Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Three New Products - My Review.....

This post has 287 Replies | 7 Followers

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

Millemissen:

No review, but my impression listening to the BL17 today.

After readig the review of 9 Lee, I had expected them to be good - but not that good Yes - thumbs up

Set up as a stereoset (the dealer had only got 1 set), I listened to a couple of U2-tracks.

Very impressive - actually I started looking for a sub (although I knew that there was none).

A videoclip ('acoustic Clapton') with the speakers of the BV11 made me think, this is all I need.

Don't know how they did it, but these rather small LS are really amazing.

Maybe these speakers will turn out to be the modern equivalent of the original Beovox S45/S45-2.

Graham

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 7:59 PM

PhilLondon:

The good thing is that the whole B&O range is starting to be more consistent, and is again ahead in term of technologies, with an all digital NL and wireless speakers.

All the Beovisions are now NL, and when we finally get an NL Beosound, which is a matter of weeks, the migration will be complete.

A new Beosound??  Any more details you can share?

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 8:07 PM

A presentation of it has been done in Spain to dealers. (only prototype not working)

A kind of wireless screen/tablet but with some space on the side for maybe some controls.

So, It won't be probably not a 100% touchscreen

The bm5/beosound 5 will stay the flagship of the brand.

I hope it is true. This probably means that the bs5 will be upgraded.

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 8:28 PM

Thanks! 

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Nov 1 2013 10:50 PM

PhilLondon:

The good thing is that the whole B&O range is starting to be more consistent, and is again ahead in term of technologies, with an all digital NL and wireless speakers.

All the Beovisions are now NL, and when we finally get an NL Beosound, which is a matter of weeks, the migration will be complete.

cool dude:

Totally agree.

B&O moved into the new millenium, finally....
All old and legacy models discontinued and now forging ahead with new models, new tech inside, wireless, acoustic lenses everywhere, ice power everywhere. Great to see finally things coming together. 

Agree ... but how to manage and finance one's own transition ?

I was in the city store yesterday and sketched my configuration and asked them what they would do ... I expected a gradual approach based on coexistence ... to be fair I gave no constraints (such as a budget Unsure) ... so their initial recommendation was radical surgery: keep the speakers but drive them via WISA box should/when it arrive/s; remove the ML infrastructure; replace the BVs with an NL BV; replace the Apple ecosystem with a NAS.

In capital terms, that would mean writing off more than 50% of my B&O investment/assets Sad

Just checked the AU eBay local sales ... 2xBV5s, 1xBV7, 2xBS4 ... seems others are reaching the same conclusions !

BeoNut since '75

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 12:52 AM

9 LEE:

Flappo:

Tbh if that's the best they can do I suggest they shut up shop a la Loewe

Apple will bring a new tv out next year - then bno = kaput !

Sticking bits of wood on a speaker design that's 20 years old , tragic

Flappo, really....  what is the point bothering if you're going to post simple, throwaway drivel like that ? Sad

I'm all for people having an opinion... and people criticising demonstrating some insight into why they are criticising, but you seem to just pop up these days and have a random empty snipe or rant, then disappear again back under your bridge.  If Apple are going to destroy B&O, then what will happen will happen.  They won't, but that's your opinion - which you are welcome to, of course.

If you hate B&O, or if you just don't care any more, please... save your valuable time and ignore the brand, and this site.  All this does is make you look silly - and personally I think you're more intelligent than that.

Yes - thumbs up  Well said, Lee.

Flappo keeps dreaming about Apple's new tv, that (according to him) will kill not only B&O -but every other brand...It's 'just around the corner'... yeah - it's been for 2 years now...Flappo just hates everything without a fruit logo. I'm almost starting to miss his old fruity beoworld friend Paul W, who years ago claimed that 'NOBODY buys TV's anymore'...It's all laptops and tablets...Erm..

Sorry - this seems to become off-topic...Wink
I have stated earlier, that I don't like the design of the BL 18 -and I still think so...
But I'm starting to like the BL 17 (without the 'spider web' or 'Ice fret'). And I'm looking forward to the upcoming Beosound.
I've been buying B&O for more than 30 years now and I hope the best for them. But it doesn't mean that I have to like everything they come up with Wink
But I really don't understand why somebody only uses Beoworld to complain about B&O. To those people I will say: Get a life..!

StUrrock
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 995
Bronze Member
Apple are not perfect, but they do seem to deliver usable customer interfaces.
seheiste
Not Ranked
Posts 18
Bronze Member
Flappo:

Tbh if that's the best they can do I suggest they shut up shop a la Loewe

Apple will bring a new tv out next year - then bno = kaput !

Sticking bits of wood on a speaker design that's 20 years old , tragic

What's your message Flappo?
jc
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 107
Bronze Member
jc replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 8:06 AM

Don't feed the Troll!

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 9:51 AM

StUrrock:

Apple are not perfect, but they do seem to deliver usable customer interfaces.

I've got three 27" iMac's at work, along with three iPhones and two iPads.  At home I've got another three 27" iMacs, four iPhones and two iPads. You could say then that I'm an Apple Evangelist.

However, they won't be killing anyone off - and they won't be replacing anyone.  There will always be space for a niche or a differentiation.

We have Hybrid cars, so why do we still buy Diesel and Petrol cars? We can shop online and have our groceries and clothes delivered yet we still go to the stores..  We have tablets, so why do we read physical newspapers and magazines?  We have digital storage, so why does vinyl and CD still sell? 

It's an and/or world we live in, not either/or.  Both can exist.

It's the same as Apple and any other brand.  Apple won't be killing B&O off - and I doubt they care about trying...

Lee

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

"Apple will bring a new tv out next year - then bno = kaput !"

Who says so, hasn't understood a bit of what B&O is about.

But jc is right - we should not feed the trool.

Best thing to do is ignoring.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

olvisab
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,391
Bronze Member
olvisab replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 10:39 AM

Razlaw:
olvisab:

as usual very positiv post from you

Congratulation for your avatar, this one suits you perfectly this time

beosound 5/BM5 , beosystème 4500 , 4 beolab 3, beolab 7.2, beolab 5000, beolab 8000, beolab 3500, beovision 7-40 mkIII , beovision av 9000, IWS 2000

+1

Glad to see there are some beoworld members who read my post. I am sure now you are at least 2 : you and M. FAT cat.:)

4 beolab 5,  beolab 9, beolab 10, beolab 5000, beolab 8000 mk2, beolab 6002, beolab 3500, beovision 7 55 mk2,  2 beovision 11 46 mk4, beotime, beosound ouverture, beosound essence, beoplay A8, beomaster 900 RG de luxe and the collection continues...

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

My opinion on the subject that is not really well-grounded in technological terms. I think apple is NOT producing high quality any more. They used to be a step ahead of competition in terms of their functionality (OS is a good system), design, and quality combination. However, they've become a mass producer through their portable devices. They would have never become big without iPod, iPad and iPhone. However, their PCs used to be really nice. My iMac G4 is great and the iMac G5 still works perfectly. Not sure whether the newer ones are that durable.

By the way - you can't compare Apple to Bang and Olufsen. Bang and Olufsen is serving a totally different niche and producing much more premium products than apple ever did or even strived to do. In terms of quality standards Bang and Olufsen is far ahead of what Apple was in its quality prime from my point of view. But people are not really willing to pay for quality. Most are paying for functionality and want that functionality to be inexpensive. So that's the path that Apple went. Produce functionality and user-friendliness for the masses at an affordable price. Quality can't be too much of an issue then. I mean, let's face it. Most of the customers buy a new iPhone every one or two years. So why even bother about durability? It's of hardly any value to Apple customers anyway. Apple strives to serve the masses and they are conducting their business accordingly. Bang and Olufsen never went that way and probably also couldn't. They are selling top design and quality at absolute premium prices that only few are willing to pay. So, they are serving a totally different niche and even if Apple and Bang and Olufsen were in the same industry, I would hardly call them comparable or even competitors. Totally different philosophy.

Finally, I can perfectly see what Tue Mantoni and Bang and Olufsen are trying to do. And I think it's an absolutely reasonable strategy. There have always been many critics of Tue Mantoni around here. However, from what I can see and read in interviews, he knows what he is doing. Business has become very difficult nowadays for a company with a brand (their most valuable asset) and strategy like Bang and Olufsen. If they wanna stick to their identity and continue to serve their niche in producing top quality premium products - and that's probably what most on this forum expect them to do and the only way to survive in the long run (never sell your most valuable asset and that's what the brand stands for) - they have to go the way they are currently going from my point of view. You can't sell Bang and Olufsen next to Sony and Samsung. They need their own outlets. And they need to excel technologically, in terms of quality and designwise. If there is no niche for a brand like Bang and Olufsen any longer since people want junk electronics like they eat junk food then that'll be it. But I think that niche still exists, although it's getting smaller and less money can be earned in it. Bang and Olufsen needs to stick to this niche since otherwise it's comrpomising on its brand. Beoplay was a good effort to make the niche a little broader again without compromising to much of what the brand stands for.

In sum, I think Bang and Olufsen has done a great job with the launch of Beoplay and the new speakers and I wish them that their products find the customers they deserve. These are very hard times for a company like Bang and Olufsen and times probably won't get much better. Maybe Bang and Olufsen won't be able to survive in the long run because their market has become too small. However, I can hardly see another way for them to go than what they are doing right now. The new speakers are another step in the right direction and hopefully they find the audience and public they deserve.

Rgds,

Kai

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

New review of the IWS speakers here:

http://www.lydogbillede.dk/nyheter/ny-tradlos-hojttalerserie-fra-bo/

Those who need it, please use 'Google-translate'.

N.B. Lot of pics there.

MM

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 2:32 PM

As much as it must pain the more vocal detractors of Tue and company, it begins to appear that B&O has a well thought out plan and approach to moving forward. Play, for expanding the market in a different direction, and wireless, a well thought out and integrated wireless infrastructure that they look like they intend to propagate throughout the line. And are apparently the first company to fully embrace the WISA standard. They also have a way for their stuff to work wirelessly with other brands of sources.

All in all this is starting to look like the kind of approach that could well save the company, and a fairly radical rethink of their gear. There will always be pros and cons re the design of any individual product, but I think this is a positive development. Granted I don't like the 18, but it does look like something no one but B&O would build.

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

moxxey
Top 25 Contributor
South West, UK
Posts 5,359
Bronze Member
moxxey replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 3:28 PM

Manbearpig:

My opinion on the subject that is not really well-grounded in technological terms. I think apple is NOT producing high quality any more. 

There's a huge difference in saying 'NOT produce high quality' and saying they aren't a step ahead of their competition. Two key points:

1) There are few better devices than the new iPad Air and MacBook Pro retina. Superb. Can't fault either of them. Both build extremely well, for a reasonably competitive price. To emphasise these are not 'high quality', I'm not sure how they can be better produced, frankly. How would you improve the MacBook Pro, as an example?

2) Views are purely objective. There are plenty of users who would thoroughly argue that B&O isn't beating their competition. You can buy better speakers for less. A lot of people do not like B&O design. In their eyes, the products are 'NOT top quality' if you take your viewpoint.

The primary reason B&O serves a niche, is simply to do with the pricing :) If the iPad Air was £1500, which it would be if it was a B&O product, then you'd find it would be extremely niche! 

I'm a big B&O fan, but saying some of the Apple products aren't top quality products, is plain daft. Bettered by some competitors? Maybe, yes. But that doesn't affect the quality. Mass production doesn't necessarily equal poor quality. In fact, some hand made products can be prone to human error, due to inconsistencies.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

You're mixing various aspects of my post. Functionality is not the same as quality. Take the car industry for example. Mercedes still works. Hardly any corrosion within the first couple of years. But long term durability has degenerated by a fair margin. Plus: I can hardly see where there's a difference between Mercedes and Audi or BMW nowadays. Products are mostly the same with the same suppliers and quality standards being employed. Think 40 years back. Where was BMW then? BMW was not even close to Mercedes concerning built quality and still trying to construct the Isetta. In fact, only few products granted the survival of the brand and nowadays they are all more or less the same. They work. People like them. But is that quality? Definitely not by the standards to which Mercedes manufactured throughout the 1980s.That's the biggest problem the company has nowadays by the way. They used to be top notch. "Built like a Mercedes" or "the Mercedes amongst the..." were the buzz phrases and to some degree still are today. But compromising on the built quality and letting long-term customers get to know that destroyed much of the value of the brand. This is something that Bang and Olufsen has to prevent by all means from my point of view. Their biggest asset and means of differentiation to other manufacturers is the brand. And the brand stands for quality. You can't sell products purely on grounds of a higher price. Customers are not that naive.

What about apple? Maybe their functionality is still perfect for customer needs. However, I can't tell much difference between all the smart phones. Maybe Bang and Olufsen doesn't sound as well as the competitors. Maybe. But still you can feel the attention that goes into the production process. The way material is handled. The perfection of the finish, the durability and so on. Do you have that in Apple? I can't see it! The surfaces look dirty and get worn really quickly. Their keyboards are to be thrown away after 3 years of usage in my experience. Mouses don't last much longer than a year. Is that the qulity you expect from a top notch brand? I don't. It's all plastic. The products work and fulfill basic customer needs but not much more than that really. That's exactly the mentality most consumers have today. Buy, don't worry much over a couple of years, throw away and buy again. Apple pretty much stands for that nowadays just like any Asian brand does. Bang and Olufsen has always tried to excel in aspects that only few customers even recognize and value at first glance. The products last. It's not so much about cost cutting by all means. They try to produce quality first and then ask the prices that the products cost (including a premium of course). And that's exactly what I like the brand for. Totally different approach and far from being mainstream. Can't see that in Apple products. They are produced at competitive costs with a rather minor price tag that reflects that Apple is maybe a little ahead of the competition in order to appeal to the masses - something that Bang and Olufsen has never tried to and I would also strongly recommend not to do in the future. By the way, I have been using Apple for years. Mostly simple commodity type products with some innovation in them. Not much more than that. Don't get me wrong. I'm not saying they are bad or something. I like Apple. The products work and I've been a satisfied customer for years. But comparing Apple to Bang and Olufsen is way off. Totally different story in my opinion.

Rgds,

Kai

vikinger
Top 25 Contributor
Vestri Kirkjubyr, UK
Posts 5,422
Gold Member

I hope that WISA plus ICEpower now turns out to be the killer system combination that convincingly puts B&O ahead of the competition for a period and ensures their survival.

Graham

linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 4:04 PM

vikinger:

I hope that WISA plus ICEpower now turns out to be the killer system combination that convincingly puts B&O ahead of the competition for a period and ensures their survival.

Graham

I think you are absolutely correct.  It does put them ahead of the competition.  B&O certainly got a lot of media attention on the web and though the WISA organization.  Unlike a lot of posts in this thread, I can hardly wait to see and hear the Beolab 18.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

I wonder how you configure which speaker is left/right/back/front/etc...

Beoworld app with direct photo upload and emoticons.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

PhilLondon:
I wonder how you configure which speaker is left/right/back/front/etc...

Answering my own question...

The answer is available in the interactive guide on this page... http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/sound/sound-systems/beolab-transmitter-1

However their user guide download page is broken... http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/customer-service/product-support/accessories/beolink/beolab-transmitter-1

And I just noticed that they've announced the BeoLab Receiver 1, so you can make any Beolab wireless.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Easy peasy.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 11:48 PM

Manbearpig:
Plus: I can hardly see where there's a difference between Mercedes and Audi or BMW nowadays. Products are mostly the same with the same suppliers and quality standards being employed. Think 40 years back. Where was BMW then? BMW was not even close to Mercedes concerning built quality and still trying to construct the Isetta. In fact, only few products granted the survival of the brand and nowadays they are all more or less the same. They work. People like them.

So true

Manbearpig:
But still you can feel the attention that goes into the production process. The way material is handled. The perfection of the finish, the durability and so on. Do you have that in Apple? I can't see it! The surfaces look dirty and get worn really quickly. Their keyboards are to be thrown away after 3 years of usage in my experience. Mouses don't last much longer than a year. Is that the qulity you expect from a top notch brand? I don't. It's all plastic. The products work and fulfill basic customer needs but not much more than that really.

Not so sure here ... I am still using one of the first Apple unibody laptops, before they change it from Macbook to Macbook Pro.  Yes, it is a little grubby - but some of that is my lack of spit & polish (so to speak).  The basic hit is still the delight it was in January 2009 - much like my 5000s - but it probably won't last as long - not because of build quality but because of software.

And along the lines of software obsolescence ... my 3GS was fine - a few nicks from being dropped - and many scratches - but then my Beosound 2 became scratched on its second day ! (they should have given me a care manual - or I should have bought the LV purse (not that it was around then)).

So the BS2 became obsolete because of software (as much B&O's "fault" as Apple's) and its own internal s/w - 8 bit OS and so a 4GB limit to the SD cards.

And the 3GS had to be retired because it could not transition to iOS7 - but it can be donated to charity as a workable phone and probably will last someone another 4 or 5 years !

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Nov 2 2013 11:49 PM

PhilLondon:
And I just noticed that they've announced the BeoLab Receiver 1, so you can make any Beolab wireless.

excellent - now I can retire my three BeoLink Wirelesses ... anyone interested ?

BeoNut since '75

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 12:06 AM

There's more to a Link room than just wireless audio, what about control of the main system?

Jeff

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

Jeff:

There's more to a Link room than just wireless audio, what about control of the main system?

Who, me ?

Well in my recent post on Maverick's testing I used a Beo4 and tracked what was happening on the MacMini via a remote desktop access from my MacBook - and as I said (as have many others) with a large collection a Beo4 doesn't hack it - but LinkPlayer 2's voice over was a reasonable guide.

But using Mac OSX is excessive for a link room Devil

So when I am in my usual link room mode I am using Apple's iApp called "Remote" - either on the iPad, iPadMini, or iPhone.

I am slightly fearful that there are rumours of an iOS variant of the Remote App coming Whisper

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

vikinger:

Millemissen:

No review, but my impression listening to the BL17 today.

After readig the review of 9 Lee, I had expected them to be good - but not that good Yes - thumbs up

Set up as a stereoset (the dealer had only got 1 set), I listened to a couple of U2-tracks.

Very impressive - actually I started looking for a sub (although I knew that there was none).

A videoclip ('acoustic Clapton') with the speakers of the BV11 made me think, this is all I need.

Don't know how they did it, but these rather small LS are really amazing.

Maybe these speakers will turn out to be the modern equivalent of the original Beovox S45/S45-2.

Graham

Went back to B&O for a road test of WAF.

This was to the Richmond store as it is open on Sundays.

James has done a fantastic job of exploiting Playmakers - he has some 6 or 7 audio targets that you can direct your own music's AirPlay to.

So we listened to our tracks on:

• BL17 ( a PlayMaker was plugged into the BeoLab Transmitter which was then broadcasting to the speakers)
  • BL 3
  • A9
  • BL 12.2
  • BL 8002

Not quite A/B testing as there is always a gap as the wireless switches around but it certainly gave us a lot of contrasts !

Sue rated the 8002s highest acoustically - I am sure once she hears the kerching she will change her tune Big Smile

But we certainly struck a quandary between the BL12.2s versus the BL 17 !  And price-wise they seem comparable !!

I did verify that you can EASILY change the covers by looking at the underneath - again James' attention to detail - he had one of the pair inverted purely for that discussion - a neat trick.  So all it takes is what looks like to Allen key screws to make the swap !

Also took a detailed look at the Beolab transmitter - very very nice compact engineering with a TON of connections and lots of future potential (e.g. what is the 2.1 switch for Smile) but I can tell you that the unit runs hot !

The BL19 is due later this month - and from Millemissen's link to the DK hifi review I spotted this picture ... now there's an idea ! TWO !!

BeoNut since '75

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder

PhilLondon:

Announced ?

Properly announced ?

Or just "in the future we will release a BeoLab Receiver 1" ?

BeoNut since '75

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

elephant:

Properly announced ?

Or just "in the future we will release a BeoLab Receiver 1" ?

Look at this page. Right column, the announcement, and in the middle, you'll see they say it'll be for spring 2014.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Of cource: first let people have the thrill of buing new speakers, then make it possible to use the 'older' already installed BL'sWhistle

No, just joking. It is very B&O'ish - again!

Always thinking of their 'old' costumers - developing gear and adapters that make it possible to combine older devices with the new.

Which other company would put that much effort in making things 'backwards compatible'?

MM

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

... and unless your existing speakers are stored in the cellar, chances you already have the cables for them!

Unlike the transmitter, I hope they're going to make the receiver look pretty neat, as it'll certainly be on the floor next to the speakers in most cases.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

I am sure these are going to be small boxes.

A good possibility for many to get rear speakers installed or moved to a more optimal place.

MM

tournedos
Top 10 Contributor
Finland
Posts 7,357
Bronze Member

PhilLondon:
... and unless your existing speakers are stored in the cellar, chances you already have the cables for them!

Think the future. Five years from now, there will be quite a few installed systems that don't have PL cables because everything was wireless when it was bought. Those folks might still want to add a pair of legacy Beolabs later.

PhilLondon:
Unlike the transmitter, I hope they're going to make the receiver look pretty neat, as it'll certainly be on the floor next to the speakers in most cases.

Looking at some WiFI dongles that almost completely disappear inside the USB socket, it shouldn't technically be impossible to make it so small that it would fit inside, say, the connector bay of a Beolab 8000. But the bad news is that the receiver will need power too Whistle I don't think it will be generally that useful an option for legacy Beolabs, but it's there if somebody needs it.

Anyway, the more I see of this WiSA concept and the kit and connection possibilities that are being announced for it, the more I like it. If this doesn't sell then I don't understand what will.

--mika

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

tournedos:

PhilLondon:

Think the future. ...

I only meant to say that it's ok for B&O to release the receiver a few months after the transmitter. I have to say I didn't think B&O would release a receiver, in order to push the purchase of new speakers by people who want to go wireless. But... if the WISA standard takes off, this will be a big opportunity for B&O to sell their speakers.

B&O is in such in a good place to adopt this standard, as it requires active speakers, which has been its speciality for years.

Manbearpig
Top 100 Contributor
Posts 908
Bronze Member

Hey there.

"Not so sure here ... I am still using one of the first Apple unibody laptops, before they change it from Macbook to Macbook Pro.  Yes, it is a little grubby - but some of that is my lack of spit & polish (so to speak).  The basic hit is still the delight it was in January 2009 - much like my 5000s - but it probably won't last as long - not because of build quality but because of software."

No contradiction here. As I've said in my initial post, Apple used to be much better quality than many of its competitors. I still have my G4 and G5 and am totally satisfied. However, I also use apple at work and my statement referred to my experience with the newer products. I have a feeling they used to be better. However, OS still is a good useable system and the main reason why I stick to Apple products.

Back to topic: I really like what Bang and Olufsen has done with the new speakers assuming that they sound the way I would expect it from the company. I also do agree with the company's overall strategy and am positive that it will pay off. I highly appreciate that Bang and Olufsen seems to be one of the very few brands that sticks to its philosophy of delivering high quality premium products at high prices with the associated difficulties in selling the necessary volumes against the observable overall trend in Western economies.

Cheers,

Kai

Hereford
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Bronze Member
Hereford replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 10:39 AM

My only gripe with the new Beolab 18 is that they made the wood front so wide. It seems to be an aesthetic choice, I don't agree with it.

It makes them look too imposing. Judging by the rare photos of the white and black lamella edition, those look more narrow.

PhilLondon
Top 50 Contributor
London
Posts 3,637
Bronze Member

Hereford:

My only gripe with the new Beolab 18 is that they made the wood front so wide. It seems to be an aesthetic choice, I don't agree with it.

It makes them look too imposing. Judging by the rare photos of the white and black lamella edition, those look more narrow.

I agree, I think the new stand, the new shape of the cone and the net ALT lens work very well. I think that the curved shape of the lamella front is necessary to make the ALT lens work well (design wise). I imagine it wasn't possible to have a curved fabric front so they went for this lamella approach. It makes the speakers a bit shorter and wider, which makes them a little bit more stocky and less elegant.

That said, I think they'll appeal to a lot of people. Some people will like the wood front (I personally like my deco to be rather on the cold and minimalist side, so no wood for me). It's a shame they only push the wooden version in their photos. I'd like to see the white and black version in real life.

I am going to try and see if some of the new speakers are on show at Selfridges or Harrods today...

DMacri
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 881
Gold Member
DMacri replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 11:31 AM
I like when form follows function, and to me it seems B&O is fighting function in the form of he BL18. I do like the BL 17 - the original pictures did not do it justice - and I have not seen the in person yet, but the latest pictures look great. I also love he return of a penta shaped design in the BL 19. Would be a great match to add bass to a BL Penta system, no?

Dom

2x BeoSystem 3, BeoSystem 5000, BeoSystem 6500, 2x BeoMaster 7000, 2 pair of BeoLab Penta mk2, AV 7000, Beolab 4000, BeoSound 4000, Playmaker, BeoLab 2500, S-45, S-45.2, RL-140, CX-50, C-75, 3x CX-100, 3x MCL2 link rooms, 3x Beolab 2000, M3, P2, Earset, A8 earphones, A3, 2x 4001 relay, H3, H3 ANC, H6, 2014 Audi S5 with B&O sound, and ambio 

Hereford
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 87
Bronze Member
Hereford replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 11:47 AM

PhilLondon:

I think the new stand, the new shape of the cone and the net ALT lens work very well. I think that the curved shape of the lamella front is necessary to make the ALT lens work well (design wise). I imagine it wasn't possible to have a curved fabric front so they went for this lamella approach. It makes the speakers a bit shorter and wider, which makes them a little bit more stocky and less elegant.

Agreed. I love how they look from the side, the curves of the cone are gorgeous.

I saw them in the flagship store in Copenhagen yesterday. I didn't like how they were displayed. They were surround by too many dark materials. The wood and bright chrome metal looks better in bright non-wood surroundings. And they were standing against a wall, in my opinion they deserve to be more freestanding so you can enjoy them from the side.

They were playing Norah Jones, and sounded very good, but Beolab 8000 always did vocals pretty well? I didn't hear them really pushed in regards to bass.

The Beolab 19 was smaller than I imagined, the Beolab 2 was also on display and looked bigger.

The Beolab 17 were on stands, never liked speakers on stands - a waste of vertical space in my opinion.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Sun, Nov 3 2013 2:10 PM

I was pretty interested in the 19 until I took a look at the users guide. Unlike, say, the BL2 it only has a low pass filter, no way to high pass filter the L and R mains. Given its designed to be a one way wireless connection from the transmitter, I guess that doesn't surprise me, but unless it's part of a X.1 type setup like a theater setup that makes it hard to properly integrate with an older speaker, and you don't get the benefits of removing the bass frequencies out of the main speakers. 

I wonder too how low it goes, they spec output at 96 dB at 50 hz. 7 liters is a very small cabinet volume for an 8 inch sub driver. 

Jeff

Page 5 of 8 (288 items) « First ... < Previous 3 4 5 6 7 Next > ... Last » | RSS