Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Bang & Olufsen 1.9 beta

rated by 0 users
This post has 216 Replies | 4 Followers

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member
MrAndersen replied on Sat, Jun 30 2018 10:01 AM

Hi guys

First of all sorry about the translations. The agency that we use changed their tooling and nothing worked as it used to and nothing was translated, I'm working with them to solve the issue. 

Regarding the split view. We have two use cases that we are designing for currently, one is for using the app for content, Deezer and TuneIn. The other is setup and configuration only, here the split view makes sense. I can see you point that it doesn't work well for your use and I will talk with the team Monday too see what we can do. The later group is, however, the larger part of our user base right now and will weigh in on our design priorities. 

It is not that we do not listen, I read everything you write in here and bring it to the team. There are a lot of your suggestions and wishes on our backlog and our road map, but they have been pushed. The last 6-9 months we have been working on something big and this has consumed all our time. I can't disclose it yet, but it will be official soon. We really appreciate all the feedback we get from you guys, and I hope you will continue to do so even if it takes us a (too!) long time to actually act on it.

I will keep a tap on your posts in here and try to answer as many questions as I can.

Many thanks and a good weekend to you all

Thomas Andersen

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sat, Jun 30 2018 10:15 AM
Thanks for the response Thomas

My only point would be that adding a few small changes to the Product page can make it more useful, without changing the overall current work flow

The black bar at the bottom can easily include a volume slider.

The product tiles can easily have the three dots for source selection.

The product tiles can easily have a sleep / wake button.

I am not alone in feel I suggesting minor changes to the Product page, which will help first use case users, following your description. Applying these doesn't necessitate an major overhaul

Thanks all the same

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member

Hi Thomas,

Thanks for the latest beta-update (1.9.5.13905).

Today I have tested the status of the problems that I have reported earlier on:

• Configuration of Beolit 12:
    Is now working again Smile
  • No functions on Radio and Music buttons on main screen when BV11/Core combo is in TV tuner mode:
    Partly solved - Music is working fine and will enable me to start playing music from my NAS on the TV speakers (no artwork in app though).
    Radio takes me to the iTunes channel selection, but no response from there on.
  • Trying to join Beoplay M5 to BV11/Core playing Spotify:
    Is now working again Smile

I like the new home screen layout on my iPad mini. Especially when playing on my Beoplay M5 it is very convenient with the new ability to change ToneTouch settings with the Party, Clear, Ambient .. buttons from the split screen view.

Have a nice well deserved weekend.

Best regards - Dyssegaard

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

Aussie Michael
Top 25 Contributor
Melbourne, AU
Posts 3,730
Bronze Member

Thomas A., 

I used the app today for the first time as it is live and updated on my multitude of idevices.  No issues at my end. 

Regards

Michael. 

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Sat, Jun 30 2018 1:28 PM

Sandyb:
My only point would be that adding a few small changes to the Product page can make it more useful,

200% agree, the app must not be a "Where is Wally?" type of app and we should find "vital" function from the home page, e.g.

When I start the app I would like that the device I have selected 1st in my list of product is the one selected by the app when it starts because I consider it to be my master product and I don't want to navigate out of another selection, otherwise, what is the purpose of have the choice to re-order?

When I am on my preferred product pane I would like to be able to play music straight away by pressing a play now button which would resume my play queue where I stopped, instead of going through to the black bar.

When I select a product in the list, I would like that the volume control at the smartphone applies to it, or like Sandyb suggests, that at least a volume control bar exists where the black bar is or like in Mbee design in the product pane

When I want to move forward/backward in the music stream by a given product, I would like to do it from the product pane directly not through the now playing screen

When I want to put a single product at sleep, I would like to be able to do it from the product pane, not through 4 steps .....

When I use the application after a long pause, that I open the black bar for a given product, I would like to be able to access the play queue of the product to resume it a the point of my choice while currently the play queue is unavailable to the app unless you press the play now button which starts the latest track played or if I start playing something else.

I would not say they are minor changes as I'm not a dev myself, but these controls are seen in many different other applications and are simply a shortuct of what is achieved today through the app in two or more clicks.

Et voilà :-)

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Why add a lot of the functions that already are in the now playing screen to the product screen.

(That said, I still miss a direct access to a turn off button for the current product in the now playing screen)

So - overall, I’d rather see the now playing screen of my latest played device/product, when I start the app.

Changing to another product from there is no problem - just tap the product icon at the buttom left.

If the product screen would stay as in the latest beta (with all the settings parameters), it should rather be a screen that you can slide up (or down), when you need it.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

MrAndersen:

The last 6-9 months we have been working on something big and this has consumed all our time. I can't disclose it yet, but it will be official soon. 

Thomas Andersen

I wonder what that might be ;-)))

MM

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

mbolo01:

I would not say they are minor changes as I'm not a dev myself, but these controls are seen in many different other applications

That does not necessarily mean that a Bang & Olufsen app should be made like that.

MM

Vintage_B&O
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 303
Bronze Member

I don't like the iPad landscape mode right now. I have build in the iPad Mini in the wall, to control my smart home and music system. It is build in in landscape mode. 

And I don't need the control of Alarms, Sound, etc. on the home screen. A Split Screen with now playing would be more useful. 

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

Installed official version 1.9.1 and I like the design on the iPhone. I would say it is another bit more elegant and minimalistic compared to the previous version. All in all now it looks really good visually.

As for the iPad version obviously more regular app users on the iPad should be vocal. I don't like using iPad to operate the B&O app so not much opinion here.

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 10:28 AM

Follow up thoughts Thomas.

The app by default opens to the Product page. I have no problem with this per se. I view it as a selector page, which makes sense, and it seems sensible that the app should present that as the first choice when opened.

But given that the app opens to this page, i wouldn't focus its use on setup /  configuration alone as you mention. Seeing setup / config options there is fine, but primarily there should be a few control options that i and others mentioned (MM's suggestion of speaker group selector for BV's is an excellent idea)

A deeper level of control and experience in the Now Playing screen is a separate thing of course. Again, not talking about merging the Product (selector/setup/config) page and the Now Playing page - but minor concessions / control replication on the Product page makes the app better and more efficient. It doesnt compromise either use case use describe above.

I think adding a bit of control to the Product page would make the app so much more efficient, though would need to be applied differently to iPhone and iPad apps, given the split screen iPad version now.

And thanks for the general status update, i appreciate both the engagement, feedback and challenges involved.

Roy
Not Ranked
Netherlands
Posts 11
Bronze Member
Roy replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 11:27 AM
Thomas

I am able to select and to control all my devices with the latest beta version. I didn’t see any issues and everything works fine.

I have some general remarks:

1. The new design is fresh and minimalistic. I like that only the starting point must be always a device and not a function/ provider e.g Deezer or TuneIn. My preferences would be that the starting point is a function/ provider and then the selection of a device or more devices. However, this thought can conflict with the Bang & Olufsen philosophy.

2. The split screen in the iPad version is a nice addition, only it should get a meaningful function/ role. So, I am curious how it will look like when functions/ providers can be selected.

3. The multi room function is complex. I am sometimes confused about the function of the lead speaker and how to switch-off the lead speaker when more device are linked to this speaker.

4. A proper integration with the BV Eclipse would be appreciated and meaningful function to the app.

Roy

Beovision Elclipse 55”, Beolab 8000, Beoplay A6 and M5

AnalogPlanet
Top 150 Contributor
Vienna, Austria
Posts 678
Bronze Member

And one question for Mr.Andersen: is there any way to integrate/enable Deezer Flow function?

Current Music content within the app is limited to playlists and albums - but very often I do not want to make specific choices, just listen to something that I might like... ...any technical reason we don’t have Flow already within the B&O app?

poodleboy
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 303
Bronze Member
poodleboy replied on Sun, Jul 1 2018 11:08 PM

I am only a regular version user of the app. After months of hoohah about Essence 1 and Tune In, let me tell you, it works again!! All I had to do is upgrade. Thanks to the app dudes for taking care of this and backing the Essence 1. 

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 6:40 AM
AnalogPlanet:

And one question for Mr.Andersen: is there any way to integrate/enable Deezer Flow function?

Current Music content within the app is limited to playlists and albums - but very often I do not want to make specific choices, just listen to something that I might like... ...any technical reason we don’t have Flow already within the B&O app?

Agree.

Would love the flow function.

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member

@Sandyb; We will add functions to the page for better control, a beolink control card if you will. I talked to the designers today and we're going to explore how this should look. The challenge (as usual) is consistency across product types, our products behave differently since our approach to creating consistent interfaces across product ranges has not always been successful. I also imagine that some of this will surface in the phone version on the cards as discussed earlier.

@Dyssegaard: Good to hear! We are currently looking at the artwork issue. So far we can only reproduce it when the app has been in the background. Is that also your experience?

@mbolo01: Volume in the black bar has been tried, it was very hard to fit in the bottom control. Perhaps the split screen can help us here and we can put it there for iPad. Regarding playing the current source it should work with play in the bottom black control. Unfortunately the products behave differently when given this command to great frustration for us. We have case with the product team on this. Seeking or scrubbing, is something that isn't widely used, also this behavior changes based on source. This probably will not make it to the controls. Standby is an obvious addition. The play queue is another source of frustration for us, we cannot get the queue without waking the product, we cannot wake the product without asking it to play, poor api design. We can't do it as it is structured today. I hope this answers most of your queries.

@Roy: The multiroom design is complicated and hard to use. The lists we show on that page comes from the products and it is hard to understand why it changes based on the point of origin. We will explore how to expose "tap to join" better in the new design. This function is easier to use and easier to understand. 

@poodleboy: We actually had to update the product software on the EZ MKI because of changes in tunein. That meant giving CPR to an ancient software system (ancient in software timescale, similar to giant breed dog years ;) ), it was hard. No one left in the company who knew it. 

@AnalogPlanet: Deezer flow has been on our roadmap since we started. The products still does not support it. I keep asking and will continue to do so. 

CB
Top 75 Contributor
> You are Here <
Posts 1,762
Bronze Member
CB replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 7:35 PM

Hi Mr Andersen,

I have several Beosounds that start with the timer.

Unfortunately, they do not start synchronized.

Do you think a kind of "join" functionality in the timer choice  could be possible in the (near) future?

Thanks Yes - thumbs up

YannChris
Top 500 Contributor
Larmor Plage - France
Posts 232
Founder

@ Mr Anderson: Please, fix the album art issue on DLNA playback.

Once done, I'll be happy.

On french iDevices, the menu code appears instead of the caption (see screenshot in previous message from Mbolo01 on page 4).

Kind regards,

Yann

Living Room   BV Eclipse - BS Core - BL5 - BL8000 - LC2 x2 - Beo6 

Lounge  Beolink Passive - Cabasse Clipper - Beo4      Kitchen  BL3500 - Beolink 1000

Bedroom    BV9 - BL6000 (Thks Botty) - Beotime - LC2 - Beo5

Garden Lounge   BC9000 - BG 6006 - BL4500 (Thks Botty) - Playmaker - Beolink 1000

Study    BS1 - ML/NL Converter - BL2500 - Beo4 - Form 2 (Tks Botty) - Beoplay P2

YannChris
Top 500 Contributor
Larmor Plage - France
Posts 232
Founder

@ Mr Anderson,

Ok for Deezer, is Qobuz in your roadmap?

Kind regards,

Yann.

Lounge  Beolink Passive - Cabasse Clipper - Beo4      Kitchen  BL3500 - Beolink 1000

Garden Lounge   BC9000 - BG 6006 - BL4500 (Thks Botty) - Playmaker - Beolink 1000

Study    BS1 - ML/NL Converter - BL2500 - Beo4 - Form 2 (Tks Botty) - Beoplay P2

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member

@YannChris: Is DLNA cover art always missing? The only thing we have reprod is when it has been in the background. Regarding Qobuz we do not plan any more integrations at the moment I'm afraid

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:41 PM
MrAndersen:

Is DLNA cover art always missing?

EDIT: happens with an A6 too, so I guess it’s the same for all products.

The cover always disappears after a few moments of playing a DLNA track, and as well when it has been in the background.

Image 1: iPhone joined the party, no cover

Image 2: next track, both had the cover for a while up to the moment the iPad lost it

Image 3: in some cases both have lost the cover image

I could not find timing consistency .... and I don’t want spending the night to find one Big Smile

Note: This behavior has been observed with tonight’s release.

I also have the same a behavior when playing casted music: cover appears at the beginning of a track, like for DLNA, and disappear also after a few moments, but i was able to observe that from time to time the cover comes back and disappears suddenly in less than a second, like a flash.

BS Moment, BS Core, BG 4002, BC 4500, BS1, BL18, BL19, BL8000 + RCV1, A6, M5, M3, A1, P6 (tks Botty), H5, TR1

Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:46 PM
Exactly the same here.
mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:51 PM
YannChris:

On french iDevices, the menu code appears instead of the caption (see screenshot in previous message from Mbolo01 on page 4).

This is fixed in tonight’s release

ps57
Not Ranked
Posts 9
Bronze Member
ps57 replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 8:54 PM

MrAndersen:

I am pleased with the functionality of the App, my wife and I love that our two iPhones both – in sync - can be used as remotes for our BL20 (via Core) and the M3. 

I have one wish:   Implementation of Active ROOM COMPENSATION. 

Your sound engineers have made a huge effort to develop ARC. (Ref. Geoff Martin’s blog B&O Tech articles #40 and #50). And the advanced ARC is now part of BL50 and BL90 SW and can be controlled via the app.

So, I want: Implementation of ARC for products like BL20 connected to the Core in the App. It should to possible to add the feature in parallel with e.g. loudness. ARC need sound measurement via microphone, perhaps the build in mic in iPhone is ok? 

/PS

Ulrike
Top 500 Contributor
Germany
Posts 174
Bronze Member
Ulrike replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 9:04 PM

MrAndersen:

Regarding Qobuz we do not plan any more integrations at the moment I'm afraid.

Dear Mr. Andersen,

that's a pity for sure.

Something to consider:

Qobuz will come to America too this fall:

https://www.soundandvision.com/content/qobuz-coming-america

Me, I never would consider to subscribe to Spotify, Deezer or Tidal because of Qobuz' so much better sound quality and also so much better remasterings with additional informations available only from Qobuz.

Subscribing for Hi Res streaming up to 192 kHz is pricey, 350 € a year, but for me no doubt about the fact that it's worth it.

I never would switch to Deezer or whatever for being able to play  B&O integrated music.

But I surely would buy more B&O devices if Qobuz would be integrated and I would not need to play Qobuz via Chromecast only, which is unreliable sometimes.

Kind regards,

Ulrike

YannChris
Top 500 Contributor
Larmor Plage - France
Posts 232
Founder
YannChris replied on Mon, Jul 2 2018 10:07 PM

I noticed that after a few moment, the elapsed time counter freezes, then the artwork disappears a few seconds later. 

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member
Hi Thomas,

I have tested the NAS playback on my BV11/Core combo again on the beta update (1.9.5.13943). When I have selected an album, cover art is present in the list of songs on the album, but when I start playing, the “playing now” screen is without cover art. The app has not been in the background when this was tested.

Living room: Beovision Eclipse 55, Beolab 3 / R1 (back), Beolab 2 / R1 (sub), AppleTV 4K. Bedroom: Beovision 11-40, AppleTV 4. Home office: Beoplay M5. Kitchen: Beoplay M5. Travel: Beoplay H8, Beoplay A1. NAS: WD My Cloud Home / Plex DLNA Server.

jans
Top 200 Contributor
Belgium
Posts 394
Bronze Member
jans replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 7:14 PM
Strange.... when I try to switch to another device by pushing the device symbol in the bottom left of the ‘Now Playing’ screen, nothing happens. The app freezes and I have to restart the app. I am pretty sure this use case was working in the previous version. Any else had a similar problem.

On a positive note, I like the ‘sliding motion’ when selecting a device in the home page on IPhone.

As to the split screen concept on IPad, I have more ambiguous feelings. I think the split screen can be a very useful and user friendly approach, however it needs improvement. The icons on the left are far too big. They should be smaller so that you can see multiple devices without having to scroll. The right side panel should support a user’s most frequent use case, i.e. some sort of the ‘now playing’ pane.

Or maybe reverse the logic. The ‘now playing’ screen becomes the main screen, and the left-side pane can slide in and out when you want to select a device or go to the support/config pages

Just my 5 cents

Jan
Sandyb
Top 50 Contributor
Posts 2,186
Bronze Member
Sandyb replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 7:21 PM

Yes, had some app freezes - though i'm on iOS12 beta, so wasn't sure where the issue lay.

I do also like the idea of using a slide over approach - over what, and containing what i dont know, but there are many options i guess.

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

jans:

Or maybe reverse the logic. The ‘now playing’ screen becomes the main screen, and the left-side pane can slide in and out when you want to select a device or go to the support/config pages

Exactly what I suggested a couple of days ago.

MM

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Tue, Jul 3 2018 10:13 PM
jans:

Strange.... when I try to switch to another device by pushing the device symbol in the bottom left of the ‘Now Playing’ screen, nothing happens. The app freezes and I have to restart the app. I am pretty sure this use case was working in the previous version. Any else had a similar problem.

Yep,

Exactly the same problem here

Livingroom: BL3, BL11, BV11-46 Kitchen: Beosound 1 GVA, Beocom 2 Bathroom: M3 Homeoffice: M3, Beocom 2  Library: Beosound Emerge, Beocom 6000 Bedroom: M5, Essence remote  Travel: Beoplay E8 2.0, Beoplay EQ, Beoplay Earset

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Jul 4 2018 5:57 AM
Hiort:

Exactly the same problem here

Same app freeze here (regular IOS)

MrAndersen
Top 500 Contributor
Posts 226
Bronze Member

I have created a bug on it and we are looking into it

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Wed, Jul 4 2018 8:04 PM
Interesting inconsistency ....

Talking about play queue debate around the way tracks are inserted or added to the current play queue:

If you start a DLNA album by pressing the play now button, album tracks are inserted after the currently playing or last played track in the play queue Sad

The above applies to DLNA playlists Sad

If you start a Deezer album by pressing the play now button, the play queue IS EMPTIED first and Deezer album tracks are added to the play queue Big Smile

The above applies to Deezer playlists Big Smile

I may loose the game, but second option is clearly what I’m expecting as consistent behavior

Playing single tracks is consistent across sources, tracks are inserted Sad

Hiort
Top 50 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 2,895
Bronze Member
Hiort replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 5:07 AM
Latest update seem to have fixed the freeze.

Martin
Top 200 Contributor
Sweden
Posts 357
Silver Member
Martin replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 6:16 AM

To Mr Andersen,

well Done with DLNA cover art. It works perfect now wit latest beta version.

best Regards

Martin Ström

Sweden

NEW! Beovision Eclipse 65 2nd generation (G1) with floorstand (from STB Brackets), Beolab 50 front, Beolab 3 rear, 2 x Beoplay A6 linkrooms, 2xBeoremote one BT, Beosound 9000 Mark III (sw 3.4), Beosound 5 (for DLNA only),  Philips Hue (all lights in the home), Oppo UDP-203, Apple TV 4K (2021 model). Beoremote HALO, 3xBeoplay Charging pad, Beoplay M5

Dyssegaard
Top 500 Contributor
Copenhagen, Denmark
Posts 263
Bronze Member
Hi Thomas,

I have tested version 1.9.5.13980 for the DLNA album art, and the status for my setup is:

M5 -> album art present when selecting song and in the “now playing window” initially. When I manually step forward in the queue the next songs are played without album art.

BV11/Core -> album art present when selecting song but not in “now playing window” at all.

YannChris
Top 500 Contributor
Larmor Plage - France
Posts 232
Founder

Martin:

To Mr Andersen,

well Done with DLNA cover art. It works perfect now wit latest beta version.

best Regards

Martin Ström

Sweden

Same for me on Core.

Thanks Mr Andersen !

Yann.

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Thu, Jul 5 2018 8:09 PM
Not all sections are translated:

mbolo01
Top 50 Contributor
Louannec - France
Posts 2,035
Bronze Member
mbolo01 replied on Fri, Jul 6 2018 6:58 PM
Still the same missing French translations with today’s update, as well in Deezer and TuneIn account setup.

Page 5 of 6 (217 items) « First ... < Previous 2 3 4 5 6 Next > | RSS