if you kneel down at ALT highed they sound great, there is a always a sweet spot on ALT speakers. Those BL 18you have to put away at least 4-5 meters. forget nearby positioning. or listen to music only staying not sittng. fail design still fail design to me. BL is designed just for designs sake.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
Just had a brief test drove of Adele on the 17s - sounded good - prices are not too bad either !

Surprises were:

-- the green activation light - it was BIG but thankfully fades away, so a nice wow effect

-- the cracked ice was better than expected, but some how some where I had got the idea the coloured covers (not the caps) were interchangeable ... Not ! Except via a service centre

-- you can daisy chain the TOS

-- I sort of linked the off kilter stands but I suspect they are not toddler proof

BeoNut since '75

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 7:35 AM

elephant:

-- the cracked ice was better than expected, but some how some where I had got the idea the coloured covers (not the caps) were interchangeable ... Not ! Except via a service centre

Are you sure? My dealer told me that you pop off the bottom cover and slide out the coloured 'frets', if that's what you mean?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
moxxey:

Are you sure? My dealer told me that you pop off the bottom cover and slide out the coloured 'frets', if that's what you mean?

That's what I mean ! And we looked at the top end - and I felt along the bottom end (but did not look) and it seemed equally sealed however I shall check on the next visit ... Tomorrow ? 😻

BeoNut since '75

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

elephant:
moxxey:

That's what I mean ! And we looked at the top end - and I felt along the bottom end (but did not look) and it seemed equally sealed however I shall check on the next visit ... Tomorrow ? 😻

both "ends" (i.e. the triangular covers for the "top" and "bottom" slide off the loudspeaker. One of them conceals the connectors. The other conceals the top of the Broken Ice grille which is held in place by two machine screw. Remove the screws, and the grille can be easily pulled out of its slot, revealing the two drivers.

Cheers

-geoff (with a small "g")

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I know I don't have to verify what -geoff just wrote, but I can asure you that they are very easy removed.

Did nor try the 'bottom' cover, but the 'top' one clicks off in seconds.

These triangles are avaible in black and white for now.

If the BL17 starts selling well, I see no reason why they shouldn't come in other colours as well.

Even the aluminium-housing could be made in different colours just like other speakers are.

(We all know that the guys in Struer are the experts for 'handling' aluminium).

Would - with different grilles - make it possible to costumize the speakers for every need.

Might be a good argument for 'him' to get new speakers - if 'she' can chooce the colour(s) Whistle

Greetings Millemissen

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Talking about colours... I am wondering why when they offer a different colour range for each items.

BV11: Red, blue, white, black, silver and dark grey.

BV10: Black, white, silver, dark grey, blue, orange, red.

V1: Red, yellow, green and dark grey or silver (colours are brighter than for other TVs).

A8: Black, white, red, green, brown, blue and silver

A9: Silver, red, green, brown and black

I think they should unify the colour range so you can easily match your items with one another.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

+1

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 11:10 AM

PhilLondon:

Talking about colours... I am wondering why when they offer a different colour range for each items.

I think they should unify the colour range so you can easily match your items with one another.

Don't go there - this is one of my pet hates :) I have a BS8 with bright green frets, a BV10 with a bright orange fret and neither are available for the BV11, BL14s etc! I want green across the board. I want orange across the board.

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 11:20 AM
moxxey:

I have a BS8 with bright green frets, ... I want green across the board.

Never knew that - nor that !

BeoNut since '75

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

moxxey:

... I want green across the board. I want orange across the board....

Only Purple to go and you're there!! Big Smile

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 12:14 PM

your mascot, Lee ?

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

olvisab:

your mascot, Lee ?

No, that's his travel suit for USA ...

Peter the biker

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 1:02 PM

moxxey:
I want green across the board. I want orange across the board.

You will make the perfect the perfect Irish citizen moxxey, harmony between the orange/green sides.

Check out our national flag. :-)

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 1:48 PM

9 LEE:

moxxey:

... I want green across the board. I want orange across the board....

Only Purple to go and you're there!! Big Smile

Just wanted to add, the frets aren't different shades at the same time ;) I don't have green BS8 and an orange BV10 in the same room. I mean, I can't always put the same colour range on the same B&O products, at the same time - like Phil, I want the same colour across the range. So, when it's Halloween, orange across the various products. When it's Spring, bright green. LOL.

AdamS
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 373
Gold Member
AdamS replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 2:43 PM

I'm going to reserve judgement until I see them in the flesh, but my initial reactions are that the BL17 is rather cute, the BL19 is odd but could be appealing in real life, and the BL18 is just not to my liking at all.

However I have no doubt that the BL17 and BL18 will sound fabulous as Geoff and his team never fail to work miracles in this area! I hope that the BL19 sounds good and Lee seems to suggest that it sounds different to the BL2 so my hopes are high. Let's face it - improving on the BL2 can't have been much of a challenge...Wink

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 2:46 PM

Nothing like as powerful - but likely to be much more musical. ABRs are, I believe , the cause of the problem. Still not heard an ABR speaker that I really like. The BL2 is good for LFE in films though, which is how mine is used. BL19 = 2x 160W  - BL2 - 1 x 850W. The sound pressure results also seem to favour the BL2.

Peter

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 3:19 PM

One of the characteristics of speakers with passive radiators is poorer damping than a conventional bass reflex box (well, depending on how well designed and implemented the BR box is). That, and the fact that there is only one mathematical alignment possible as opposed to several for BR, unless someone's changed the math since I learned this stuff. Often they are used because the desired cabinet size and driver will result in a vent tube that is far too large to fit in the box, at least if you choose a vent diameter that's large enough to not huff and puff and blow your house down. Vent noise is very distracting and more likely to be an issue at loud low bass notes. I still wonder how much of the dismay about the BL2 with music is due to improper setup, just setting to the room position called for by the instructions, and the xover point based on the speakers can not be expected to work in all or even most cases. From what I recall there are three xover settings and three position settings on the BL2. Getting a sub to integrate properly with mains is a time consuming and difficult process. And subs are very room placement sensitive. This is of interest to me more than just a theoretical as I want a sub for my BL8000s when I get them moved to the living room, and I was considering a used BL2. I don't think the BL11 would have enough low end oomph (though it would look incredibly cool sitting on the cabinet), so maybe what I really need is a BL19.

As for the frets influencing the sound, definitely, particularly with frets like the BL18 has. I have a friend and colleague who used to work for RCA Thomson. He wrote a short paper for an ALMA meeting a while back about how badly the effects of stuffing a small speaker inside a TV cabinet with a molded in grill affected response, and how he chose driver specs that were the inverse of the baffle/fret effects to result in the desired response curve when combined. Nothing too radical there, but apparently a lot of mass market TV makers then didn't even begin to think about things like that, being a long way from the high end of audio/video sound. His sets used to get written up for having above average sound quality with the built in speakers. I proofread his paper for him and was amazed at how severe the effects of the sets grills and such were on the speakers response. Yowsa, map of the Himalayas time.

I found geoff's comments about the importance of the power response into the room right on as one would expect from a man with his experience and a company like B&O. Sean Olive at Harman has been a big proponent of this for some time, and as I recall the B&O phase link speakers used a driver to correct a dip in power response in the crossover region between the bass and tweeter or midrange drivers all the way back in the 70's, making them one of the earliest companies to really recognize the importance of power response. This is one of the things you notice when you attend a DIY speaker builder show, there are lots of speakers with very detailed and laboriously produced plots of freq response on axis that measure well in that respect and sound absolutely dreadful in a real room. And speakers with great power response, as geoff says, often show on axis response that's anything but "perfect."

Still don't like the BL18's though...sorry to have to say so. I'm sure in the flesh they look better than they photograph, that's true a lot for cars as well, some that photograph poorly look wonderful in reality when you see them in 3 dimensions. But I still prefer my 8000s, though I think the 17 and 19 are cool.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Flappo
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 850
Bronze Member
Flappo replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 5:12 PM

Tbh if that's the best they can do I suggest they shut up shop a la Loewe

Apple will bring a new tv out next year - then bno = kaput !

Sticking bits of wood on a speaker design that's 20 years old , tragic

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 5:16 PM

as usual very positiv post from you

Congratulation for your avatar, this one suits you perfectly this time

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 5:22 PM

Flappo:
Apple will bring a new tv out next year

I already read this in 2011. This is pathetic !

The only one who had balls to do it was Steve JOBS.

They will just run their CASINO until the launch of a better one, like in Vegas.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 5:54 PM
olvisab:

as usual very positiv post from you

Congratulation for your avatar, this one suits you perfectly this time

beosound 5/BM5 , beosystème 4500 , 4 beolab 3, beolab 7.2, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, beovision 7-40 mkIII , beovision av 9000, IWS 2000

+1

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 6:04 PM

Flappo:

Flappo, really....  what is the point bothering if you're going to post simple, throwaway drivel like that ? Sad

I'm all for people having an opinion... and people criticising demonstrating some insight into why they are criticising, but you seem to just pop up these days and have a random empty snipe or rant, then disappear again back under your bridge.  If Apple are going to destroy B&O, then what will happen will happen.  They won't, but that's your opinion - which you are welcome to, of course.

If you hate B&O, or if you just don't care any more, please... save your valuable time and ignore the brand, and this site.  All this does is make you look silly - and personally I think you're more intelligent than that.

hadr
Top 500 Contributor
Switzerland
Posts 92
Bronze Member
hadr replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 6:45 PM

9 LEE:

Flappo:

Flappo, really....  what is the point bothering if you're going to post simple, throwaway drivel like that ? Sad

I'm all for people having an opinion... and people criticising demonstrating some insight into why they are criticising, but you seem to just pop up these days and have a random empty snipe or rant, then disappear again back under your bridge.  If Apple are going to destroy B&O, then what will happen will happen.  They won't, but that's your opinion - which you are welcome to, of course.

If you hate B&O, or if you just don't care any more, please... save your valuable time and ignore the brand, and this site.  All this does is make you look silly - and personally I think you're more intelligent than that.

+1

I have been following this - and all the previous - threads from the start and I have to say that i see this launch as a positive move for B&O. Even if the new range is not universally appraised it still caused a stir and I hope it will increase the exposure of the brand to a new audience. Then some are bound to like them and even if only a few buy them it would still be a success for B&O in my book. No matter what we think of the "old" 800x and 4000 apparently they stopped selling so they had to be replaced.

Personally I quite like the new BL18 and reserve judgement for the 17 & 19 until I see them in the flesh. I don't see much use for the 17 in my situation but I wouldn't say no to BL 18 paired with 19 in my new apartment (when that happens) :)

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

The good thing is that the whole B&O range is starting to be more consistent, and is again ahead in term of technologies, with an all digital NL and wireless speakers.

All the Beovisions are now NL, and when we finally get an NL Beosound, which is a matter of weeks, the migration will be complete.

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

cooldude
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 101
Bronze Member

Totally agree.

B&O moved into the new millenium, finally....
All old and legacy models discontinued and now forging ahead with new models, new tech inside, wireless, acoustic lenses everywhere, ice power everywhere. Great to see finally things coming together.
Personally I like the BL17 less, but that's a matter of opinion. The new sub looks good and the BL18 looks great.  I am sure the designers assignment was to update, not to radically change the BL8000 concept.
I wish there would be a good pic somewhere with white lamella instead of the wood.  If the white version looks good, I might be very interested.

Yesterday I looked at the website, watched the videos and read the magazine. All look good to me.

Great to see Tue becoming the 'face' of the company. Identity is important. I know it does not make him popular with some on this forum.
Also fantastic to see 'Tonmeister' Geoff coming more into the spotlight. Even more : as busy he is, (he definitely has been busy with fine tuning these great looking speakers) he takes the time to explain a couple of things on this forum. Even I understood things........
Kudos to you sir! 

I think B&O took the right decision, did the right things, launched new speakers in the best way they could and is finally ready to move ahead with some interesting new ideas in the future. 

Honestly, this is the first time in yeaaaaars that I am actually looking forward to set foot again into my B&O store !

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 7:58 PM

cooldude:

I wish there would be a good pic somewhere with white lamella instead of the wood.  

I agree. There is just the one picture of the lower portion with the white. I have asked my dealer to send me a picture of the white as soon as they get a pair in.

Page 4 of 8 (288 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > ... Last » | RSS