Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

Your latest addi(c)tion?

This post has 1,503 Replies | 6 Followers

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Thu, Oct 18 2012 11:22 PM

Dennis:
Besides that I also hate the look of shelf brackets. Ick!

Depends on how it looks like and where it's made of. Got one made of glass with an aluminium bracket special made for the Beocenter 9500.

Floating 9500...

Pictures or it didn't happened?

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:
Shall I start making pictures the moment I leave my house, step in my car, pick up the BM1200, pay, go back home, etc. etc.

That would be nice, and dont forget to mention the car make, the weather, who went with you, and did your mother in love like it.Big Smile

Collecting Vintage B&O is not a hobby, its a lifestyle.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 1:38 PM

Leslie:

Take care of this one Dennis! I have three of those and the first one I bought for 10 euro's, cleaned it, replaced the acrylic slider with a self made and sold it on Ebay for 301 euro!Whistle 

Tomorrow I'm gonna pick up the fourth....

I

allready have four.... Dont know exatly why,,,

(yes, yes, pics, right when I have time)

blah-blah and photographs as needed

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 4:21 PM

Søren Mexico:

Leslie:
Shall I start making pictures the moment I leave my house, step in my car, pick up the BM1200, pay, go back home, etc. etc.

That would be nice, and dont forget to mention the car make, the weather, who went with you, and did your mother in love like it.Big Smile

Alfa GT, 23 degr, alone,passed away.....

Brengen & Ophalen

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 9:15 PM

This is the BM 6000 4ch mounted inside a book shelf. It´s the same princip if you choose to mount it on the wall, of course. The wiring is normaly hidden by some other stuff.

This pictures shows how I choosed to mont the consols on the rear of the BM. This BM had a missing wire stand but the mountings were still there. I dismantled the mountings and used the same bearings when I mounted the consols.

This is the frame that the consols are attached to. It is fastened with 4 screws and a reinforcement on the back of the book shelf.

Sadly, the frame is wider than the BM and the consols are to long so parts of them are visible on all sides of the reciever. Next time I rearrange this equpment, I will use a slimmer frame and shorter consols, maybe something like this:

//***

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Fri, Oct 19 2012 9:25 PM

Orava:

Leslie:

Take care of this one Dennis! I have three of those and the first one I bought for 10 euro's, cleaned it, replaced the acrylic slider with a self made and sold it on Ebay for 301 euro!Whistle 

I

Now you really making me curious in what condition they are.... The one I got today has already been taken apart, so tomorrow I will finish it!

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

It seams a little complicated. In the bottom cover make 2 keyhole holes, use 2 of the bigger holes already there, file the smaller part upwards, and position 2 flat headed screws with plastic plugs in the wall, the screws long enough to compensate for the feet highs on the unit. I am about to do this with my BM 2400, and yes pics to follow. 

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

The BeoVirus got to me again, as you remember I was asking some time ago, what to buy, a radial or a tangential, I would like a Tangential just for the looks, but a lot of members told me to stay with radial (BG 5000 being one of the best, and I have one), then Evan started telling about BM 1000, and went looking, but came on this BG TX2 and made a bid, it was buy now USD 69.00, I bid 50.00 and got it, the MMC2 is broken needle, but I have some good with Axel to do with, so here the pics from the bay. Do not blame me, Its Evan, virus and the look.

Do I now get an Axel MMC2 or MMC4, I have BG 2400, BG 5000 with SMMC4 and MMC4 (still good) or do I get an Axel MMC2, my records are mostly good- to good+, only a couple are pristine new. IS A MMC2 WORTH ITS PRICE. ???

I know there are work to do, but thats what we like, the loose wire should not be a problem and I dont see much abuse on it. I have now in McAlen TX to pick up P45s and this one when it arrives.

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
The south of France and occasionally Dublin Ireland
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 9:28 AM

tamtapir:
This is the BM 6000 4ch mounted inside a book shelf. It´s the same princip if you choose to mount it on the wall, of course. The wiring is normaly hidden by some other stuff.

Now that is a good idea, I asked about this on "ye old Forum". The 6000 is a big piece of kit so getting it up on a wall frees a lot of space.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 10:07 AM

tamtapir:

Nice idea Yes - thumbs up Couldn't you just cut off extra lenght from rails?

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:08 AM

Leslie:

Orava:

Leslie:

I

Now you really making me curious in what condition they are.... The one I got today has already been taken apart, so tomorrow I will finish it!

Heres my BM1200's, waiting for my attention...

Only three? No, four, there is Beosystem 1200 (-BeocordSad) on background boxes, including fourth BM. The BS was from first owner for 80€.
The one on right is my first 1200, dead, bought from net for some 10€, and posted to me in a bubble envelope! Aaargh.  One on left down... Frankly I dont know why I bought it? Because it was not bad and cheap? It has lights but no sound.

BS came with guarantee and manuals.

This one is the nicest of them, I got it for 30€'s from nice retaed gentlemen, I got to swear that I'm going to restore it, not to trash it. He had it from new. It is mainly functional, but old...

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 12:45 PM

Holy Bagger (Crap)!! Thought I was a nerd. That's quite something you have "Orava". I think the one with the manual will sell for a lot of ping ping on Ebay! Congrats!!

Brengen & Ophalen

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 2:01 PM

Leslie:

Holy Bagger (Crap)!! Thought I was a nerd. That's quite something you have "Orava". I think the one with the manual will sell for a lot of ping ping on Ebay! Congrats!!

Nerd...?

E-bay is a bit difficult from here... Everything in or out is veeery expensive.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 2:25 PM

Maybe thats why I have these lying around Wink

Or... Is it addiction?

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 3:53 PM

Sorry "Orava", nerd means something like "crazy" I guess. Just a friendly way (my way) saying that you have a lot of stuff! Unless you have more, seeing your pictures, this is just 10% of what I've gotStick out tongue But , welcome to the club of addicted membersWink

Brengen & Ophalen

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:

Sorry "Orava", nerd means something like "crazy" I guess. Just a friendly way (my way) saying that you have a lot of stuff! Unless you have more, seeing your pictures, this is just 10% of what I've gotStick out tongue But , welcome to the club of addicted membersWink

A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Leslie:
Holy Bagger

Urban Dictionary: bagger

www.urbandictionary.com/define.php?term=bagger

An extremely ugly woman; a woman that you would only have sex with if a bag were placed over her ugly face.

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 5:05 PM

Leslie:

No offence. Just like Sören writes: "A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired."

Does not sound like Beo addicted, I guess more like Aplle addicted Stick out tongue

and, yes thats about half of my stuff, mainly those waiting to be served...

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 5:22 PM

Ahem... One can be both...

Jacques

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

chartz:

But then its called "Fruitcake" Big Smile

chartz
Top 25 Contributor
Burgundy, France
Posts 4,171
Gold Member
chartz replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 5:33 PM

Søren Mexico:

chartz:

But then its called "Fruitcake" Big Smile

Well I'd call that a... nerd?

Jacques

tamtapir
Top 150 Contributor
Örebro, Sweden
Posts 521
Gold Member
tamtapir replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 5:51 PM

What is most common, what is the most in demand: The Beomaster 1200 or The Beomaster 1001?

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Hmm - not B&O, but nevertheless I bought a Revox B77 HS 2 track yesterday!

Vinyl records, cassettes, open reel, valve amplifiers and film photography.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Søren Hammer:

Looks nice Søren, but what about space, that one takes some 10 x BM 1000. are there still new tapes available in DK

Leslie
Top 25 Contributor
the Netherlands City
Posts 5,423
Silver Member
Leslie replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 6:37 PM

Søren Hammer:

Soren, what did you do man? That one is for me!Yes - thumbs up

Brengen & Ophalen

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 6:43 PM

Søren Hammer:

Last time we talked you were ...... downsizing ..... !

I cannot see ay blank spaces on you shelves/units.  :-)

valve1
Top 75 Contributor
Posts 1,502
Gold Member
valve1 replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 6:46 PM

Orava:
Or... Is it addiction?

Orava, love your "stack " systems, must be a Finnish thing!

:-)

elephant
Top 10 Contributor
AU
Posts 8,219
Founder
elephant replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 10:51 PM

Søren Hammer:

Hi Soren !

good to hear from you -- hope all is well 

I have been spring cleaning and re-arranging things ... and this thread is making my shutter finger itchy Big Smile

BeoNut since '75

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:14 PM

Orava:

No offence. Just like Sören writes: "A nerd (adjective: nerdy) is a person, typically described as being overly intellectual, obsessive, or socially impaired."

Does not sound like Beo addicted, I guess more like Aplle addicted Stick out tongue

Laughing

Ooohhh - watch out..! Wink Some owners of those small boxes with a fruit on it, are very sensitive and have no sense of humour...Whistle

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Sat, Oct 20 2012 11:45 PM

Back to the subject:
Latest addi(c)tion...

As some might have noticed in another thread, most of my spare time at the moment is spend on my little construction project on the 1.st floor of my house, where I'm making room for my B&O collection - and a bar, etc.

But I still have time to look for some more B&O...Big Smile

And I have just bought this beauty - in almost mint condition, with a SP 12 cartridge:

It was sent to me by the seller - and fortunately he knew how to pack the goods, so it arrived undamaged Lets have a Party !!!

Orava
Top 100 Contributor
Finland
Posts 991
Bronze Member
Orava replied on Sun, Oct 21 2012 1:38 PM

valve1:

Orava:
Or... Is it addiction?

Orava, love your "stack " systems, must be a Finnish thing!

:-)

Nah, it's a thing everywhere where space is limited. I had once 2-tracker A77, hmm no, not going to addected anymore, no...

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

@ Søren: I found it on Gul & Gratis for a good price - hagged the seller down to 1.300 DKK. I couldn't pass it for that price!

Thomann still sells new RMG (old BASF tape division) LPR35 and SM911 which should suit the deck well Smile

@ Leslie: I'm sorry, pal! It is a marvelous piece of engineering which is best described as SOLID! I'm going to recap the beast in november.

@ Eddie: Well - I have gotten rid of a couple of cassette decks, and the Revox is destined to be at the studio. I'm going to take it with me when I move from home!

@ Ed: Thank you - it's autumn here; cold and windy as always... Glad to hear from you, too. 

I am still surprised that tape could sound this good - even compared to the Beocord 9000, this is miles ahead!

My room is messy at the moment - haven't had the time to clean up as I work way too much to pay for my overconsumption Laughing

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 10:11 PM

@Leslie, the BC9500 shelf doesn't count! The Bracket won't be visible once the BC is placed on it! Stick out tongue

@Tamtapir, I like the idea, but I really don't have the space for it right now! But my father has been so kind to lend me a few shelves at his place, so it's gonna stay nice and warm until I'm able to use or display it. 

@Søren Mexico, I really can't make myself modify a B&O product in such a way! Even if it wouldn't be visible I would know that it was there! Maybe you could compare it to the dirt in your BM4400 - Some would say, that it's doesn't play better or worse whether it's there or not, but just the fact, that you know it's dirty inside makes you wonder, if it wouldn't play better if you removed the dirt? Don't know if that makes any sense? Big Smile I enjoy using my equipment more when I know it's clean inside out and working 100%, and I like to keep things 100% original! Smile Your TX2 looks great by the way! The only thing I can say about the pickups is, that I love my MMC1! Don't remember exactly how my MMC4's sound, but the MMC1 is more dynamic and open if I remember correctly. But I must admit, that I probably wouldn't have the MMC1, if I hadn't got it for free - Mainly because I don't have that many records. 

- Dennis

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 11:08 PM

Søren Hammer:

I am still surprised that tape could sound this good - even compared to the Beocord 9000, this is miles ahead!

Miles ahead? With all respect to the Revox...Maybe it's because your BC 9000 is not in top condition..?  Hmm (Afterall, it IS 30 years old)

I have a review from the well respected danish Hi-fi magazine 'High Fidelity' from back then.
In the review they wrote, that in a blindtest they would actually not be able to tell the difference between a record played on a good turntable with a good pickup, and the recording made on the 9000 using a good quality tape...

I'll be happy to mail you a copy of the review, if you want it.

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dennis:
@Søren Mexico, I really can't make myself modify a B&O product in such a way! Even if it wouldn't be visible I would know that it was there!

I think I´m one of the "keep it original guys" here, all my equipment are restored as close to original as possible, I even got original transistor from Martin instead of installing, some "equivalent" ones, for one of my goodies, but there are things B&O forgot when they designed some of their models, one is 2 piece keyhole holes on the BM 2400  to hang it on the wall, the bottom cover has some 50 holes but none to use for hanging it. And when we are at it, Tell me which feet do you attach on your Items if the original rubber feet are worn down or missing, you put originals ?, no sir not available.

I prefer to put 2 or configure 2 small holes, to a 300 USD ugly device that is supposed to have the same function. I´m sorry, I didn´t hang my Beovox 3000 with the original brackets as they was not provided, I hung them on 2 small screws fitted with rawl plugs in the wall. You may have seen my BM 4400 refurb, that one goes into 100 hours or more, do you think I do that for fun, no I do it to keep it working and I´m sorry I could not get the original bad ROE caps, also the diodes and trimmers I have changed are not originals. Well I had a bad day, and you put the extra drop on it, I had my rant and I will do my very best to keep things original, have a good one, Very Kind Regards SorenBig Smile

Steffen
Top 75 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 1,408
Bronze Member
Steffen replied on Mon, Oct 22 2012 11:47 PM

Søren Mexico:
The BeoVirus got to me again, as you remember I was asking some time ago, what to buy, a radial or a tangential, I would like a Tangential just for the looks, but a lot of members told me to stay with radial (BG 5000 being one of the best, and I have one)

Of course you should have both a radial and a tangential...

How could you ever doubt...Stick out tongue Big Smile

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Steffen:

Of course you should have both a radial and a tangential...

How could you ever doubt...Stick out tongue Big Smile

Actually I was looking for a BM 1000, because Evan just loves his, except for the dust, and in passing the Beograms, i just made a bid on this one.

Well I have 3 radials, so the tangential will be for "showing off", and as I made a BG 6500, I know what I have to do with it.

It will be my last buy for vintage, I promised my wife that I wont buy more. Well I didn´t tell her that I cant live without a Beocord Reel to Reel.

Søren Hammer
Top 100 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 953
Bronze Member

Steffen:

Søren Hammer:

Miles ahead? With all respect to the Revox...Maybe it's because your BC 9000 is not in top condition..?  Hmm (Afterall, it IS 30 years old)

I have a review from the well respected danish Hi-fi magazine 'High Fidelity' from back then.
In the review they wrote, that in a blindtest they would actually not be able to tell the difference between a record played on a good turntable with a good pickup, and the recording made on the 9000 using a good quality tape...

I'll be happy to mail you a copy of the review, if you want it.

I have read the review and would agree completely, but my Revox B77 is the special half track 15 IPS version with IEC equalization - a deck that several live albums had been mastered from. The specifications are very close to the Studer B67 which had similar electronics and the same half track heads Smile

The signal to noise ratio is better without the use of dolby (I dislike noise reduction for most uses) and the clarity is unbeatable. It's highly impractical and many times more expensive considering the price tag of new tape and how fast 15 IPS eats it! Beocord 9000 is still my favourite because of this.

The Beocord 9000 is a fantastic deck which I use daily, I had it refurbished with fresh Cannon replacement heads and new capacitors; a good BASF chrome tape still sounds very nice and will continue to do so (so does any decent cassette as the calibration makes the most of it)

Dennis
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 627
Bronze Member
Dennis replied on Tue, Oct 23 2012 12:52 AM

I think we need to separate the two things modifying and replacing a bit.

I know, that the keyhole holes are in the trifles department, but I remember, that some guy had fitted the most ugly shiny "Hi-Fi metal-no-vibrations-feet" under his BeoLab Penta's and it's this kind of modifying I'm not really a fan of. The same thing with the lids discussed here. Some people like it, but I'm not a fan - But beauty is in the eye of the beholder. These two examples is what I would call modification, as it starts to move away from the original concept = no fan. 

IMO!: When you're replacing worn down or missing feet, caps, diodes, trimmers and so on, then you are doing it to get the items back to as original condition as possible and so you are still able to use them. The intention is not to move away from the original concept.  That's also why I've got great respect for the work Leslie is doing with getting discontinued parts made from scratch to get old otherwise useless items back on track. A few examples could be BM4500 glass panels, BL3000/4500 display covers, the acrylic slider window for the BM1200 and so on but with exception of fx his white BS5500 or BeoLab Penta amps with polished metal parts - because we're moving away from the original concept. But with the other parts his intentions is to bring the items back to original condition.

Some people would may call it silly, but I'm not even making keyholes in the underside of my equipment even when it can't be seen because that goes to much in the direction of modifying in my world - I'm not cutting the dust caps of the drivers of my speakers to shim either, because I'm a perfectionist and can't make myself do such a thing. I wouldn't be able to use my MS150.2 without frets if I had cut of the dust caps, and they would be less valuable too - To me! Other people may not be that perfectionistic and wouldn't care. But I did replace the caps in my MS150.2 to make them sound as they did back in the days = Original spec. I wouldn't have a problem installing a pair of Leslie's BL3000/4500 acrylic covers if that meant, that I would still be able to use my beloved equipment - No, they are not original, but they imitate the original thing. 

But to get to a conclusion: We have different opinions about modifying and replacing, and you can do what you want with your equipment - as long as you are happy with it, and are able to use it as you want to! And respect for the work, Søren, with getting your BM4400 back running again! 

Hope you understand what I mean. Smile

Bedtime for me now!

- Dennis

Søren Mexico
Top 10 Contributor
Mexico City
Posts 6,411
Bronze Member

Dennis:

But to get to a conclusion: We have different opinions about modifying and replacing, and you can do what you want with your equipment - as long as you are happy with it, and are able to use it as you want to! And respect for the work, Søren, with getting your BM4400 back running again! 

Hope you understand what I mean. Smile

We are not to far off, about it, and I got you goingSmile

Page 2 of 38 (1504 items) < Previous 1 2 3 4 5 Next > ... Last » | RSS