Sign in   |  Join   |  Help
Untitled Page

ARCHIVED FORUM -- March 2012 to February 2022
READ ONLY FORUM

This is the second Archived Forum which was active between 1st March 2012 and 23rd February 2022

The Three New Products - My Review.....

This post has 287 Replies | 7 Followers

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Jeff:
From looking at the manual for the Wireless transmitter since it has a 2.1 option based on stereo in it appears it has a highpass? Yes, no, maybe?

The Wireless transmitter box has a built-in bass management system that is activated when it is in 2.1 mode. However, it does not have an adjustable crossover frequency (as in the BeoVision 11 / BeoPlay V1). Also, when you use the box's bass management, the low pass filter on the BeoLab 19 should be disabled to ensure that you don't have two low pass filters in the same frequency band.

Cheers

-geoff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 8:28 PM

But it does have a fixed highpass? Can you say what the freq and slope is?

Jeff

I'm afraid I'm recovering from the BeoVirus. Sad

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Jeff:

But it does have a fixed highpass? Can you say what the freq and slope is?

Hi again,

Oops, sorry - the wireless transmitter box's bass management system uses a high pass for the "main" loudspeakers and a low-pass for the subwoofer. Both the low-pass for the sub and the high-pass for the main signals are 4th order Linkwitz-Riley and has a fixed crossover frequency of 120 Hz. This is identical to the default setting in the BeoVision 11, which is described in the Technical Sound Guide, available at http://www.bang-olufsen.com/en/customer-service/product-support/picture/beovision-11.

Cheers

-geoff

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 5 2013 9:19 PM

Thanks! I would imagine anywhere between 80 and 120 would work OK for the older 8000s, especially 4th order. 

Jeff

Ryan
Not Ranked
Toronto, Canada
Posts 33
Bronze Member
Ryan replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 6:25 AM

Has anyone talked about the fact that the oak grille adds $1350 to a pair of Beolab 18's - making them $8,000? It's hard to defend the style over substance argument when they are asking $1350 for speaker grilles.

Lars
Top 500 Contributor
Munich
Posts 146
Bronze Member
Lars replied on Sat, Nov 9 2013 9:09 AM

I do not know all the details, but haven´t they improved the speaker kind of? 

Anyways, either you got it or not. From my point of view the price point is right where it is supposed to be. 

BS9000, BC6, BC2, BL3, BL11, BL3500, BL2000, BeoTime, Beo EarSet2 3i, Beo, BEO DropStop, BEO Bottle Opener, BeoCom5 including Table Stand, ATV

Christmas Prize Draw 1st Winner 2010 - THANKS A LOT!!!

Struer Trip 2012 - THANKS A LOT!!!

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Ryan:

Has anyone talked about the fact that the oak grille adds $1350 to a pair of Beolab 18's - making them $8,000? It's hard to defend the style over substance argument when they are asking $1350 for speaker grilles.

What? The grills are $1350?! They aren't even all that.

Look at the bright side. There is a high chance that grills which will cover the lenses will be an option too.

I am seeing individual blades of varying lengths or paint marks making up the grill that mimics the shape of a sound wave. 

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 1:21 PM

Insane is all i can say.

For that kind of money they must be sound very very very good.

Peter the Biker
Top 100 Contributor
Eastwestfalia
Posts 944
Gold Member

Lars:

I do not know all the details, but haven´t they improved the speaker kind of? 

Anyways, either you got it or not. From my point of view the price point is right where it is supposed to be. 

I am comparing a pair of penguins (Beolab 9) to a pair of Beolab 18 + a Beolab 19.

I shall be at my b&O shop to listen to both speaker pair/triple and then I have to think thrice about a replacement of my BeoVox Penta attached to the Arcam Solo ("sold" and soldered to my Beovision 8 as a pair of Beolab 5...). I hope it will be a hard choice ...

Peter the biker

koning
Top 25 Contributor
holland
Posts 4,220
Bronze Member
koning replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 2:02 PM

I think the winner is the beolab 9

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 6:47 PM
I am considering a pair of 18s as new rears to go with my 9s. Visually they would fit perfectly in my room and I am guessing sound much better than my current 4000s as well as giving me ALT all around.

The more I look at the 18s the more I like them. The 8000s are starting to look dated to me now in comparison.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 8:26 PM

Razlaw:
I am considering a pair of 18s as new rears to go with my 9s. Visually they would fit perfectly in my room and I am guessing sound much better than my current 4000s as well as giving me ALT all around. 

The more I look at the 18s the more I like them. The 8000s are starting to look dated to me now in comparison.

How far do you sit in front of your current rears? The BL18's may not be ideal as rears if they are too close to your seating position as, according to Geoff Martin, the high frequency balance was set at a listening position of 3 metres from the loudspeakers. If you speakers are just behind your seat you may be sitting "under" the sweet spot.

Ban boring signatures!

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Sun, Nov 10 2013 9:55 PM
There are compromises that must be made in virtually all surround sound set ups. I am sure there are similar specific distance that were designed into 3s, 5s, 9s, and 12s. Or is the 18 unique and they have designed it completely different than other ALT speakers? I do not read Geoff Martin's comments as in any way saying the speakers will only sound good if placed at a precise distance.

I have considered a second pair of 9s for the rear but they would be too low. I have considered 8002s given their height, but would not have ALT all around. The 18s seem to be a logical choice.

Beolab 28s Beolab 9s Beolab 12-3s Beolab 1s Beolab 6000s 2 pairs Beolab 4000s Beovision 7-55 Beovision 10-40 Beoplay V1 32 inch Beovision Avant 32 inch Beosound 1 (CD player) Beosound 3000 Beosound 5 Core Essence MKII Beoplay M5

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 6:29 PM

Razlaw:
There are compromises that must be made in virtually all surround sound set ups. I am sure there are similar specific distance that were designed into 3s, 5s, 9s, and 12s. Or is the 18 unique and they have designed it completely different than other ALT speakers? I do not read Geoff Martin's comments as in any way saying the speakers will only sound good if placed at a precise distance.

I have considered a second pair of 9s for the rear but they would be too low. I have considered 8002s given their height, but would not have ALT all around. The 18s seem to be a logical choice.

From the B&O's BL12 page -

"It is important that the Acoustic Lens is positioned so that it directs audio at the appropriate listening height".

Ban boring signatures!

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Oh my what a contradiction! So why is the Beolab18 designed the way it is with the lens way above the listening height? 

I didn't know B&O will put that so explicitly. Isn't functional elegance suppose to be one of its key ethos? But here comes a line that sounds so audiophile. What's going on?

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 7:02 PM

wonderfulelectric:

Oh my what a contradiction! So why is the Beolab18 designed the way it is with the lens way above the listening height? 

I didn't know B&O will put that so explicitly. Isn't functional elegance suppose to be one of its key ethos? But here comes a line that sounds so audiophile. What's going on?

For fronts, they are optimised for a range of ~3m which is fine. My point was that many surround systems are set up with the rears just behind the "listening" sofa. In this case I question the use of BL18's as rears with the lens up so high. I quoted the BL12 page as the other poster questioned whether the lens position was a factor.

Ban boring signatures!

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Puncher:

wonderfulelectric:

For fronts, they are optimised for a range of ~3m which is fine. My point was that many surround systems are set up with the rears just behind the "listening" sofa. In this case I question the use of BL18's as rears with the lens up so high. I quoted the BL12 page as the other poster questioned whether the lens position was a factor.

Oh I see. So that quote was from another poster and not the official site. That makes much better sense now. 

Honestly I think the Beolab12s have much better design and might be better acoustically. I hope they do a revision and add wireless sooner rather than later.

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 7:37 PM

wonderfulelectric:

Oh I see. So that quote was from another poster and not the official site. That makes much better sense now. 

Honestly I think the Beolab12s have much better design and might be better acoustically. I hope they do a revision and add wireless sooner rather than later.

No. The quote is from the official site. The other poster questioned whether the ALT height was relevant.

Ban boring signatures!

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

Oh it is? I couldn't find it... sigh... I don't think today has been good for me.

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Puncher:

From the B&O's BL12 page -

"It is important that the Acoustic Lens is positioned so that it directs audio at the appropriate listening height".

This is not surprising and certainly not contradictory, since the 12's were tuned with the height set so that the tweeter+ALT were at ear height (1.1 m off the floor, approximately 3 m away).

Please remember in this discussion that

1. any loudspeaker has magnitude response that changes with angle of incidence - either in the vertical or horizontal plane.
  2. therefore, when we tune that loudspeaker we have to make a decision about where we're going to sit when we do the tuning. Whether that is "on axis" (i.e. either level with the tweeter when the loudspeaker is plumb, or equidistant to the loudspeaker drivers) or some place else is, more or less irrelevant. We have to pick a spot where it's tuned.
  3. We don't tune any loudspeaker so that it only sounds/measures well in one direction. That would be silly, since few of our customers clamp their heads into position in a "sweet spot". We check (meaning measuring and listening) every loudspeaker for its response (A) on-axis (what ever that might mean for a given loudspeaker), (B) in a listening window around the "on-axis" direction and ( C )  its power response (see my explanation of this in another forum).
  4. On-axis for any loudspeaker is not necessarily where you think it is. (For example, some loudspeakers (and I'm not talking about a B&O speaker here...) are tuned to be flat in a horizontal direction 30 degrees to one side, since not everyone likes toeing in their loudspeakers to the centre. If you know that your customers are probably not going to toe-in, then you would want to make a speaker that is best heard "off axis".)

In other words, a recommendation for one loudspeaker doesn't necessarily apply to another. As I said, BeoLab 12's were tuned with the tweeter at my ear-height. The BeoLab 18's were tuned with my ears at ear-height.

In other words, none of the loudspeakers in the current Bang & Olufsen portfolio are designed to give you a razor-flat on-axis magnitude response from DC to light at the cost of all else (like power response or directivity). This would only make sense if all of our customers lived in anechoic chambers (or, as a close second - used them as near field monitors in highly damped recording studios).

Razlaw:

I do not read Geoff Martin's comments as in any way saying the speakers will only sound good if placed at a precise distance.

Thank you - this is most certainly not what I said. I mentioned distance during tuning for the benefit of those who are good at trigonometry. The question of "where is on-axis" is one of angle, not height or distance. However, angle can be calculated using height and distance if you can throw around a cosine or sine with relative ease. If you're worried about the on-axis response and nothing else, then you will have to get shorter as you move farther away. However, please remember that, in most cases, your distance from almost any loudspeaker in your room is likely greater than the room's critical distance. Consequently, most of the energy you hear is from the power response of the loudspeaker - not the on-axis or off-axis magnitude response.

So, my strong recommendation is to not place so much emphasis on the magnitude response of the loudspeaker at one single angle (or height and distance, if you prefer) unless your listening room is a recording studio or an anechoic chamber.

cheers

-geoff

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 8:08 PM

So, for my benefit, are you saying it's Ok to sit within a metre or so of the BL18's configured as rears and still hear them at their best?

Ban boring signatures!

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

Puncher:

So, for my benefit, are you saying it's Ok to sit within a metre or so of the BL18's configured as rears and still hear them at their best?

I am sorry but that is just a dumb question in my opinion you can easy answer that your self. Of cause BL 18 is not at it best at a rear position but no speaker are that, except special designed rear speakers set in a special design home with ONE person seeing the movie or concert. That will always be the case no matter what brand. 

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 8:29 PM

emilos:

Puncher:

I am sorry but that is just a dumb question in my opinion you can easy answer that your self. Of cause BL 18 is not at it best at a rear position but no speaker are that, except special designed rear speakers set in a special design home with ONE person seeing the movie or concert. That will always be the case no matter what brand. 

Thanks - I bow to your experience!Big Smile

Perhaps you should pass this insight on to B&O!

Ban boring signatures!

Emil Jensen
Top 150 Contributor
Denmark
Posts 766
Bronze Member

I am convined that they are aware of that the perfect world does not exist and I feel that it is what Geoff is trying to say. They calibrate the speakers to perform their best in an average room.

I just feel when you say that you should not use BL 18 as rear it is because you don't get the perfect sound from them. I just feel that you expect something there is not possible, but please give a link to the perfect rear. 

Most things here in life is a compromise...

Beovision Harmony 77" 2nd Gen, Beolab 5, Beolab 17, Beosound 1, Beoplay M3, Beoplay Portal, Beoplay Earset, Beoliving Intelligence 

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Puncher:

I guess the most correct answer is "it depends". More precisely, it depends on:

• the critical distance of your listening room
  • how far away your front loudspeakers are
  • whether you use your surround system mostly for multichannel music or films
  • maybe what you're using as front loudspeakers
  • your personal preference
  • other things that I can't come up with right now...

Personally, I wouldn't see this as being a different problem for the BL18's in particular. To do a "correct" multichannel configuration, all of your loudspeakers should be the same distance from the listening position (search for "Rec. ITU-R BS.775-1" for details). Adjusting for level and delay as everyone does (even me, at home! Embarrassed) is a good trick, but nothing beats having the loudspeakers in the correct positions.

Also, I would say that having matched loudspeakers all around (also as recommended in the ITU document) is also a good idea - particularly for multichannel music. No decent mixing or mastering studio is using unmatched loudspeakers for the front and surrounds - at the very least, the midrange and tweeters are matched. So the idea of having a loudspeaker that is especially designed as a surround channel sounds a little strange to me, personally.

However, the short version of the answer is "yes". Smile

Cheers

-geoff

Puncher
Top 10 Contributor
Durham
Posts 11,729
Bronze Member
Puncher replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 9:17 PM

Geoff Martin:

However, the short version of the answer is "yes". Smile

Then that's that, and I stand corrected Smile

I look forward to hearing them when released.

Ban boring signatures!

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Mon, Nov 11 2013 9:30 PM

Geoff, do you mind if I ask another question I have wondered about, and please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I currently have 9s as my fronts, and as mentioned have been interested in upgrading my rears. I understand that it would be preferable to have the same speakers all around in a surround system. I have considered a second pair of 9s. In my opinion the downside is the low height of the 9s as rears. The possible up side I see, in addition to matching the fronts, is added more uniform bass? 

So my question is, how does a Beovision 7-55, or B and O TVs in general, handle bass if there is no sub woofer and four 9s?  I like the sound of the system without a subwoofer better than with a sub woofer. Do 9s as rears receive much bass in comparison to the fronts when no sub woofer is used or would the additional bass performance of 9s be wasted in the rear?

Thanks!

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi Razlaw,

good question Yes - thumbs up

Looking forward to the answer.

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Razlaw:

Geoff, do you mind if I ask another question I have wondered about, and please forgive me if this is a dumb question. I currently have 9s as my fronts, and as mentioned have been interested in upgrading my rears. I understand that it would be preferable to have the same speakers all around in a surround system. I have considered a second pair of 9s. In my opinion the downside is the low height of the 9s as rears. The possible up side I see, in addition to matching the fronts, is added more uniform bass? 

So my question is, how does a Beovision 7-55, or B and O TVs in general, handle bass if there is no sub woofer and four 9s?  I like the sound of the system without a subwoofer better than with a sub woofer. Do 9s as rears receive much bass in comparison to the fronts when no sub woofer is used or would the additional bass performance of 9s be wasted in the rear?

Thanks!

Hi,

To be completely honest, I don't know (too bad you don't own a BV11 - then I'd have the answer for you… Wink).

However, I'll dig into the bass management schematics and find out the best answer for you. Note that it might take a week or so to get back to you. Hope that's okay...

Cheers

-geoff

Razlaw
Top 25 Contributor
Posts 4,345
Bronze Member
Razlaw replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 2:28 PM
Thank you very much.

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 2:32 PM

Appreciate your participation and info Geoff. 

If  you get time for one more question, why doesn't the Lab 5 use ABL? 

Jeff

Millemissen
Top 10 Contributor
Flensborg, Denmark
Posts 14,680
Gold Member

Hi jeff,

I might have the answer to that:

It is simply not needed!

MM

There is a tv - and there is a BV

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 3:48 PM

Millemissen:

Hi jeff,

I might have the answer to that:

It is simply not needed!

MM

That is what I think the answer is, the bass capabilities are so robust it doesn't need it, but it would be interesting to get a definitive answer. 

Jeff

MartinW
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 389
Bronze Member
MartinW replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 6:59 PM
Hi Jeff, what makes you think BeoLab 5's doesn't have ABL?
kallasr
Top 50 Contributor
Germany
Posts 2,562
Bronze Member
kallasr replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 7:04 PM
maybe this webpage...

http://www.tonmeister.ca/wordpress/2013/11/07/bo-tech-what-is-abl/

Ralf

PS: posting via ipad app, no idea how to insert a link with it.

Living Room: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-2 (Center), Beolab 9 (Fronts), Beolab 8000 (Rears), no Subwoofer. Screen: Sony KD-85XH9096
Dining Room: Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 4000 on stands, fed by Amazon Echo Show 8
Home Cinema: Beosystem 4, Beolab 7-4 (Center), Beolab 1 (Fronts), Beolab 4000 (Rears). Projector: Sony VPL-HW55
Home Office: Beosystem 3, Beolab 7-4, Beolab 5000, Screen: Sony KD-55XH9005 on Beovision 7-40 stand, ML to Beosound 9000 MK3 and Beosound 5/Beomaster 5 (1 TB SSD version)
Bedroom: Sony KD-65XH9077, Beosound Essence MK II with Beolab 6002 and Beolab 11 (all white, wall-mounted)

In storage: Beolab 5000/Beomaster 5000 (1960s). 

Jeff
Top 25 Contributor
USA
Posts 3,793
Silver Member
Jeff replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 7:09 PM

That's it, Geoff mentioned that in his blog posting about ABL, it surprised me. 

Jeff

MartinW
Top 200 Contributor
Posts 389
Bronze Member
MartinW replied on Tue, Nov 12 2013 7:30 PM
No ABL? Has my whole life been a lie??

Why no ABL Geoff?
Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

Millemissen:

It is simply not needed!

Good guess. Smile

Note, however, that the BL5 DOES have thermal protection (which might be considered to fall under the general category of ABL if we're being a little vague… although it has that protection for all drivers, not just the bass, so the "B" in ABL would be misleading here) and thermal compression compensation (which I plan to explain in a future posting on my tech blog).

cheers

-geoff

Geoff Martin
Top 150 Contributor
Struer, Denmark
Posts 672
Bronze Member

MartinW:
No ABL? Has my whole life been a lie??

Unfortunately, I cannot make any statements about the veracity of the history of your existence. Sorry. Someone else will have to answer this question. :-)

Cheers

-geoff

wonderfulelectric
Top 150 Contributor
Posts 563
Bronze Member

I think it's because the Beolab 5 was designed to be more of a theoretically perfect flat at all frequencies and volume model than say the other loudspeakers that are voiced for real listening plus of course the bass drivers are so huge that there is not much of a need to adjust the equalization applied when things get rough.

Page 7 of 8 (288 items) « First ... < Previous 4 5 6 7 8 Next > | RSS