Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

BeoLab 50

rated by 0 users
This post has 422 Replies | 11 Followers

Earle
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 223
Bronze Member
Earle replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 10:15 PM

seethroughyou:
BRABANTIA.

Made my day! Thank you!

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 10:33 PM
Beofile7:

So now I have a problem. I've fallen in love with this girl and just have to have her! She may be an expensive *** but when you are in love you don't care.

She will haunt me now til I have her!

You do have a problem..... because I'm in love with the same girl.

But it's ok because they can clone her so there's more than one. Good job too otherwise it would have to be pistols at dawn.
9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 10:44 PM

Duels:

WOW. Just WOW....

If I had £23k to spend (or a little bit less according to Nick) I'd order a pair now. Right now.

I told you, didn't I.....

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Thu, Aug 10 2017 11:24 PM
9 LEE:

I told you, didn't I.....

Yes you did. I didn't doubt you for one moment.
jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 2:29 AM

Can someone confirm the price in the USA? 

40k$ Net  a pair is very hard to believe compared to europe.

I know that huge price differences between common between countries but nowadays most luxury brands stay away from that unless there are local taxes or import tariffs

jk1002
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 278
Bronze Member
jk1002 replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 5:18 AM

Just to spell out the math, 27000 Euro a pair minus 20% tax concerted to  USD is 14000$ difference. Thats offensive Bang&Olufsen

Rob - Danish AV
Top 200 Contributor
Melbourne
Posts 376
Bronze Member

they kinda look like they would fall over rather easily?

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 7:34 AM
Rob.B:

they kinda look like they would fall over rather easily?

No they are pretty solid!
linder
Top 100 Contributor
United States
Posts 983
Bronze Member
linder replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 7:36 AM

jk1002:

Just to spell out the math, 27000 Euro a pair minus 20% tax concerted to  USD is 14000$ difference. Thats offensive Bang&Olufsen

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/08/09/1082588/0/en/BeoLab-50-Powerful-excellence-and-perfect-balance.html

This is the press release from what appears to be Bang & Olufsen North America.

If true, the price is outrageous.  I figure I would have to pay close to $45000.00 USD which includes sales tax of 9%.  There is intense price competition in the US and Canada.  There will be few buyers at this price.  I hope it is a mistake. 

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 9:34 AM

linder:

jk1002:

https://globenewswire.com/news-release/2017/08/09/1082588/0/en/BeoLab-50-Powerful-excellence-and-perfect-balance.html

This is the press release from what appears to be Bang & Olufsen North America.

If true, the price is outrageous.  I figure I would have to pay close to $45000.00 USD which includes sales tax of 9%.  There is intense price competition in the US and Canada.  There will be few buyers at this price.  I hope it is a mistake. 

Don't worry I'll ship you a pair to the USA 😀 Sold a few pairs of 18s and 19s to the states since the £ pound has been so weak...

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 9:38 AM

Duels:
Beofile7:

So now I have a problem. I've fallen in love with this girl and just have to have her! She may be an expensive *** but when you are in love you don't care.

She will haunt me now til I have her!

You do have a problem..... because I'm in love with the same girl.

But it's ok because they can clone her so there's more than one. Good job too otherwise it would have to be pistols at dawn.

Good to see you yesterday - hope your Lab 18s aren't too disappointing after the Lab 50s! Steve (Sounds Heavenly) coming over to play with the Lab50s on Tuesday and he'll bring over the Spotify bits for you🙂

OldJack
Top 200 Contributor
Split
Posts 371
Gold Member
OldJack replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 10:08 AM

Looking great from all sides.The only thing I don't like is wooden lamellas.I hate that chopsticks on any beolab.

And I can Imagine they sound better than 5's.Can't wait to hear...

Now,starting to think to revise my budget.The only problem will be to convince my wife that actual price will be half of the price announced Whistle

Beogram 6500 MMC2,Beosound Ouverture,2xBeolab 8000,2xBelolab 4000,Beolab 2,Beolab 7.2,Beo4 navi, 2xBeocom2,Serene,Beosystem 3 mk3,H6 2nd gen,Earphones E8,A8,A9 keyring,Beoplay A1,Bottle opener,Beoplay A2 active(thanks Botty)Wine Set(thanks Botty),4Ktv Samsung 55'',Beolab 7.1 with 42''Panasonic plasma,,Oppo udp-203, LinTronic.

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 10:15 AM
If you think USD40,000 is bad- it might land in Oz for AUD60,000!!! No idea what it will arrive at but I hope that's not the case.

Might fly to UK, go for a short holiday, put in an order and still come back better off. Reminds me of the bad old days of ordering from Denmark and getting it cheaper than buying the same item in Australia even after allowing for the cost of air freight and taxes.

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 10:32 AM

BillC:
If you think USD40,000 is bad- it might land in Oz for AUD60,000!!! No idea what it will arrive at but I hope that's not the case.

Might fly to UK, go for a short holiday, put in an order and still come back better off. Reminds me of the bad old days of ordering from Denmark and getting it cheaper than buying the same item in Australia even after allowing for the cost of air freight and taxes.

I'll send you a pair...😀

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 11:29 AM
SHEFFIELD:

I'll send you a pair...😀

Could be interesting for overseas buyers if there is a VAT refund !

BeoNut since '75

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 1:00 PM

elephant:
SHEFFIELD:

I'll send you a pair...😀

Could be interesting for overseas buyers if there is a VAT refund !

£18,333 ex VAT plus shipping. Easy -  I shipped a split screen camper van from Perth a few years ago, it was a doddle!

SHEFFIELD
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 262
Bronze Member
SHEFFIELD replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 1:04 PM

9 LEE:

SHEFFIELD:

Fortunately for me no p/ex - I'll let you know if I get anything tasty Lee😀

Nothing better than a straight sale. I'm genuinely delighted for you Smile

These really are fabulous speakers.  I know this may sound nonsense - but they really are worth £23k.  The pleasure I could get from a pair of these, if I had the right setting for them, would be immense.  

Please, everyone, and I mean this - don't judge anything until you've seen them, and properly listened to them.  Once you've done this, and if you comment negatively afterwards, I will properly respect your opinion.

Lee

Lee, know of anyone interested in a 2016 pair of Lab 90s...😮

Duels
Top 50 Contributor
England
Posts 2,553
Bronze Member
Duels replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 1:17 PM
SHEFFIELD:

Lee, know of anyone interested in a 2016 pair of Lab 90s...😮

Ouch.
rxcohen
Top 500 Contributor
New York
Posts 201
Bronze Member
rxcohen replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 5:55 PM

Not including shipping (and US duty) this would be US$20K savings. Massive. I think there will be a few of us ordering from the UK. I bought my BL1s and BS9000 from Switzerland way back in 2000 as the price difference was similarly large. I will wait for the aluminum slats (hoping) or just fabric. Not a fan of the wood look...

BV11-55, BS9000, BL1, BL19, Transmitter 1, Beo4, Beocom 6000, BeoTalk1 200, Sennheiser HD600, McIntosh MHA100

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member
Beofile7 replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 7:10 PM

Well here I am with my Beolab 5's and I am now hating them! Just a few minutes with the 50's and it's enough. The difference to me is enormous. My 5's are now for sale. Really!

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member

Well here I am with my Beolab 5's and I am now hating them! Just a few minutes with the 50's and it's enough. The difference to me is enormous. My 5's are now for sale. Really!

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 7:16 PM

I am not ashamed to "slum" it with a pair of second life Beolab 5's LOL... US BL5 owners, send me a PM if you've got a pair for sale, especially good if you're in SoCal! LOL

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 7:43 PM
Sheffield,

Don't tempt me lolStick out tongue

And yes we get ex VAT but will have to pay GST inbound to Australia.

AUD 60k for a pair makes the BeoLab 5s a steal.

I really hope I heard it wrong but if not Sheffield I think you could be getting calls from Australia soon.

Sal
Top 75 Contributor
California, USA
Posts 1,197
Bronze Member
Sal replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 8:02 PM

Maybe I missed it... where are these babies made? Denmark? Czech? Elsewhere?

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Fri, Aug 11 2017 8:09 PM

DK Yes - thumbs up

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Aug 12 2017 12:35 AM
BillC:

Sheffield,

Don't tempt me lol

And yes we get ex VAT but will have to pay GST inbound to Australia.

AUD 60k for a pair makes the BeoLab 5s a steal.

I really hope I heard it wrong but if not Sheffield I think you could be getting calls from Australia soon.

Hi Bill perhaps if they disassemble them into components that are under $1k each we could avoid the inbound 😂

BeoNut since '75

BillC
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 121
Bronze Member
BillC replied on Sat, Aug 12 2017 4:24 AM
Big Smile elephant that's a great idea. The GST alone will pay for a good business class flight somewhere decent or even a pre-pro to attach to the BeoLab 50

What I'm confused is what the heck do you attach the BeoLab 50??? Is the moment good enough for the BeoLab 50?

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Aug 12 2017 8:54 AM
BillC:

What I'm confused is what the heck do you attach the BeoLab 50??? Is the moment good enough for the BeoLab 50?

☹️

Is anything in the current stable good enough ?!?!?

What do current BL90 users use ?!

Attempt #1

BeoNut since '75

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Lots of input 'holes' there - pick the one, that fits with your player.

Why shouldn't a Moment not be 'good enough'?

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Lots of input 'holes' there - pick the one, that fits with your player.

Why shouldn't a Moment be 'good enough'?

MM

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Sat, Aug 12 2017 9:45 AM
elephant:

BillC:
Is anything in the current stable good enough ?!?!?

What do current BL90 users use ?!

Anything able to send 24b/96kHz+ will be "enough", that's not the problem.

So the Moment, the BS Core and even a Chromecast Audio will be ok.

Getting good enough records will be the real challenge...
Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member
Beofile7 replied on Sat, Aug 12 2017 7:35 PM

There is nothing B&O make that can justify using the Beolab 50 speakers! This comment was made by me to the dealer at my demo. He was demonstrating them to me using Spotify off his iPhone. It is a major issue as far as I am concerned. I have a beosystem 7000 driving my Beolab 5's at home and a digital SPDIF cable from the Beogram CD 7000. Even with this it was not good enough so recently purchased a CD transport Cambridge CXC machine. Big improvement but I hate the fact that I have had to resort to such non B&O measures to get the best from my speakers. My question is what are B&O using themselves to drive new speakers during development and particularly when they launch them to the media? 

Beofile7
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 150
Bronze Member
Beofile7 replied on Sat, Aug 12 2017 7:35 PM

There is nothing B&O make that can justify using the Beolab 50 speakers! This comment was made by me to the dealer at my demo. He was demonstrating them to me using Spotify off his iPhone. It is a major issue as far as I am concerned. I have a beosystem 7000 driving my Beolab 5's at home and a digital SPDIF cable from the Beogram CD 7000. Even with this it was not good enough so recently purchased a CD transport Cambridge CXC machine. Big improvement but I hate the fact that I have had to resort to such non B&O measures to get the best from my speakers. My question is what are B&O using themselves to drive new speakers during development and particularly when they launch them to the media? 

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Even Youtube sounds good on a set of BL90 ;-)

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Beofile7:

My question is what are B&O using themselves to drive new speakers during development and particularly when they launch them to the media? 

Of course I can't answer that question - maybe one of the developers will!

Usually they are run by a BSys4-based tv with FLAC files on a USB stick, when being demomstrated.

During development they probably use a BV11 for the analog input (PowerLink),

and I guees that they use something like the Auralic Aries for bitstreaming via SPDIF (because it has support for several different streaming sources...).

I am sure they in general use all sorts of sources for testing.

MM

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sun, Aug 13 2017 2:31 AM
Beofile7:

Big improvement but I hate the fact that I have had to resort to such non B&O measures to get the best from my speakers. My question is what are B&O using themselves to drive new speakers during development and particularly when they launch them to the media?

Yes sadly the BL90 launch was demoed using some kit from an AV studio

BeoNut since '75

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sun, Aug 13 2017 7:28 AM

elephant:

Does this mean I won't get full value from these speakers if I connect my 9000 cd player ?

Or in real terms could I hear the difference now that Im nearer 60 ... ?

TWG
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,672
Gold Member
TWG replied on Sun, Aug 13 2017 9:04 AM

valve1:

elephant:

Does this mean I won't get full value from these speakers if I connect my 9000 cd player ?

Or in real terms could I hear the difference now that Im nearer 60 ... ?

Beosound 9000 etc. isn't a problem. We are just talking about the current audio product line up from B&O and there's nothing that can compete with offerings from other audio manufacturers. The most flexible product is the Essence which will now be replaced by the Beosound Core.

9 LEE
Top 10 Contributor
Eastbourne, UK
Posts 7,218
Founder
9 LEE replied on Sun, Aug 13 2017 9:41 AM

elephant:

I heard them demoed from a MacBook Pro using Tidal...

It was Geoff Martin's MacBook though, so it's probably been turbo-charged. Cool

Page 6 of 11 (423 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > ... Last » | RSS