Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Three New Products - My Review.....

This post has 287 Replies | 7 Followers

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE Posted: Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:09 PM

BeoWorld were this morning invited to the Bang & Olufsen flagship store in Knightsbridge at 8.30am for an advance preview of the new wave of offerings from Struer.

You'll all be seeing plenty of photos of them I'm sure, so rather than pepper you with images I'll just give you a good, honest review based on my experience of Bang & Olufsen products past and present.  I hope it will give you a feel for the products before you see them..

The three new products then :

BeoLab 17

Clearly a kind of BeoLab 4000 replacement, but way superior.  Designed by Torsten Valeur (the same man who has designed the BeoLab 8000 replacement we've all been talking about) and to be fair he's done a great job.

The fret (called 'broken ice') is basically an insert (which can be interchanged with several plain cloth options by the way) which is easily removable by simply popping the top off the speaker and sliding it out.  The tops can be changed for different colours too which offers a degree of flexibility if your colour scheme changes.

The cabinet design isn't the same on both edges either as you look down on it from above, so it's lost that 'almond' shape of the BeoLab 4000 which means you've more options to have them either on their side, top, upside down, on a shelf stand, table stand (comes in the box as standard) or wall brackets - oh, and floor stands which look similar to a BeoLab 3 floor stand with an off-centre pole. The floor stands are pretty short though, so if you've got them as rear speakers and have a high backed sofa it could be awkward!

The speaker is wireless, and the engineers had a bit of a challenge getting a wireless speaker to work whilst it's encased in metal!  However, not one but four wireless antennae have been inserted into the speaker casing - which works very nicely thank you.

Sound?  You'll want a pair of these.  They've a six inch bass driver and what looks like the tweeter from the BeoLab 8000 and with the sound processing technology inside they do sound incredible for their size.  They're not much bigger than an actual BeoLab 4000 but seriously, they sound as crisp as a pair of BeoLab 3 and as very nearly as punchy as a pair of BeoLab 8000. High praise for such a small speaker which is really the low to mid range offering of the range in fairness.

I listened to these in a 7.1 configuration using a BeoVision 11-55 and the new BeoLab 19 Subwoofer (more to come on that) and they were gobsmacking! I really didn't expect them to sound so 'grown up' with such detail and depth. These speakers have clearly been tuned to within an inch of their lives and you can listen to them and safely say they really couldn't sound any better than they do. Well done to Geoff Martin here who has clearly worked his dark arts on them.

In conclusion, they sound sharp yet smooth - and whilst they won't rumble your insides they do pack a great punch. Think BeoLab 8000 "Lite" - but not actually that lite at all....

Price wise, they come in at about £2,590 (that's $3,990 or €2,990) which, for the first time in a long time, I can say is worth it.  These are definitely worthy of the Bang & Olufsen name.

Next....

The BeoLab 19 Subwoofer

Designed by Jacob Wagner, who was given a free reign to do as he liked - and he certainly did!  The outer case design consists of twelve pentagons (a dodecahedron if you're getting technical) and it's actually two separate sections of casing (plastic composite which looks similar to the inner casing of the BeoLab Penta) which are welded together. The effect is actually very pleasing on the eye, and being one of natures five "perfect shapes" it's aesthetically acceptable if you're a design freak too!

Colours will be grey (a metallic finish) and a matt white or Matt black sprayed finish. The metallic grey which I saw looked pretty cool actually.  The front and rear driver surrounds are, as you'd expect, aluminium with fine drilled holes and of course anodised. Very smart, modern and neat looking.

Two drivers, one at the front and one hidden away at the rear give a very tight and precise 'boom' compared to the BeoLab 2.  Not as rumbly at low levels as the BL2 and not as thunderous when cranked up, but tighter - like the bass from the BeoLab 9.  Again, the technology inside allows this sub to process information and react much faster than the BeoLab 2 - and what you get is a lot smoother and precisely delivered.  It leaves me questioning if I prefer the lazy rumble of the BL2, and I'm not sure.  

The BeoLab 2 has the character of an Aston Martin, and the BeoLab 19 has the precision of a Mercedes SLS. Some people like one, some people like the other. It's personal choice on this one I think, but the BeoLab 19 is a great piece of kit - and the big thing is... It's wireless.

Pricing will be around the £2,195 mark ($3,395 or €2,695) - which is pitched perfectly in my opinion. 

next...... the one we've been waiting for....

BeoLab 18 - the BeoLab 8000 "replacement"

Designed by Torsten Valeur, who initially refused to try and emulate the original David Lewis design but after much persuasion picked up his pen and got busy.

First impressions when the black cover was ripped off was "that looks like a Hula skirt!" - but you soon get your head around it the more you study it.  The wood kind of works for me, but it didn't wow me. Initially the oak grille will be offered, soon to be followed by Maple and Walnut.  

Bang & Olufsen actually approached quite a few companies to make these, and only one company was confident they could do it to B&O standards. I got someone to remove the wooden cover from the speaker and had a good look at it - and the craftsmanship is absolutely amazing. For reference the two outer edge 'fins' are stuck on magnetically, so once these are popped off the grill simply slides upwards and off. Easy and neat.

I'd like to see the walnut personally - I think it would suit the speaker, but the wood is a very expensive option anyway and I can see most people opting for the standard matte finish black or white.

The base is not conical like the 8000 but beautifully sculptured and the big, blocky base is now a very shallow but very slightly larger in area than it's predecessor. It works - and makes it look more elegant than the 8000... less industrial and more artistic if I had to sum it up in one sentence. 

The acoustic lens looks suited to them in the flesh. It doesn't look out of place at all, so don't worry too much - the images don't quite do it justice. However, it's a matter of opinion of course.

Sound wise...  Wow.... Really. Wow.

These, again, sound beautifully engineered by Geoff and his team - and there's clearly a lot of processing going on here. They are wireless, but you'd never ever guess - and the sound is simply sublime.

Two very well ported bass drivers deliver a very warm, rich and smooth bass response whilst the acoustic lens gives a sharpness and clarity to the music which really brings it to life.  The lenses seem just as sharp, if not sharper than the BeoLab 3 or BeoLab 9 yet smoother and easier on the ear. I listened to some Michael Buble at low, medium and medium/high volume and I can honestly say I could listen to these for hours.

The 'feel' of the speakers is just that of precision. They sound tight - very tight, but also smooth as silk. They're bassy but no too so, and I can draw a comparison in the way they handle bass to the BeoLab 17. Note I say handle, not sound like - as these sound more powerful and more serious loudspeaker.  If I had to compare them to a speaker in the current range I'd say they were like the BeoLab 9 but without the capacity to boom as much. 

They're a very different beast to the BeoLab 9 though, and it's really and genuinely hard to compare them to any of the current range. These are different, not in a far worse or an infinitely better way - just different.  They're how beautifully designed speakers will sound in the future, that I'm sure of - and B&O got there first in my opinion.

Price wise, they'll be coming in at £3,990 ($6,590 or €4,790) and again I think they're pitched perfectly.  Off the record they are actually much more expensive to produce than the BeoLab 8002 thanks to all the technology packed in them.  For the moaners, yes - they still have paper drivers... LOL

The store launch date for these speakers is apparently November 30th, but I don't know that for sure.

So, there we go. I've been typing this sat in the passenger seat of the car as Matt and myself drive back from London, so please forgive if it's not quite as comprehensive as it would have been had I been at my desk.  Please feel free to ask any questions and I'll do my best to answer.

In all though, these are three good products. I'm impressed with the wireless, which sounded utterly perfect and never dropped out once, and never showed any signs of doing so. WiSA seem a very professional collective who have worked very closely with B&O for almost two years on the technology. I'm going to stick my neck out and say they've nailed it. Well done guys.

Lee

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:16 PM

Thanks for the review Lee.

Now just waiting for latest pics.

Graham

VANTAGE
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 88
Bronze Member
VANTAGE replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:18 PM

Excellent, thanks so much Lee Smile

Any indication on the price of the BeoLab 18?

Thanks.

VANTAGE

Current: Beovision Eclipse 65" v1 - Beolab 50 - Beolab 28 - 2 x BS2 (GVA) - 1 x BS1 (GVA) - Beoremote Halo - H9i

Past:

Beovision MX4000 - Beovision 3-32 - Beovision 7-55

Beosound 9000 - Beosound 5 / Beomaster 5

Beolab 6000 - Beolab 8000 - Beolab 5 - Beolab 3 - Beolab 17

CaptainC
Not Ranked
Posts 43
Bronze Member
CaptainC replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:21 PM
Now I am really excited...can't wait to see and hear! ;)
PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Thanks Lee,

Pics and prices are now on Engadget:

http://www.engadget.com/2013/10/29/bang-and-olufsen-wisa-speakers/

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:37 PM
Thanks for the review. I have been wanting to upgrade the 4000s I have as rears with my 9s in front. Sounds like the 17 might be the ones to choose.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:38 PM

B&O are rolling out a three stage launch for the different time zones, so by the time they're all done you should see all the images on the B&O website this evening.

Lee

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
StUrrock replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 3:40 PM

Glad you enjoyed them.

When I saw them I must admit to being knocked at at the looks and sound.

Really hope they sell well!

kuyttendaele
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 707
Bronze Member

Any info about the wireless transmitters/receivers for the "older" products?

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

http://www.recordere.dk/indhold/templates/design.aspx?articleid=9943&zoneid=5

Sorry for the danish, bur there is a translate button on the site.

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 4:30 PM

kuyttendaele:

Any info about the wireless transmitters/receivers for the "older" products?

Yes, there's a wireless transmitter which has several inputs so can be used with older B&O and also non-B&O products.  It's about 2/3 the size of the old BeoLink Wireless.

Someone mentioned they may actually build things like Spotify into it, but I could have misheard..

Oh - and with immediate effect all BeoVision 11 will have Wireless Inbuilt, plus Spotify.  For older models a software upgrade is available, but it wasn't elaborated upon.

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
Raeuber
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,542
Bronze Member
Raeuber replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 4:46 PM
I don't like Beolab 18 with "solid oak lamella front" at all!

I would like to see them with "black lamella fronts". Any pics available??

Greetings

Räuber
koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 5:00 PM

Are there specificaties available from the beolab18

kai
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 362
Bronze Member
kai replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 5:11 PM
Interesting designs not to sure about then personally, time will tell how good the wireless is in different houses, now all we need is to be able to have multi source audio in every room 👍
Mark
Top 100 Contributor
London
Posts 1,063
Bronze Member
Mark replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 5:16 PM

WOW those Beolabs are really tugging at my wallet, it's good to see wood being used as a medium in  manufacture.

we tend to forget there is more to design than designing.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 5:41 PM

This sounds great Lee, thanks for your report.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Thanks very much for the review. I've also had another look at the new pictures from the older thread. I have to say that I definitely like the new products designwise. I particularly like the subwoofer, but also Beolab 17 and 18 look fresh and very much B&O like to me. If they sound as good as you say and Beolab 17 and 18 make the wireless technology work, then B&O once again has done a tremendous job developing new speakers. Hope, they find the audience and public they deserve.

Rgds,

Kai

Chris Townsend
Top 50 Contributor
Qatar
Posts 3,531
Bronze Member
Of all the speakers I didn't think if be interested in it was the 17's. The web effect is very interesting.

Beosound Stage, Beovision 8-40, Beolit 20, Beosound Explore.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Lucky 9 Lee - others will have to wait a couple of day to see and hear.

Thanks for the review.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
Posts 49
Bronze Member
davieav replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 6:10 PM

can these loudspeakers be used in a cabled set up as well as a wireless set up ?

well done lee...i can sleep easy again...!

Peter
Top 10 Contributor
Earsdon
Posts 11,991
Founder
Peter replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 6:22 PM

Yes - lots of connections!

Peter

Bv7Mk3
Top 150 Contributor
uk
Posts 781
Bronze Member
Bv7Mk3 replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 6:34 PM

Hey Lee Nice one on the review and the pricing sounds good, Smile also maybe just maybe pricing of other New Toys will be good also... A new Music System with wireless connection ect????

davieav
Not Ranked
chester UK.
Posts 49
Bronze Member
davieav replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 6:41 PM

thanks peter !

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

9 LEE:
For the moaners, yes - they still have paper drivers... LOL

"moaners" indeed. Shall we have a "merits-of-paper-cones" fight on the forum?  :-)

Thanks for the kind words about the sound performance! Although it''s nice to get the credit - I only deserve a small part of it, as usual. The acoustics department really is a great team to work with (or is that "with which to work"? - Sentences ending in prepositions are something up with which I will not put.).

I'll pass on the compliments to the Acoustics guys in Struer tomorrow.

Cheers

-geoff

symmes
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 247
Bronze Member
symmes replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 7:11 PM

Geoff Martin wrote: 

"(or is that "with which to work"? - Sentences ending in prepositions are something up with which I will not put.)."

That's the advantage of Ontario. You can end your sentences in "eh". 

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Geoff,

Are the lamellas there to improve the sound quality? Were they suggested by the sound department or by the design department?

P. 

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 8:19 PM

In case Geoff doesn't answer - I asked the same question.

Apparently the lamellas were a challenge as opposed to an acoustic improvement, what with wood not being acoustically transparent and all that...

I suppose the bass not relying on being directional was a help, plus popping the acoustic lens on the top out of the way helped too.  I'm sure Geoff will confirm or deny, but I was told it wasn't done to help the sound - it was a design thing.

One thing I did forget to mention though was the speakers sounded sharper when I was stood up listening to them - and when I crouched down they lost a little of that in my opinion.  I'd be interested to hear Geoff's views on that.

Lee

the_o_master
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 856
Bronze Member

Thanks Lee!

I have to say only:

Ohhh, yeaahhh, wood is on the road again, wood is on the road...... Big Smile

Anybody who knows how many years are gone after the last wooden aplications on the B&O equipement?

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Yendys
Top 500 Contributor
Sydney
Posts 312
Founder
Yendys replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:14 PM
Thanks Lee great review and now that there are some better photos available.... They are starting look really look much better. I'll be definitely looking forward to seeing and hearing them in the flesh now
elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:19 PM
the_5F00_o_5F00_master:

Thanks Lee!

I have to say only:

Ohhh, yeaahhh, wood is on the road again, wood is on the road......

Anybody who knows how many years are gone after the last wooden aplications on the B&O equipement?

Vintage Bang & Olufsen

Not sure if any of my vintage wooden tables decks and amps will be able to drive the modern era of wood detailed speakers ... But it is an interesting thought WRT the wireless thingy !

BeoNut since '75

Ferdinand
Top 150 Contributor
Malmö, Sweden
Posts 541
Gold Member
Ferdinand replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 9:32 PM

And a new video on YT from Bang & Olufsen about the three new speakers and wireless sound technology

It has the three speakers also in it :-)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lsZhCO-wB0o

enjoy

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member
vikinger replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:05 PM

Ferdinand:

And a new video on YT from Bang & Olufsen about the three new speakers and wireless sound technology

It has the three speakers also in it :-)

enjoy

And another still picture (linking to the original 'Teaser' for the moment, where there is an end link to view the 'Full video' that doesn't seem to work just yet.)

http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/immaculate-wireless-sound

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:38 PM

the_o_master:

I guess the last wooden applications on B&O was on the Beovision LX6000mk II, from 1992-1996 Cool

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 10:48 PM
Many more color options and combinations than I expected, for all three speakers. Reading about all 3 on the B and O web page and looking at the various pictures, they all look great.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Oct 29 2013 11:05 PM
Ferdinand:

At the end of the video it mentions a Beo Magazine available for Android and Apple. Anybody know how/where to get it?

stefan
Top 50 Contributor
200 miles from Struer
Posts 2,920
Bronze Member
stefan replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 7:19 AM

You will find it in the app store.

Stefan

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder

BeoLab 18...  naked... Embarrassed

Just thought you guys would be interested to see it.  There's a gap between the top of the sculpted 'cone' and the bottom of the main speaker driver and amplifier housing which I was told was bass porting..

Lars
Top 500 Contributor
Munich
Posts 146
Bronze Member
Lars replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 9:44 AM

Wow, 

Lee, thanks a lot for sharing the information.

I am impressed by the design. Especially the wood, alu combination.

Is there anyone in need of my current speakers ;-)

BS9000, BC6, BC2, BL3, BL11, BL3500, BL2000, BeoTime, Beo EarSet2 3i, Beo, BEO DropStop, BEO Bottle Opener, BeoCom5 including Table Stand, ATV

Christmas Prize Draw 1st Winner 2010 - THANKS A LOT!!!

Struer Trip 2012 - THANKS A LOT!!!

beaker
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 761
Bronze Member
beaker replied on Wed, Oct 30 2013 9:46 AM

Just had a look on the B&O website and the BL18 do indeed look nicer than the picture that was shown before. I dont like them at all when they are wall mounted, I didnt like the BL8000's like that either. They would look much better wall mounted if the conical section wasnt there. I also prefered the bigger chunkier base of the BL8000's. I'm being picky though and overall I like them. I did think they were connected to a white BS6500 in the first picture on the B&O website but alas its a stack of books!

Page 1 of 8 (288 items) 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS